Advise on California Vehicle Registration

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
An Old BC
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Advise on California Vehicle Registration

Post by An Old BC » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:39 pm

Good Day 503 Owners:

I'm looking for some advise concerning registering an GPW that I have recently finished restoring. The '42 GPW has been sitting in pieces for over 20 years with no registration (Last time was prior to 1999). Now it's back together and I need to make it road legal. The California 'pink slip' (ownership papers) show it as a "1946 MB" They used the block serial number to register it. During the rebuild I discovered a GPW Frame Number on its Willy's frame making it a March 1942 VEP Ford. It had been rebuilt by Allison in 1945 and parts were mixed up a little. It does have a Ford body, fenders, hood and grill.
My problem (besides being terribly out of date) is that I want to register it as a Ford using the GPW Frame Number. Not having been registered (or Non-Op) in over 20 years I'm not sure it is even in the California DMV system any more. What are my options here in the smoky, dry, golden state?

An Old BC in Northern CA

dcrawford
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Advise on California Vehicle Registration

Post by dcrawford » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:52 pm

One option would be to have the DMV Reg 31 form (Verification of Vehicle) completed by local law enforcement. A lot of folks use the CHP, but I've had good luck with my local, small town police force. They have one officer who is trained on how to do this verification. Schedule an appointment, they drop by, and verify the serial number stamped on the frame. To verify the year I show them documentation linking serial numbers to dates of delivery. Something like AAW, cross referenced to the serial number pages here on the G. I also show them photos of the restoration. I've done this a couple of times and it's been easy and relaxed. Most of the time they like to learn about the jeeps and I always offer them a ride.
Hoping this helps
Dave
GPW 270351 6/1/45 Dallas USA 20735727 Restoration https://fordgpw.wordpress.com/
GPW 107810 4/12/43 Louisville USA 20370495
MBT 39950 9/43 USA 0240139

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:11 pm

I always restore my WWII vehicles first and then take them to the local DMV...have to take them off the trailer now...for verification by DMV employee.

I take all my WWII books with the serial numbers, etc..., to convince them what the vehicle is. I have tried local LE to verify vehicles before, but the DMV always kicks them back for whatever they can find, so that's useless to me.

Whatever you do, do not call it a truck! It's an SUV with seats in the back. Try to not show anything with "truck" on it.

I've done three that way. Jeeps and Dodge WC's.

Good luck with the registration process!

Ah, I just realized it is you Tim.

Red Bluff DMV is pretty good. like I mention. You have to pull the jeep off the trailer for the VIN verification. They were training a new guy as the other guy was retiring. He seemed pretty good. Take your copy of All American Wonder that has the serial number list. That will really help identify what you are registering with the verification person.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:17 pm

In addition, AAA used to do VIN verification. Something else, not all LEOs will do them. Some departments have policies that won't allow it. When I worked for Kern County Sheriff's Office we could do them out in the sub-stations but not metro. CHP will do them but they might only let their commercial cops do them.

Check with your local department first. If they won't ask who can.
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

dinof
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by dinof » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:21 pm

Bill H. wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:17 pm
In addition, AAA used to do VIN verification. Something else, not all LEOs will do them. Some departments have policies that won't allow it. When I worked for Kern County Sheriff's Office we could do them out in the sub-stations but not metro. CHP will do them but they might only let their commercial cops do them.

Hey Bill,
Just got back from Kern County. What part of Kern County did you work at?
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Tudor
1968 Taco Minibike

junking
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by junking » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:26 pm

If you have original dmv paperwork, no need for vin verification. I would register per the paperwork you have now and do corrections once it's all in your name and current.

ViN verification is a crap shoot depending on who you get and what place you use.

If you dont get the answer you want from one person at the dmv, get back in line and get another. If still not what you want, go to another dmv that is out in the sticks. They usually work with you better. If it's not going how you want, dont be afraid to ask for your paperwork and leave. They cant stop you. I did this when they were trying to require a VIN verification with orignal title and weight certificate which was not required for historical plates.

If you do go the VIN verification route, bringing books and reference is a great idea. I have done so and it helped greatly

Agree about SUV route, but if ask for historical plates (most dont understand how to do so ask for a supervisor), it doesnt matter what you call it. Historical plates dont classify vehicals as trucks per sey.

My MB is registered as a 41 and it is a 43. I'm not going to sweat it.

They use to register with motor number back in the day. Have changed several over to frame number. That most likely will require a VIN verification.

Dmv usually requires a VIN in two places and have an issue with the few number digits of a frame number. It will help having your data plate match the frame number giving two locations.

Being 20 years not registered, and not on non-op, it is no longer in their system. That's where an original pink slip is golden.

Hope it goes well.
Military:41 WC-1, 41 WC-3, 43 MB, 43 WC-62, 52 M37
Civilian:31 Model A, 41 Pontiac, 56 Chev, 66 Mustang

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:41 pm

dinof wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:21 pm
Bill H. wrote:

Hey Bill,
Hey Dino! I was first in Lamont, then Tehachapi and then Lake Isabella/Walker Basin sub-stations. I did work some in McFarland and very little in Metro (Bakersfield proper).
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:45 pm

I see SUV being mentioned. I went the Utility route. My Mite was registered in California as "Utility".
Bill H.

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:37 am

Bill H. wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:45 pm
I see SUV being mentioned. I went the Utility route. My Mite was registered in California as "Utility".
Yes, that saves the weight fees and about $200 to $300 a year in fees. They tried to register my WC52 as a truck and wanted $360 a year! Finally convinced them that it was an SUV. $101 a year! Make sure the seats are in back.

I've converted all my trucks to the 1941 vintage plates. That really bends the employees minds there. I have written down the procedure and codes the best I could which helps them get it done. Usually takes two or three employees plus a supervisor to get it done. They really tilted when I registered the 1943. 1941 plate, yellow 1942 strip, and 1943 "V" for victory tag. They looked at me like I grew a third eye.... :shock: Got 'er done.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

An Old BC
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by An Old BC » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:28 pm

Thanks for the responses guys:

Zeph, does Red Bluff count as "out in the sticks"? Now Fall River Mills really is, but that's 80 miles! I'll call you tonight.
Both sound like good procedures. I'm a little worried about the registration being not renewed in over 20 years. I wonder if CA DMV is going to be upset because I didn't register it 'Non Op' back in 1999. I'll call the local county sheriff's office and see if I have to trailer it into their main office or if the local deputy will stop by. (Yes, I am in a rural area)

If I don't use the old 'pick slip', will I have to produce a 'bill of sale' to prove I didn't steal it?

Nice GPW jeep.
Just no license plate :cry:

Donovan
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Donovan » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:41 pm

You don’t have to worry about non-op. You just fill out paper work that it was not operated on the streets/highways of California and sign. My vehicle was acquired in 2003 and not licensed for at least a decade. Just have to submit the proper signed form and all is good!
Good luck,
Donovan
GPA 11374

Old Pal
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Pal » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:19 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:11 pm
I have tried local LE to verify vehicles before, but the DMV always kicks them back for whatever they can find, so that's useless to me.
It’s great if your DMV is a one-stop-shop, but most don’t do VIN inspections. If a VIN inspection is required, make an appointment with your local CHP VIN officer. Technically, any peace officer can do it. The form is not difficult to complete but it’s easy to screw up if the officer isn’t familiar with it (which creates more visits to the DMV).

dinof
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by dinof » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:56 pm

Bill H. wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:41 pm
dinof wrote:
Bill H. wrote:

Hey Bill,
Hey Dino! I was first in Lamont, then Tehachapi and then Lake Isabella/Walker Basin sub-stations. I did work some in McFarland and very little in Metro (Bakersfield proper).
Bill-I thought maybe you would of been around the Ridgecrest sheriffs sub station. That sub station covers a huge area like Isabella, Randsburg. Johannesburg, Inyokern and a few more I can't recall.
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Tudor
1968 Taco Minibike

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:34 pm

dinof wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:56 pm
Bill H. wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:41 pm
dinof wrote:

Hey Bill,
Bill-I thought maybe you would of been around the Ridgecrest sheriffs sub station. That sub station covers a huge area like Isabella, Randsburg. Johannesburg, Inyokern and a few more I can't recall.
I worked out there on special duty a few times. Warrant sweeps, public intoxication sweeps but nothing other than that.
Bill H.

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:58 am

Out here in the land of fruits and nuts, not enough water or power, I have developed a great working relationship with an independent registration service. Yes there is a fee associated with using them, but the trade off of not having to deal with the DMV makes it a super value.

In the last year or so, I registered my Command car, with nothing but a hand written bill of sale. It had never been registered. The Scout Car came from out of state and was easily registered, despite the 5 digit serial number. No DMV or CHP

Both are registered as utility, so no weight fees.

I suggest checking out independent registration services.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”