Fairmount Tool & Forging Co. Catalog 1941 and 1955

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Fairmount Tool & Forging Co. Catalog 1941 and 1955

Post by pjones » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:54 pm

Next up.......Adjustable Auto Wrenches.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Next......pliers and adjustable wrench.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:58 pm

Next......Ball Pein Hammers.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:18 pm

Very VERY interesting, Phil.

First of all, the catalog is definitely catered toward government buyers. The Federal Specifications are all the same numbers as the wartime Fed Spec numbers.

The hammer Fed Spec (GGG-H-86) is the same number cited in Willys drawing A-373. That drawing cites "THE FAIRMOUNT TOOL & FORGING CO. #100 G." Note that there is no #100 G hammer in the 1955 catalog. It could be a discrepancy, or the difference between 1945 and 1955, but I think the Willys reference to "100 G" is actually a reference to the entire series, rather than a specific model, which runs from number 101 (2 oz.) to number 110 (3 lbs.). Note that the "80 H" series has the exact same sizes (weights), but all the heads are fully polished. The "100 G" series has black japanned faces. The Willys drawing specifies black enamel.

Note that the back enameled auto wrench is No. 893. Note that it has an open groove (end, and top of fixed jaw) design. The model number of the 11 inch auto wrench that FTF sold to Chevy is listed in SNL G-506 dated 15 October 1943 as No. 893. (There's another juicy tidbit I must hold back, for now). So I would say that's a pretty good likeness of a military vehicle 11 inch auto wrench, granted, in 1955. Note further that the 11 inch Fairmount auto wrench found in the Greg K kit was an open groove design. The markings are not the same, but that is probably the difference between 1945 and 1955. EDIT: After closer examination, these wrenches are not the same. The only thing we can probably safely draw from the catalog is that FTF 893's were their black enameled model.
Last edited by Wingnutt on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:55 am

Wingnutt wrote:. EDIT: After closer examination, these wrenches are not the same. The only thing we can probably safely draw from the catalog is that FTF 893's were their black enameled model.
Yes, that wrench was closed on the working end and open on the other end.

I will have to admit that I was really disappointed with the pliers. I know Luca had always suspected these were post war. While this catalog doesn't exclude them as ww2 era it moves them down my list. It would have been nice to know if the weight was stamped on the opposite side and the length of the hammer head as otherwise it would be very difficult to differentiate a '55 Fairmount Hammer from a '45. The DOEs as previously suspected are most likely post ww2 and are easily recognized with their polished heads and black enamelled handles. Another piece to add to the puzzle....

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:44 am

The DOE's are carbon steel models, Phil. That finish is typical for carbon steel engineers wrenches across the industry. Armstrong, Williams, etc, all made them before the war, during the war, and after the war. I haven't thought much about Fairmount carbon steel mainly because I can't recall seeing one.

I found it interesting that they had the wartime marking on the face.

Were there no alloy models advertised in the catalog? If not, that's really odd and puzzling.
TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:54 am

I will follow up on whether or not there were alloy models this evening. I posted that particular wrench because of the stamping on the face i.e. the one we commonly consider ww2 era. I have seen carbon steel Fairmounts and they routinely show up on my favorite auction site. Weren't pre ww2 carbon steels more parabolic in shape?

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:36 am

Maybe Phil can confirm this, but it looks like the forged tools in 1955 used an INSET stamping of "FAIRMOUNT" as opposed to the earlier RAISED style. I think this may have been common across the industry in the post war era as other mfgers seemed to produce tools in the same fashion. This would apply to the 11" Auto and the DOEs at least.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:15 am

pjones wrote:Weren't pre ww2 carbon steels more parabolic in shape?
The parabolic style that hallmarked the late 20's and early 30's had nothing to do with composition, Phil. Plenty of those thick, primitive looking, parabolic wrenches were Chro-Moly. But Williams Superiors looked the same in 1940 as they did in 1943 and 1947. If Williams, Armstrong, etc, made a carbon steel line during the war, why not Fairmount? I'm not arguing for it. I'm just saying - if I ran into black japanned wrenches with that wartime Fairmount marking on the face - my first thought would definitely not be, "post-war."
TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:24 am

I am not arguing against it but a highly polished wrench face produced during ww2 is not consistent with most other ww2 era wrenches we have seen. That is to say, most of those are roughly finished often with grinder marks still on them. If used, as I suspect Williams were, they would have been used early war. I do not believe a carbon steel line was used consistently throughout the war by any of them. No, I have no evidence just speculation on my part. Having said that, that style fairmount pictured screams post war to me and we now know the "wartime stamping" was used long after ww2.
phil

EDIT: Are japanned and enamelled the same thing?
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:51 am

pjones wrote:If used, as I suspect Williams were, they would have been used early war. I do not believe a carbon steel line was used consistently throughout the war by any of them.
Phil,
If you're interested in disabusing yourself of your belief, read this, from a 1945 Williams Catalog:

pjones wrote:Are japanned and enamelled the same thing?
Technically, no, but I can't vouch for others, to include government agencies, etc, using them interchangeably. Japanning is a layered process which involves baking in between coats. Enamel, as you probably know, refers to a type of paint. The 1942 and 1943 federal specifications for wrenches had requirements for finished and semi-finished wrenches. Semi-finished were to be natural, shot-blasted, and oiled. Finished were to be zinc-coated, lacquered, enameled, japanned, or chemically treated. Period chemical treatments were black oxide and phosphate. Faces were to be "bright and smooth."
TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:56 am

Greg,
Thanks for the Williams catalog and I will read them more thoroughly tonight. However, a few thoughts. Government requirements and what actually was provided are not necessarily the same. Take for example the "bright and smooth". Manufacturers were not able to keep up with demand and many wrenches were supplied to the government poorly finished. As far as Williams and carbon steel....where are those wrenches? They are minute in comparison to the other ww2 era brands we have found. In fact, putting together a complete set for the jeep tool kit or GMTK is nearly impossible. I know, doesn't prove anything but the pieces have to fit the puzzle.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:39 am

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, Phil. Not trying to dissuade you from your opinion.
TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:06 pm

Greg,
Here are the only alloy steel open ended wrenches in the catalog.
image.jpg
image.jpg (114.56 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
Phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:17 pm

Now THAT is a 1950's wrench. Funny how they updated to simple business like shank markings for the alloy line, and kept the old fancy face marking for the carbon steel line.

So I take it you didn't find the elusive perfect-handle FTF screwdriver in this catalog. :lol:
TEMPORARY DUTY

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”