Hydraulic Jacks - Military and Commercial

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
TrunkTools
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Hydraulic Jacks - Military and Commercial

Post by TrunkTools » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:53 am

I've got a growing pile of hydraulic jacks. Very little info is available for the larger trucks either Military or Commercial. I see them frequently at auctions and have began to haul them back home. 99% of the time the scrap metal guys haul them to their doom. I've begun to haul them home, and some time sooner then later my storage area will collapse into a black hole due to all the weight so I'd like to compile a "go to list" of what to keep and what to scrap. I'll add more jacks later this week.

Below are some of my recent finds:
Far left looks to be a Hein-Werner 3 Ton ( Reference for G502 Dodge 3/4 Ton - Late )
Far right is green and assume it's John Deere.

Last edited by TrunkTools on Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: Hydraulic Jacks - Military and Commercial

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:38 am

Might help to ID them if you could post any information found on them....cast-in printing, letters, numbers, or a logo?
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Gordon_M
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Location: central and north east Scotland, depending on the day

Post by Gordon_M » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:04 am

T-36_41-J-72.jpg
T-36_41-J-72.jpg (15.25 KiB) Viewed 7020 times
I was looking for a late war 3 ton hydraulic jack earlier in the year for the T-36 toolkit, 41-J-72, and was told the Hein-Werner E3-9A was the jack to have - note the scallops round the cover. I'd think Dodge fans may be interested in any of those that you find.
Gordon

1941 Highway Trailer K-38
1944 Iron Fireman T-36 Snow Tractor
1986 Nolan Road/Rail trailer

TrunkTools
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by TrunkTools » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:15 am

This is "The One That Got Away" that I missed this Spring at a local auction. Wasn't sure about the jack and someone else bid higher than me, and after the hammer came down, I looked closer at the jack as saw "GM" stamped in the side and knew I blew it... should have bid a few more dollars. Would love to get a little photo reference of what these jacks look like so this doesn't happen again. The guy who bought this jack said he needed it back at his garage... after I saw the stamped GM I offered him twice what he paid a few minutes prior.

TrunkTools
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by TrunkTools » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:23 pm

Taking some advice the jacks were looked over for markings... brass tags sure do help...!

Left: Guessing: Hein-Werner G502 Dodge 3/4 Ton (Late) viewtopic.php?f=48&t=227345

Middle: Military Scout Car
From the toolkit of a GMC CCKW https://www.flickr.com/photos/100761653@N07/11187335454
M3A1 Scout Car viewtopic.php?f=82&t=140197&start=0

Right: Still guessing John Deere Tractor

TrunkTools
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by TrunkTools » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:31 am

Just in... Blackhawk jack in OD Green paint. No model numbers seen. Casting reads "3 Ton"

Fully functional. Have not tested under a load.

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:54 am

That green jack could also be Kelley Green, not JD Green. Frankly, I don't think that would do much good to lift up a JD tractor. It's pretty short.

TrunkTools
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by TrunkTools » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:22 pm

lt.luke wrote:That green jack could also be Kelley Green, not JD Green. Frankly, I don't think that would do much good to lift up a JD tractor. It's pretty short.
Two magic words: WOOD BLOCKS...!
Between myself and my 78 years young landlord.... we have a combined "wood block" collection that when stacked on end would be about 3 stories tall. Living next to a lumber mill is nice too as we do run low on those valued wood blocks from time to time.

You did point out something, all three jacks pictured above are identical in height, they just get wider per capacity.

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:13 am

TrunkTools wrote:
lt.luke wrote:That green jack could also be Kelley Green, not JD Green. Frankly, I don't think that would do much good to lift up a JD tractor. It's pretty short.
Two magic words: WOOD BLOCKS...!
Between myself and my 78 years young landlord.... we have a combined "wood block" collection that when stacked on end would be about 3 stories tall. Living next to a lumber mill is nice too as we do run low on those valued wood blocks from time to time.

You did point out something, all three jacks pictured above are identical in height, they just get wider per capacity.
I'm quite familiar with wood blocks and their varied uses. Ford had a tractor Jack that was kinda a scaffolding apparatus which connected to the tractor lift, and the tractor lifted itself. I don't recall what JD had, but I don't real recall ever seeing any special tools or on-board kits for their tractors, to include jacks. I could easily be wrong.

It's a nice collection, and I could use one or two myself though.

TrunkTools
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by TrunkTools » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:47 pm

Gordon_M wrote: I was looking for a late war 3 ton hydraulic jack earlier in the year for the T-36 toolkit, 41-J-72, and was told the Hein-Werner E3-9A was the jack to have - note the scallops round the cover. I'd think Dodge fans may be interested in any of those that you find.

Hello Gordon.... I found a 3 ton Hein-Werner jack but looks like it's a newer updated version. Did some looking around some old ads and the illustration you posted I saw the same jack in a 1939 advertisment and a 1947 advertisement. The jack I'm posting a photo of here is a newer version, the base is different and the tip is a flat cap. Somewhere I saw a 1959 HW catalog that shows the newer style.

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Fred Coldwell » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:53 am

Hi TrunkTools:

Thank you for posting the photo of your latest Hein Werner 3 ton jack. Last month I bought a 3 ton Hein-Werner jack that the seller thought was a 1950s model. Its color is similar to Kelly green and is not olive drab, so I believe it is a civilian jack and not a military jack. Nevertheless, it is pretty close in features to the E3.9A for which Gordon posted an advertisement and it is the only hydraulic jack I presently have for my late WW II Dodge tool kit. Here are some photos of my jack with comments.

I am arbitrarily calling the above photo a view of the jack's front because it has the largest label on this side. Half of the label is worn away, but from what is remaining the model number is partially legible as "E3-[data worn off]". So I'm confident is it a 3 ton jack. The casting on the base reads: " 3 A / MADE IN U.S.A."

The next photo shows the left hand side:

The filler hole is on this side of the main tube and the release valve is on this side of the rear base, as is the release valve on the H-W jack in the advertisement Gordon posted. Here is a rear view:

Note the small gripping (?) peaks in the pad on the top of the shaft and the tell-tale large hex cap on top of the main tube. I believe this hex cap is a positive identifier of a Hein-Werner jack from the 1940s and early 1950s; if it is not present the jack is likely another brand. I'll also theorize that the release valve was to the right of the socket on 1940-early 1950s Hein-Werner jacks. Here is the other side:

Note that the slight rise at the rear of the base extends to this side where it terminates with a screw, whereas on the jack pictured in Gordon's ad it does not; instead, it is flat there. That is one noticeable different in the bases of these two jacks. Here is a close up of the socket:

The cast strengthening ring at the end of the socket is, to my eye, a second identifying feature of Hein-Werner jacks. No other brand jack I've seen (which is far too few for validity) has this ring. So I'll toss out the suggestion that any jack with this strengthening ring on the end of its socket is a Hein-Werner jack. I don't know whether the "R" within a circle is a foundry mark or indicates a Registered Trademark of some type.

Finally, here is a straight-on view of the left side:

This photo shows what I believe is a third consistent feature of Hein-Werner jacks of the 1940s-early 1950s: the pivot point support for the base of the socket is cast into and integral with the jack base rather than being separate metal straps that are attached to the jack base. To my mind this feature is another indicator if quality construction that is meant to last over the decades. This, along with the strengthening rings on the socket and the hex cap, are IMHO three positive identifiers for 1940-early 1950 Hein-Werner jacks that can be used when the label has been obliterated.

The green 3 ton Hein-Werner jack you just posted photos of has all 3 of these features but has the release valve to the left of the socket, perhaps a more modern location. Your Blackhawk jack has none of these 3 features. The jacks on the left and right in the older photos of 3 hydraulic jacks you posted have two of these features but not the large hex cap. The middle Walker 926 has none of these 3 features. I'm undecided whether the left and right jacks in that photo are Hein-Werners or another brand jack. They could be much later H-Ws after the large hex cap was discontinued and after the release valve was moved to the left of the socket. Are there any labels, marks or numbers on them that might identify them as H-W jacks? Could you please post a photo of the "W 3" stamping on the jack at the left? Is "W 3" a true stamping or is it part of the casting? More photos might provide some additional insight. Thanks in advance and let's continue enjoyably discussing 3 ton hydraulic jacks in detail. :)
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

TrunkTools
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by TrunkTools » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:18 am

Fred.... you tackle this like I do with LOTS of attention to small detail...!!! Your jack is identical to the jack illustration posted above in this thread. I spent 2 hours last Sunday night looking at manuals and old ads and your jack is right on the money as a early 30s thru early 50's 3 ton.

I'm working on bottle jacks right now for 1 ton trucks, and even though they look almost the same there are small differences. It nags at me to hear people say "oh that's the same one that's in my truck" when what they have is a standard 1970's jack, and the one they are comparing is a much earlier and much harder to acquire. What really bugs me is when I see a jack misrepresented on ebay for say a 1950's chevy truck, when it's a plain jane modern jack. Anyway Fred you have a great eye for detail.

Gordon_M
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Location: central and north east Scotland, depending on the day

Post by Gordon_M » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:09 pm

Thanks for the detailed work through Fred.

I don't have any proof that this is a 41-J-72 but it does seem to meet the requirements. Two of the jacks I have are very similar, and my third I think is a five ton,but since they are lacking anything other than cast-on features not much to go on.

The little gripping pyramids are interesting. I'm not sure any of mine have them, but they may just be worn flat, of course.
Gordon

1941 Highway Trailer K-38
1944 Iron Fireman T-36 Snow Tractor
1986 Nolan Road/Rail trailer

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Fred Coldwell » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:09 am

TrunkTools wrote:Fred.... you tackle this like I do with LOTS of attention to small detail...!!! Your jack is identical to the jack illustration posted above in this thread.
Hi TrunkTools:

Not quite. As I explained in my lengthy post below, "Note that the slight rise at the rear of the base extends to this side where it terminates with a screw, whereas on the jack pictured in Gordon's ad it does not; instead, it is flat there. That is one noticeable different in the bases of these two jacks."

Below are two photos of the jack in Gordon's ad and of my jack. I've circled the areas which are different, flat on the jack in Gordon's ad but raised on my jack. This is why my jack is not identical to the jack pictured in Gordon's ad and is one reason I think my H-W jack was made slightly later in time.

ImageImage

Gordon, I would be very interested to see a few photos of the actual H-W jack you recently purchased, to study its details and compare them to my jack and the one pictured in your ad. Thanks, and . . .
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:48 am

All,

I picked up a Hein-Werner 3A at the flea market today. This particular example has a "[GM]" embossed on the tube. Not sure of the vintage. Comments welcome.

I posted photos here:
viewtopic.php?p=1596204#p1596204
TEMPORARY DUTY

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”