mudbox's flea finds

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Re: mudbox's flea finds

Post by mudbox » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:16 am

Wow, it's been months since this thread has seen an update.
While the flea markets are still closed up my way I've been spending a bit of time finding some gems online.

Two of these gems got delivered here today. :)

A pair of wartime Coleman #502 GI stoves. Both are in lightly used condition and both have the storage cans.
The orange label stove is dated 1945 and the other is 1942.

The '45 stove came with the box and the pamphlet.

I haven't tried to light them yet, but they both appear to be in good working order.

-Jason

gpw_42
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by gpw_42 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:33 am

NICE M1941 stoves, Mud! Have to say I'm a little jealous of that 1945....

Have you gotten your Coleman 530 from the previous page running? If not, I'd recommending have a fire extinguisher handy while you're attempting the first lighting (don't ask how I know!). Also, do the work outside - these stoves sometimes launch a tall flame while lighting. Fortunately, they're not as bad about that as the M1942 and M1950 stoves.

About anything you may want to know is on the Coleman Collectors Forum https://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/ and lots of spare parts at https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/
Last edited by gpw_42 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:42 am

Thanks! Yeah, the #530 fired up that same day. Came to me full of gasoline and it fired right up. I recently restored a 1952 Akron M1950 single burner as well. I would have liked a darker shade of green, but it came out nice.

-Jason

gpw_42

Post by gpw_42 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:50 am

Looks great! I always love brewing a pot of coffee on a freshly restored stove...

The GI stoves were designed to be able to run on regular unleaded gas (RUG), BUT the general recommendation is that its worth the extra cost to use white gas. Gasoline has a lot of impurities/additives, compared to white gas (Coleman fuel and Walmart brand white gas); the RUG clogs the generator on these stoves much faster than white gas.

I got a 530 (civilian model) last year that belonged to a friend of mine's father (who I bought my GPW from). It's been down HARD, despite some serious effort to get it running again. Still want to get it running smoothly. These stoves have been addictive for me!

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:56 am

Yeah, White gas is for sure the way to go.
These little stoves are fun. Easy to work on and hard to kill. will boil water in just a couple of minutes.
-Jason

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:01 am

Mud,
Do you think I could use the ‘42 model for my next crab boil? I promise I’ll give it back.
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:03 am

Why am I just not so sure that I'll ever get it back? :?
-Jason

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:17 am

Picked up a few Things from either the flea or random antique store over the weekend.

Not much wartime stuff here, but a big Plomb slotted and Phillips drivers. A triangle file that I couldn't make out the brand at first an ashtray made from a piece of WW1 munitions. And the fabled GMTK top tray without the box proper. Round handle and single oiler hole make it perfect for either a Hamilton or McAeleer box, but will fit in a Union made box as well.
If someone needs the tray, let me know.

The file turned out to be marked EAGLE and U.S.A. I know Wingnutt had done some research on files. I'll have to see if I can go find that.

The ashtray is pretty cool. While the pennies are dated to 1957, the brass is stamped 3-8-17 from 1917. Also stamped EAC for Eddystone Ammunition Corporation.

Churchill size cigar for scale. :lol:

Weeks ago, I was alerted to an old Cornwell box on Craigslist up near Wingnutt's neck of the woods. Bought by a friend of his on my behalf, I met up with Wingnutt on Saturday to swap an old wooden tool cabinet that I had bought for him months ago.

My end of the deal was Wingnutt's wartime Cornwell collection. Perfect for the box I just purchased. :D

There is a lift out top tray, and a pull out drawer in the center. Space in the bottom for what looks like 3/4" drive stuff.

-Jason

Edit:
From Wingnutt posted HERE. EAGLE is apparently part of the Nicholson family of brands. Page from the 43 pamphlet reposted here for continuity.

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:39 am

Nice little lot of scores there. I always snag the trays when I see them. I've had boxes sans tray before and been able to make a functional box that way. Not sure if I have any missing the tray right now. Will have to look. I need to get versed on files and chisels and start really going after them. I see them all the time but never remember what to look for.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:58 am

Thanks Matt.
Rustman wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:39 am
I need to get versed on files and chisels and start really going after them. I see them all the time but never remember what to look for.
The GMTK Sticky at the top of the tool forum is your friend here. While it's not the best option, I printed the Quartermaster Handbook Truck Company TM-10475 dated Dec. '43 found HERE.

So, I printed those 2 pages (tool images and specs) double sided so it was on 1 page. Then I laminated it and kept it in my flea market bag. It's still in there today just in case I need to refer to it while I'm at the flea.

Wingnutt at one time had made some GMTK Whizs (foldable reference) found HERE. I'm not sure if he has anymore left or not, but that could be a good option as well.

Good luck out there!

-Jason

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:09 pm

mudbox wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:17 am
Weeks ago, I was alerted to an old Cornwell box on Craigslist up near Wingnutt's neck of the woods. Bought by a friend of his on my behalf, I met up with Wingnutt on Saturday to swap an old wooden tool cabinet that I had bought for him months ago.
And worth every mile of the drive through Pennsyltucky to get it!

Cab 1.jpg
Stencil 3.jpg
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:15 pm

mudbox wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:58 am
Wingnutt at one time had made some GMTK Whizs (foldable reference) found HERE. I'm not sure if he has anymore left or not, but that could be a good option as well.
I still make them by request/order. Not so many lately. 2 or 3 per year maybe. Whenever anybody runs into the thread.
TEMPORARY DUTY

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:00 am

Looks like it's been a while since this thread has seen an update.

I was at the flea a few weeks ago and snagged a few things.

I thought I had a winner with this <U><TI><CA> 8" adjustable. But once I cleaned it up, I noticed the small triangle on the reverse panel. From the Triangle tools era.

Rooting through a bin and I discovered these Owatonna flare nut wrenches. They have the wartime branding on them as well as a dusty phosphate finish. Looks like they're made for a handle to be added.

In another bin, I found a handful of cad plated Mustang sockets in 1/2" drive. I've found some before in 1s and 2s, but never this many at once. They cleaned up really well in the Evaporust. If anyone needs them to fill holes, let me know.

I was on vacation last weekend to the Great Smokey Mountains and I found this 1945 dated M-1942 stove at an antique store for a reasonable sum. This has been used, but not much. Still in like new condition. The canister is also dated 1945.

Been a pretty slow year unfortunately.

-Jason

d42jeep
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by d42jeep » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:52 pm

Slow? I think you’ve been having a really good year! Of course, many of your finds are heading west.
Thanks again.
-Don
Attachments
AE5DEDAA-D31D-486F-ACEF-95CB3896EF3F.jpeg
Brazil carry box
B0EA95A8-F503-4398-94DE-26BF4E665956.jpeg
Brazil box with tray
7C31B964-3204-41AF-883E-AB51DF3CB088.jpeg
Brazil 1/4” box
Ford GPW 76344 DOD 11/42 Built in Richmond, CA

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:24 pm

Mud,
Anything found in East Tennessee is technically mine :lol:
Hope you had a great trip and glad you found some stuff as well.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”