Horn Wiring

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
garandshooter
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Horn Wiring

Post by garandshooter » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:19 pm

Good evening Gents,

I picked up a ‘42 GPW a few months back in great condition, but it’s missing a horn. The jeep is converted to 12V. I picked up a 12V horn and mount and confirmed with the owner that the wiring in the steering shaft from horn button to ground tab is in fact installed.

However, I didn’t get a chance to ask about the rest of the wiring, and I don’t seem to see any. From my understanding from the following wiring diagram, there’s a wire that goes from:

1. ground tab on column ——-> junction post
2. Junction post——-> horn
3. Ampmeter——> horn

I can’t seem to find these wires anywhere.

So question is,

1. Is there a source for these?

2. How hard are these to install post restoration (aka without having to take a bunch of stuff off)?

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Horn Wiring

Post by Adam » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:42 pm

This has been a while for wiring, What do you want to source? correct colored and gauge wire pieces?

i did not climb under jeep to see if the wire is in a bigger harness,, but steer column brush to the terminal block is only a foot away,, get a piece of auto rated wire,, cover it with black cloth tape and install it. same with horn to junction block. maybe use an ohm meter to check the steer column circuit before you get too far into it.

wire from to horn to ammeter goes to a fuse first, check the fuses under the dash.

had to go out to the jeep and look, horn wire to ammeter or fuse, horn end wire breaks out of the harness right after the harness comes out of the firewall,, look close, maybe it is hidden inside or taped to the harness.

Adam

garandshooter
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by garandshooter » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:37 am

Adam wrote:This has been a while for wiring, What do you want to source? correct colored and gauge wire pieces?

i did not climb under jeep to see if the wire is in a bigger harness,, but steer column brush to the terminal block is only a foot away,, get a piece of auto rated wire,, cover it with black cloth tape and install it. same with horn to junction block. maybe use an ohm meter to check the steer column circuit before you get too far into it.

wire from to horn to ammeter goes to a fuse first, check the fuses under the dash.

had to go out to the jeep and look, horn wire to ammeter or fuse, horn end wire breaks out of the harness right after the harness comes out of the firewall,, look close, maybe it is hidden inside or taped to the harness.

Adam
More so was curious to see if anyone manufactured the cables before I went about making up my own.

Out of curiosity, any idea what gauge the wire is?

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:44 pm

Of course; Vintage Wiring.com, makes wiring for many MVs. Call them and get the correct color and size wiring.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:15 am

garandshooter wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:37 am
Adam wrote:This has been a while for wiring, What do you want to source? correct colored and gauge wire pieces?

Adam
More so was curious to see if anyone manufactured the cables before I went about making up my own.

Out of curiosity, any idea what gauge the wire is?
On the schematic; and the supplier I use, the two tracers mean it's 14 gauge and three mean 12 gauge. I use http://www.riwire.com/ for safe and period correct appearing wires and related terminals, etc. Click on "supplies" on the lower left.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Boraxo
banned

Post by Boraxo » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:01 am

It's your jeep . . . just an observation that I am always amused about jeep owners that want the factory correct parts to be 100 percent factory class accurate on a jeep that has been converted to 12 volts. Which way is it? Ron had the 12v horns on special last month for $65, I hope that's where you got yours.
And, remember that the horn button is just completing the ground circuit. The hot wire from the amp gauge to the horn is always hot and pushing the horn bbutton completes the ground circuit, so make sure those connections are good and clean.

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:18 am

Have you looked close to see if any of the wires are hidden, on the other hand, is it a ractory repo wiring harness or a home made one, cant see a repo assembly leaving out the horn wire. For sure on a 25 yo harness you cant really see the colors. this was a vintage wiring of maine reop. from the late 1990's

Adam
Attachments
20210925_191403.jpg

Boraxo
banned

Post by Boraxo » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:52 am

I have read that, sometimes, on 12v conversions, a reproduction wiring harness may be from another vehicle that is more correct for the 12v starter and possible alternator, such as a CJ 2 or 3 harness. If that is the case, the horn wiring may be different on the harness as the horn or horn button maybe a different location set up.
There is a seller on eBay, I think Tons Performance, or something like that that sells the vintage wiring in various colors and tracer threads that you can get in 10ft lengths and be a correct WWII wire on your 12 volt jeep.

Bruce W
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Bruce W » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:55 pm

CJ2’s, CJ2-A’s, CJ3A’s and early CJ3B’s are (or were) all six volt. CJ2’s and early CJ2-A’s used exactly the same horn setup as the MB/GPW’s. There is no reason for a twelve volt system to have any different wiring routing than a six volt system.
BW
G Trp 2nd Sqdrn 3d Armored Cavalry Ft. Lewis 1970-71. 43GPW(Sarge?) 47CJ2A(Teddy) 47CJ2A(Rusty) 47CJ2A(Zak) 48CJ2A(Lefty) 48CJ2A(Uncle Linden) 53CJ3B(Bulldog) 88XJ(Pluto) NE CO

Boraxo
banned

Post by Boraxo » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:06 pm

Sorry, what I thought I had read was that the wiring harnesses from another model of vehicle might have the horn set up differently. It was not the voltage that made the difference, but the horn button and horn location. A friend of mine converted his M38A1 from 24v to 12v and the wiring harness recommended was from a CJ3B. The horn wiring was different.

garandshooter
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by garandshooter » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:55 pm

Adam wrote:Have you looked close to see if any of the wires are hidden, on the other hand, is it a ractory repo wiring harness or a home made one, cant see a repo assembly leaving out the horn wire. For sure on a 25 yo harness you cant really see the colors. this was a vintage wiring of maine reop. from the late 1990's

Adam
I looked and didn’t see any but will take a second look next time I’m around the jeep.

Would you happen to have a photo of the wire/circuit breaker that goes from the horn to the ampmeter?

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:20 pm

viewtopic.php?t=226149

Scroll down a bit
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”