ORD 5 Ordnance Supply Catalog

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: ORD 5 Ordnance Supply Catalog

Post by Wingnutt » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:05 pm

pjones wrote:I find it difficult to make definitive conclusions about who didn't supply tools based on these data (the ORD 5 and CPA contract data).
Agreed.

If you think I have stated that a Mfgr definitively did NOT supply tools, please point it out, and I will correct it.

By the same token, there's no reason for us to ignore the fact that a few Mfgr's were clearly used as a specification source more often and for a wider variety of tools than other Mfgrs, who were either not used at all or used very minimally, and for tools we don't even associate with G503 or GMTK. As I emphasized several times in this thread, that is not to say that the ORD was only buying tools from Mfgrs they turned to as spec sources, or, that the ORD wasn't buying tools from Mfgrs they did not use as spec sources. By the same token, it certainly doesn't boost my confidence, especially in cases where the CPA books do not indicate major contracts, either.

So, yeah, it would be great to have the SNL's from earlier. They may paint a different picture. But I can't ignore the picture that these SNL's are painting just because it disagrees with what was previously thought based on GMTK manual RAPD figures (random, not representative), repacks (risky vintage and statistically invalid), and the principle that vehicle factory toolkit suppliers were probably Ordnance Dept suppliers, too. Those approaches obviously left a whole lot of Mfgrs out, and may have overstated some others.

If it helps, here is a something you may have missed...
Wingnutt wrote: The real significance of these ORD 5 SNL's for the GMTK guys is this:

(1) verification of additional Mfgr's NOT identified by GMTK manual RAPD figures or period photos, and NOT listed in the CPA War Supply Contracts lists (which had a $50,000 minimum contract value threshold)

(2) more or additional detail in terms of what specific tools a previously verified Mfgr provided than what could be previously derived from GMTK manual RAPD figures, period photos, or the CPA War Supply Contracts lists (which are sometimes too generic in description)
TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:16 pm

Greg,

I am not interested in ignoring any information we have available whether it's this data, CPA contracts, alloy restrictions, the RAPD drawings, or the repacks and didn't mean to imply so. Each provides additional information some with more limitations than others as you have pointed out. None of them are perfect. I am all for adding to the pool of suppliers as this makes it much easier to put a set together and it is historically correct. It also enhances the diversity of sets that will be presented here. Your answer addressed my concerns.
Thanks,

Phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:10 pm

Great, Phil. Sorry if I misread you.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:00 pm

I just realized I had this...

Here is the Mfgr's index...

I'll have more comments and try to post a few more scans pertinent to upper echelon stuff as time permits later.
TEMPORARY DUTY

gpw_42
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by gpw_42 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:37 am

Bumping this old thread for the sake of reminding us all about the breadth of MFRs who were supplying the ORD, and to ask if there's any new info available from additional SNLs?

Reading through this was enlightening to me. I've been slowly working on a 1-MFR GMTK and realize now how historically inaccurate that would be (understanding that no single MFR made everything for a GMTK). It makes for a cool collector "feat," but historically the ORD was much more interested in filling toolkits. Therefore, I would assume that a GMTK composed of a longer list of MFRs is more historically correct than one representing fewer MFRs; I don't think I've found a new idea with that.

Thanks all for this!

d42jeep
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by d42jeep » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:48 am

Wingnutt wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:41 am
Here's something quirky, with no bearing on G503 or GMTK....

I mentioned Peterson Wholesale Hardware upthread, in reply to comments about “Mfgr’s” on the Mfgrs List not always referring strictly to actual tool makers (i.e., Ford, Chevy, Pratt & Whitney, etc).

Peterson was a major wholesaler of tools in Seattle during the war, and I’ve seen snippets of their 1943 catalog before. Curious about what they were providing, I went through the SNL J-4 looking for their Mfgr’s symbol (PTH). Now I’m thinking it might be a mistake.

These are the only two entries I can find:

Anybody else thinking what I’m thinking?

What do you picture when you see the words “Petersen” and “vise grip” in the same sentence?

Unless this is a really bizarre coincidence, I’m thinking the 41-W-458 and -460 'adjustable clamp pliers and vice grip wrench' refers to the 7- and 10-inch versions of the tool that are synonymous with the name Vise Grips, made in DeWitt, Nebraska before, during, and after the war, by Petersen, with an "e", not an "o", until they were bought out by IRWIN in the 1970’s.

I found these sitting in a toolbox on Tuesday.
-Don
Attachments
6168878A-A1CF-4675-81BD-4DB9964DD487.jpeg
1A1F6416-F242-418D-8797-9EE549DD33F7.jpeg
B0CB377F-A911-49F5-A781-EAE85AC9CC83.jpeg
Ford GPW 76344 DOD 11/42 Built in Richmond, CA

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:15 am

That's a nice find with that date stamp!
TEMPORARY DUTY

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:43 am

Man didn't know vise grips had been around that long.
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”