wiring on 24v oil gauge

1956-1966, Hotchkiss, Quarter-ton jeep® series, Wanted, For Sale, and Knowledge Base
timo376
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Re: wiring on 24v oil gauge

Post by timo376 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:38 pm

re the electronic ign, i was told to look for a 12v distributor and coil and they could be wired for electronic ignition, apparently its important that they are "matched" but that may be a bit down the line yet.
I'm also looking at chancing the electronic temp gauge for a mechanical thermostatic one too...
then comes the ammeter... from what I've read, as the ammeter doesn't measure voltage but amps, they should work on a 6v,12v or 24v system so long as they can measure the range, but I'm hoping for a definitive answer that a "12v" 50amp range ammeter is ok to use on the 24v system :-)
TIM

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:15 am

How are you getting on with the Jeep? Not sure we're going to have any significant events in the first half of the year, but I'm hoping we may get a few later, so it would be good if you're all up and running reliably for later this year.
Steve Carr - Only dead fish swim with the stream
My Websites

timo376
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by timo376 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:42 am

Hi Steve, basically up and running, just doing cosmetic jobs really, got new gauges to go in, some painting, re installing indicators
but she runs, drives (when I'm allowed out by the govt!) and stops :-)
TIM

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:29 pm

Let's hope we get to meet up at a show later in the year!
Steve Carr - Only dead fish swim with the stream
My Websites

timo376
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by timo376 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:19 am

starting to put dates into the diary :-)
looks like July onwards will be full of choices !

managed to have a few hours in the garage with Lizzie :-) got my brake lights working again. I thought the switch might have failed, but it was just a loose cable on the switch blades. problem was one of the wires was a tad short and whatever had held it on had come off. So had to fashion a short length then get it fitted. trying to access the brake switch isn't easy :-(
I couldn't get the heat shield below it off but after banging my head on the sump a few times I was able to reach my fingers in to slot the wires on and it worked!! feel really chuffed with only a mild concussion and oil up to my armpits :-)
also put in a new paper air filter to replace the oil bath filter and a new 6 block junction for the wires. :-)
TIM

Return to “M201, Hotchkiss, Quarter-ton jeep®”