Engine/Body Install

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Wooly15
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Engine/Body Install

Post by Wooly15 » Fri May 13, 2022 4:08 am

I'm at a point with my restoration where everything but the engine work is complete. I'd like to go ahead and get the tub installed, but wanted to know if there was any benefit to waiting for the engine to be set in place before doing so. I didn't want to get to the engine install then realize it would have been alot easier without the tub in the way. Thought/Advice?

P.S. There's no rush, I'm just looking for something to work on until my engine is done.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: Engine/Body Install

Post by dpcd67 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:21 am

Do NOT install the body first!!! You will regret it and curse the day you did that. Installed many engines and bodies; ALWAYS do the power pack first. Meaning, put the engine, transmission, and transfer case together on the ground, and set the pack on the frame. Once your body is on, that task is complicated 1000 times.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Wooly15
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Wooly15 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:29 am

dpcd67 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:21 am
Do NOT install the body first!!! You will regret it and curse the day you did that. Installed many engines and bodies; ALWAYS do the power pack first. Meaning, put the engine, transmission, and transfer case together on the ground, and set the pack on the frame. Once your body is on, that task is complicated 1000 times.
Thanks! This is the type of feedback I was hoping to get. The "been there a million times" type...I should have mentioned that I already have my T/C, Trans, and bellhousing installed, so not sure if that makes a difference.

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Fri May 13, 2022 7:42 am

Do everything possible before putting body on, unless u want to do all plus some this laying on the ground. exhaust, clutch, brake lines, drive shafts, steering, ground straps, some wiring, gotta be dozens of things to do first, got a pic of your jeep?

Adam
Attachments
Img04_111.jpg

Scrumps
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Scrumps » Fri May 13, 2022 8:16 am

Hi,

As previous posters have said, it is possible to install the engine after fitting the tub, but it’s not the best option.

I also hold off from fitting the steering column and also remove the gearstick when mounting the tub. All you have to do then it fit the transfer levers through the appropriate opening and remember to nudge the tub forward at the last minute so the riser drops forward over the M/G mount.

Scrumps
Dec '42 Willys MB
Aug ‘44 Willys MB
2021 New Defender 90 D250 HSE
2005 Landrover 90 CSW
2024 Range Rover Sport
1967 MGB
Royal Navy Weapons Engineer 1979-2007.

Wooly15
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Wooly15 » Fri May 13, 2022 8:29 am

This is a few weeks old, but this is pretty much where I am now. The steering wheel and pedals are installed just for fitment and ease of rolling it around.

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Fri May 13, 2022 9:38 am

If that hoist will lift they tub high enough, you can leave all that stuff on it, steer wheel will have to come off, steer box can leave the bolts loose, and balls off shifters. If you are lifting it by hand, well a different story, You can fit the exhaust, speedo cable, brake cable, any ground straps out back there, with the engine in you will be able to adjust the clutch. the brake pedals will need to come off and get tied down, you can wire up the tub dash, install temp and oil pressure guage,while tub is on the stand or on its side. test fit the rest, if jeep has not had a front end alignment you can do that now with a wooden rule. Is grill and headlights assembled? welting put on, you may have to borrow the tool for that, is rad ready, do you have all the hoses and oil line stuff? batt cables and foot switch can be test fit, air cleaner parts all ready to go? oil filter parts and pieces, starter, generator? and the list goes on, its your jeep, do it as you would like to.Berrer hurry, some jeep dealer has a boat payment coming up. It is easier to put the engine in as it is now, and get it bolted together without having to deal with a tub in the way. You have the flywheel and clutch parts ready, the fork can go in, with its spring and bearings, the stay cable can be set up for easy install. will the muffler fit in there with those two PO added studs sticking out. that will keep ua bisy for a night or 2. Have fun with it

Adam

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”