AERVOE-Military Paint... Rattle in Peace

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

AERVOE-Military Paint... Rattle in Peace

Post by AZ Jeff » Mon May 23, 2022 4:26 pm

A friend who orders direct from AERVOE Industries was told that they have discontinued their military paint line.

While they may be remembered more for having paint that STAYS in the can (thanks to nozzles that are notoriously faulty)... or having a product that dries before it touches the surface to be painted... It DID have it's place in restorations. I had grown particularly fond of the 987-B shade Olive Drab (a decent match, now and then, to 33070). When it worked...it worked well and FAST. When it didn't, it worked VERY poorly... and FAST. Nothing like getting an unexpected, bone dry textured finish on a prized restoration project.

I suppose it will be up to Rustoleum to continue the tradition of faulty nozzles and unusable paint (with an extra 25% in the bonus volume cans. Yeah!)?

Jeff Q.
AZ

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: AERVOE-Military Paint... Rattle in Peace

Post by dpcd67 » Mon May 23, 2022 5:35 pm

I use only Gillespie. Never knew that Averoe was in the mil spec business so I won't miss it.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

TonyStandefer
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by TonyStandefer » Mon May 23, 2022 5:50 pm

The paint industry has struggled with chemical,and component shortages, have you looked at the spray paint section at your local box store? We purchase from aerovoe and rust oleum at my work, rustoleum has been a disaster since COVID. Aervoe has been able to ship product but is focusing on producing A category items, the mil paint may just be put on hold until shortages ease up.
Willys MB 340931. DOD 6-9-1944
Mvpa 1996 convention 1st place motorpool class
Dodge wc-12, July, 1941

dinof
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by dinof » Tue May 24, 2022 5:35 am

TonyStandefer wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:50 pm
The paint industry has struggled with chemical,and component shortages, have you looked at the spray paint section at your local box store? We purchase from aerovoe and rust oleum at my work, rustoleum has been a disaster since COVID. Aervoe has been able to ship product but is focusing on producing A category items, the mil paint may just be put on hold until shortages ease up.
Yes, Rust Oleum fell apart during covid, mainly their newer line called "2X spray enamels". Their older stuff, not so bad. Our
paint rack did look like hell for a long time. About 2 months ago, we started getting stock back in and it's almost back to
normal.
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Tudor
1968 Taco Minibike

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”