Dynamo/generator not charging??

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Elmhousewillys
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Dynamo/generator not charging??

Post by Elmhousewillys » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:19 am

Hi all and a merry Christmas, hope all who read this had a great time!! And your knowledge/help will be appreciated.

Ok, I have a 45 Willy's running on 6 volt. I,m suspecting the dynamo not charging, engine dies when disconnect battery earth lead, also when I measure battery voltage with engine running at fast tickover I still only get a reading of between 6.1 and 6.2 volts. With the wires disconnected from dynamo and engine running I don't get a reading - yes fan belt is within tolerance and not slipping!!
Again with engine running, I turn on lights the ammeter registers to a positive reading, and lights do not brighten on revving engine.
I have also cleaned contacts in regulator and I,m assuming my earth connections are ok, though I will go check them again.
Starting the ol' gal is always abit slow, typical 6 volt as I read, would love to get this issue sorted. Your thoughts and help as I say much appreciated....

Regards martin

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Dynamo/generator not charging??

Post by Adam » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:50 pm

There are quite a few posts, just recent about checking all this stuff.
The amp gage sounds like it is wired backwords, or the genny really is charging.
what v do you get at idle with meter on battery, as compared to high idle.
What type of volt meter are you useing?

has this system ever worked before? has anything been done to the system before cleaning contacts?

Aside from all the grounds between the units body and frame, first thing i do is to look at the armature and brushes on the genny under the band. If that and wiring looks good then flash the unit and c what happens.

Adam

Elmhousewillys
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Elmhousewillys » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:28 am

Hi Adam

Thanks for your reply. Will give your suggestions a look at other coming days. Also found some previous threads from similar posts on here.....glad not only one with probs😁😁
Happy jeeping(soon)
Martin

Elmhousewillys
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Elmhousewillys » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:34 am

Hi everyone
Further to my issue regards dynamo/regular not charging, I've since discovered that the dynamo is charging, that's great, however it's when I have the cover of the regulator off!!
When I replace the regulator cover I,m only getting 6.2 volts at battery!! The worrying thing I've discovered is that I get intermittent sparks around the 2 nuts that hold the cover on. If I loosen them and wiggle the cover to a certain position I then get a voltage reading of 7.4/5 volts, great!!
BUT what is causing the sparking?? Should there be some rubber insulators on the inside of regulator cover where the 2 posts that locate for the nuts??
Any ideas greatly appreciated
Regards martin

jeepfinger
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by jeepfinger » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:03 am

Hi Martin,
Elmhousewillys wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:34 am
Should there be some rubber insulators on the inside of regulator cover where the 2 posts that locate for the nuts??
Yes as far as I know there are 2 rubber washers, if you look inside the lid, you can see the recess were they fit. Have been looking at a diagrame of the VR, and I think that there could be another washer, maybe steel. Parts numbers, but I don't think that they will be of much use. Also Willys numbers, why when they were made by Autolite!! WOA9043 Washer, which I think is rubber and WOA1616 Washer, which I think is steel. But it could be the other way round, as the diagram is not that great.

Dave
Dave Boocock
GPW 41158 June 19 1942
Bantam T3 9555 1/11/1943 USA 0258448
BSA WDM20 Sept 1940 C4343114

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:30 am

I dont think the rubber washerrs are for electrical insulation, there is nothing to insulate the posts from the small holes in the top, and the flat washers on the top are steel and go right on the steel cover, will verify

Adam

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:51 am

No doubt something is shorting when the cover is in place.
The system works with the cover off.
Maybe the cover coming into contact with one of the electrical terminals at the base ??
You have the correct gasket under the cover base ??
A wire sticking out too far inside ??
Something like that. Just have to find the problem.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Elmhousewillys
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Elmhousewillys » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:01 am

Just an update on my regulator issue. Couldn't find any loose wires touching the posts. I have replaced rubber gasket between base and lid and put rubber washers inside recess of cover and given a good clean up around terminals. All now seems to be working and charging great!!
Thanks to all who replied with advice😄👍

Await the next issue.... happy jeeping.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”