Solex carb leaking fuel

1956-1966, Hotchkiss, Quarter-ton jeep® series, Wanted, For Sale, and Knowledge Base
Revorocks
G-Private
G-Private
Solex carb leaking fuel

Post by Revorocks » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:53 am

We have inherited a Hotchkiss M201 from my late father.
We tookn the vehicle out for a drive and noticed there was fluid dripping out the bottom by the front left wheel.

Upon opening the hood I can see fluid leaking from the union bolt. Tried tightening it a little but it appears the casing on the carb that it goes into is stripped.

Since reinstalling it the leak has gotten a lot worse since I’m guessing a lot of the material that sealed it in has fallen out after I removed it. Here’s a video to show what I mean. Excuse the camera work I was trying to be quick and capture it from all angles without making too much of a mess!

https://youtu.be/nvhTOBqgkNY

Not sure what to do here. There is not a lot of material to work with on the housing so re-tapping threads probably isn’t an option.
Spares seem quite difficult to find too.
I’ve tried a new Solex type carb off eBay to see if I can swap parts from it but it doesn’t fit unless I modify it.

Any ideas? Would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks
Mark

artificer
banned

Re: Solex carb leaking fuel

Post by artificer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:01 pm

There needs to be a correctly sized copper washer either side of that union.
It appears that is not the case.
The copper needs to be annealed i.e. soft.
That can be achieved by heating to red [not melted or deformed] & dropping in water.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

MANOUKA
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by MANOUKA » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:06 pm

Willys ITM
Moto Guzzi 600U
Peugeot SX8AR

Revorocks
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Revorocks » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:34 pm

artificer wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:01 pm
There needs to be a correctly sized copper washer either side of that union.
It appears that is not the case.
The copper needs to be annealed i.e. soft.
That can be achieved by heating to red [not melted or deformed] & dropping in water.

There is a washer there but it isn’t sealing as I can’t tighten it enough down due to the threads being stripped.
I tried annealing it too and tightening as much as I could before it slipped but fuel was still spraying out.

Revorocks
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Revorocks » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:41 pm

fixed! Bouught a Solex replica carb and took the top off. Had to bore out the holes slightly as they did not quite line up but got it fitted and now runs great and no leaks :D

Return to “M201, Hotchkiss, Quarter-ton jeep®”