ring gear markings

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Bonnie
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

ring gear markings

Post by Bonnie » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:07 pm

Found some of that AC Delco gear marking compound. Is it acceptable to have 1/2 of the ring gear teeth meshing nicely in the center and then the other half meshing not so nicely off center a bit? At least it looks that way to me (1st time doing this). I swapped the pinion and carrier shims about 6 times already. I don't mind doing some more since this is an important step to get right. I also have a set of setup carrier cone bearings and inner pinion race which have been filed down so they can be installed/removed easier). I'm also not planning on driving this off road or give it any real heavy use. Just parades, and light use around town.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: ring gear markings

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:46 pm

for your intended use, it won't matter. Why did you take it apart in the first place? Was it making noise? Most jeeps run lifetimes with no thought to the gear mesh at all.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Bonnie
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Bonnie » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:08 pm

The original ring and pinion had broken teeth and were chewed up from the broken pieces.

Raflad
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Raflad » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:31 pm

Make a set-up outer bearing as well, I didn't at first but when I did it made it so much easier to set rotational torque.
Adam Smith
GPW 80535, 11-19-42
MBT 2470, 8-42, USA #0160905

savmag

Post by savmag » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:35 am

Hi Bonnie,

It is entirely possible that NOS gears cut with an old face-milling machine to have imperfections and therefore the pattern to be off in some parts of the gear. In these cases, you should achieve a compromise and be as close as possible to the indented pattern and measure the backlash properly.

Jeeps do not achieve very high speeds and as such an exaggerated precision pattern matching is not usually necessary.

I would advise you to start using the original pinion shim pack and add/subtract shims according to the indication of the pinion gear marking. Since the carrier as far as I understand is not being changed, the carrier shims shall remain the same.

Good luck.

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:47 am

I agree. Machining equipment and the end results have improved considerably over the years.
Method I use to set up ring gear backlash, once I determine the ring & pinion are serviceable, is rotate the installed ring gear to find the spot the backlash is the tightest and then set the backlash at that spot. Logic applied here. Only result in tight spots otherwise.
Of course you have to set the pinion depth first.
Starting with the original shims in the same place is a great plan, if you can.
Pattern. Used to check the fore & aft position of the tooth contact of the ring gear teeth on the pinion gear teeth. Not necessarily going to get the perfect pattern on every tooth all the way around. You are dealing with used gears and wear.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

JIMN
G-Major
G-Major

Post by JIMN » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:35 pm

Make sure you have load on the gears when you run it through the marking compound… if not you get all kinds of weird readings.
Also, on used gears it often helps to pay more attention to the back side of the gears if the drive side is worn.
….my experience anyway.
1941 Ford GP, 1944 Willys MB, 1943 Bantam T3

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”