Greek jeep question

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
maeserik
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by maeserik » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:51 am

My M38 is also ex Greek army, the original USA hoodnumber was sandblasted away during the first resto when the jeeps were given to the Greek army in the past.

Erik
1942 GPW 71336 - 1951 M38 MC11891

Corne Lauwerijssen
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Corne Lauwerijssen » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:03 pm

In the 80ties lots of Greek Jeeps were sold to Sarafan from an armydump
here in the Netherlands. This Armydump no longer exist.
The jeeps where staked into 40 feet containers on top
of each other and went to the US.

Corné
1944 GMC cckw353 Cargo
1945 1-tons trailer (Ben Hur type)
194x 1-tons trailer (Ben Hur type) sold
1944 Willys MB
1945 Willys MB
194x 1/4-tons MBT
194x 1/4-tons MBT
1943 PE-95G Willys Generatorset
1944 PE-95G Willys Generatorset sold

Jenkinov
G-Civilian

Re: Greek jeep question

Post by Jenkinov » Sat May 08, 2021 7:22 am

Hi This is an old thread but I have additional info so thought It worth updating
I have a Greek jeep that I purchased 20 years ago from a friend . Whilst I was jeep hunting I was warned away from Greek jeeps as they had had a hard life and many were used for recoilless guns .
But despite the warnings it’s what I bought .
I soon discovered a rebuild plate for the US army ordnance corp dated 1953 and stamped Tokyo . Research identified that the US army refurbished large stocks of ww2 vehicles for use in Korea

My jeep has quite a number of bullet holes .. most intentionally put in by GIs to facilitate drainage . There are bullet holes in in the drivers and passenger floors . Plus a 45 has been used to shoot holes in the storage bin floors

The benefit of all these holes is that the jeep had not retained water and has not suffered corrosion to badly

There is a further bullet hole in the wing and if you put a dowel rod through it it goes through the head of the engine .. probably explaining why the jeep was fitted with a new engine during its refit .

I think it was unlikely the jeep reached Korea during the war but it and many others were sent to The Greek army .

So I have a jeep used in the Pacific theatre

Regards
Jenkinov

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”