Ford GPW Engine will not fully rotate

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Ford GPW Engine will not fully rotate

Post by 17thAirborne » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:36 am

I know in the aviation world we called this sudden stoppage. It was a serious thing. The immediate stoppage of a metal part that is rotating in this case perhaps 1500 times per minute will send a chain of stress shudders through the components that are meshed and connected together putting their integrity into question.

Is it possible you have a bent rod or two, damage to timing gears etc. Although time consuming, I'm of the opinion to pull, take everything apart and mike it all. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, get help. Disassembly is easy, assembly has a few challenges, but if you can read you can do it. Machine work should be sent out When you are done, you will have a fresh engine. I know it can be costly, but then you are done with it for the rest of it's life.
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:20 am

You took just about everything off this engine before you removed the head.
I believe that included the oil pan, so you can get underneath and look up into the block and see the cam & lifters. Look both over really well. Something got between the valve head and cyl. head & spark plug. The spark plug that had the electrode beat closed.
The valve seat. This is the #2 cyl. exhaust valve. Valve seats are not an OEM part. The engine originally did not have seats. The machine shop that installed the seats bought them from someplace and you won't be able to just call a supplier and say " send me an exhaust seat for an L-134". The seat face radius will have to match the valve face and Outside diameter of the seat will have to fit the hole in the block. Which as was said earlier, may be damaged. More machine work necessary. The seat bore has to be true and square.
And as said, valve seats are extremely hard and brittle. The seats are driven in with a special driver. Not just hammered in in with a ball peen, and is a very tight interference fit in the block. If something is not right or the seat was damaged on installation, they break.
The other issue. being this is an exhaust seat, is operating temperature range. The exhaust gas going through an exhaust seat can reach over 1000' F under a load. This shortly after the seat was at outside air temperature before the engine was started. That is pretty brutal. Seat has to be right or your video tells the rest of this tale.
I agree with the others. Unless you or your help is comfortable with what you are doing, I would pull the engine and take it to a machine shop.
And look everything else in the engine over really well. This started while you were driving down the highway, up to speed.
As Oz said, a tear down inspection fits this situation.
Unless you feel lucky ??
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:57 am

Let me summarize, BLUF: You need an engine rebuild.
Facts and Assumptions; Your engine is now beyond an amateur fix. You can't just drop in a valve seat, and all the others ones need grinding too. (Assumption, based on seeing a lot of engines)
It needs to go to a machine shop for a complete inspection and rebuild.
You can (assumption) do the assembly after they do all the machine work and they will tell you what parts to get.
(Bearing, piston sizes, etc).
Or have them do the whole job.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Bruce W
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Bruce W » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:23 am

W. Winget wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:12 am
Bruce:
Small ring shape is the cover snap on the radio canvas.
V/R W Winget
I thought it might be a button or a snap. Looking at it with my phone. Not the best.

Dpcd summed it up pretty well. You can’t fix this. It needs to go to someone with the necessary tools and skills.
BW
G Trp 2nd Sqdrn 3d Armored Cavalry Ft. Lewis 1970-71. 43GPW(Sarge?) 47CJ2A(Teddy) 47CJ2A(Rusty) 47CJ2A(Zak) 48CJ2A(Lefty) 48CJ2A(Uncle Linden) 53CJ3B(Bulldog) 88XJ(Pluto) NE CO

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:55 pm

Take a straight edge and lay it across the cylinders. Then place a feeler gauge under it atop each piston in turn when it is at TDC. If there were damage to the rod or piston it would be indicated by a larger gap as the piston would not reach as high as the others.
Your choice on what you can do, don't let any of this scare you off, it never was built like the Space Shuttle.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Colgrounds1944
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Colgrounds1944 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:59 am

Does anyone know where I can get a valve spring tool that works best for the L134 Valves?

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:59 am

Useally every tool fleamarket has them, snap on used to sell then under the blue point name, like this or similiar.

Adam

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224578758861?h ... Swi8lhHrqs

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:23 am

Thirty of them on eBay. Search for flathead valve spring compressor.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Colgrounds1944
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Colgrounds1944 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:38 pm

My father in law and I are working on the valves and valve seats. We have both intake and exhaust seats just in case any others need to be replaced. What I am facing now is I have the correct valve seat but it is just a little too small for the valve hole. I mean just barely moves but moves none the less. Watching others install and per instructions posted on this forum I should have to freeze and tap into place.

What am I missing or what are my options?

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:25 pm

Recut the block to the dimensions of a new seat. Are you just doing 1 in the back yard? Suggest taking it to a shop and get them all done, along with first checking the
wear on the guides, then installing the seats, decking the head and doing a 2 or 3 angle valve job

Adam

Bruce W
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Bruce W » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:32 pm

The “hole” as you call it has been worn oversized by the old seat rattling around in it. It’s probably not even round any more. It needs to be machined anew and an oversized seat installed.
Your best option, your only option as I see it, is to do as you were told before and take this engine to someone who has the tools, equipment, parts, and knowledge to do this right. This is not a shade-tree fix.
BW
G Trp 2nd Sqdrn 3d Armored Cavalry Ft. Lewis 1970-71. 43GPW(Sarge?) 47CJ2A(Teddy) 47CJ2A(Rusty) 47CJ2A(Zak) 48CJ2A(Lefty) 48CJ2A(Uncle Linden) 53CJ3B(Bulldog) 88XJ(Pluto) NE CO

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:24 pm

Right; you are making a big mistake; you can't possibly replace a valve seat at home. Unless you have a complete automotive machine shop. I do have a machine shop and I can't install a valve seat.
Your engine needs to go to a real automotive machine shop; otherwise you will be sorry.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”