Fitting indicators / Turn signals

1956-1966, Hotchkiss, Quarter-ton jeep® series, Wanted, For Sale, and Knowledge Base
cuffy
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Fitting indicators / Turn signals

Post by cuffy » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:09 am

Hello

I'm looking for suggestions regarding indicators / turn signals for an M201.

Looking at the front as I do not like the look of the existing front indicators I am thinking about either converting the black out lights or replacing them all together.

Looking at the rear, as the back panels being replaced (jeeps been rear ended at some point in its life) I've decided to replace late M201 rectangular light units with "old style" round ones, painting the lower lens orange so it can be used as an indicator.

For info, the M201 is used offroad, it definitely not show and shine, so I'm happy to take afew liberties with it.

Suggestions much appreciated.
Mike C

Hotchkiss M201
Modified Wrangler

Nick
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Nick » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:28 am

Mike,

On my Hotchkiss I have incorporated the rear indicators into the rear lights, where the BO / cats eye light was.
On the front I have mounted to indicators inboard, just under the the wings / fenders.
I don't know how to post photographs on here, so if you send me your e-mail address, I will send you some photos.

Nick

Horst
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Horst » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:49 am

Well, your rear lights being the official French Army conversion done late in the service, I would not change them at all...Not too many seen with those lights.

My Hotchkiss was never rebuild by the Army and as such still had the old style of rear lights. I increased the size of the lower (originally red) glas and replaced it with clear glass. A colored light bulb now is the turn signal. It would have been probably nicer to use a yellow glass, but I did not have one at that point.

My front ones are not necessarily nicer than yours. Actually when it came out of service it had the M151A1 turn signals on top of the fenders.

Horst
1962 M201 w/ trailer
1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS and M416
1966 Pontiac GTO

Benleroy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Benleroy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:24 pm

Nice looking jeep Horst!

cuffy
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by cuffy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:08 pm

Hello All,

Thanks to Nick for sending over photo's.

Hello Horst,

Looking at the images you've posted, in my view the later model lights fitted to my M201 simply look out of place when compared to the earlier round type. I am also loathed to cut into a new back panel to fit the later model rectangular lights. Like Benoit I think yours is a very nice looking M201.

Mike C
Hotchkiss M201
Modified Wrangler

Horst
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Horst » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks guys for the kind words. I got this M201 when I was a student, almost 20 years ago. It was driveable but pretty rusted at the typical spots. I restored it at a level which was financially doable at the time. I drove it for 15 years and put a lot of miles on it. Then 5 years ago some lady crashed her Fiat into it, fortunatly I was relatively slow. But it did bend the frame pretty heavily. As the 15 years had taken its toll on the sheet metal too, it was time to rebuild it completely. Everything had been done, but I have to admit that this time I have had the body done by a professional, it is not new, but very close to it.

However, as I needed something in the meantime, I decided to get a M151, something previously unthinkable. But since I own the MUTT, I practically don't drive the Jeep anymore, the 151 is so much better to drive. This year however, I have planned to use the M201 a little more, let's see...

Horst
1962 M201 w/ trailer
1966 Pontiac GTO

cj3bj4
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by cj3bj4 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:38 am

Hi all,

Horst,

could you please explain why the 151 is so much better to drive?

Does anyone know where to find the round tail lights at a reasonable price, even second hand?

Many thaks for the info.

Regards, will

Horst
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Horst » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:25 am

Will,

That's pretty straightforward to explain. It starts that you have significant more leg room available in the 151 compared to the MB/GPW/201. Then you have seats with springs. But most of all, you have front and rear independend suspension with coils springs instead of solid axles with leaf springs. And last, you have a slightly more powerful engine, which is nice to have both off and on-road.

But just try it and you will know what I am talking about. And forget the rumors about 151s rolling over, that is not true for the 151A2, they are as safe as any other Jeep of similar size and vintage. The 151 and 151A1 however are a different story...
Horst
1962 M201 w/ trailer
1966 Pontiac GTO

Return to “M201, Hotchkiss, Quarter-ton jeep®”