Union Machinist tool chest

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
P3-F/E
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Union Machinist tool chest

Post by P3-F/E » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:57 pm

I picked this Machinist tool chest up a couple of years ago and added some of my Grandfather's things. My Grandfather was an Immigrant from Czechoslovakia; he taught himself how to read and write English and was a accomplished machinist. This was his 1943 ID badge at the age of 43 from the Midvale Steel Co. in Philadelphia where he worked as a machinist until the 1950's.

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Union Machinist tool chest

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:55 pm

Andy,

That Union machinists' chest is a very nice memorial to your dzedzo.

I am guessing that you are Slovak, not Czech. All my grandparents were also immigrants from what is today Slovakia. My father's parents left a small village outside of Kosice before the end of WWI, when it was still part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and my mother's parents left a small village outside of Bratislava after the war, when it was part of Czechoslovakia. I never knew my dad's father. My mom's father was the foreman on a RR gang when I was a kid. I have his hard hat and a few tools. Having been born and grown up not too far from you in Carbon County in NE PA, I am not surprised we have a common heritage.

I have a Union-made machinists' chest, too. Newer though, from the late 1940's, and it's badged CRAFTSMAN. I am still restoring it.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:53 pm

That is an outstanding thing to have. My uncle was a machinist for Timken in Canton Ohio and I remember seeing his chest and the pride he had in it. Only job he ever had after graduating High School.
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

P3-F/E
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by P3-F/E » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:25 am

Greg, I'm half Slovak and half Irish both of my Grandparents on my fathers side were from Hankovce and immigrated to the United States in 1929. My mothers parents came from the Donegal area of Ireland in the 1920's also.

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”