Spring Support Bracket Wear

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
sprprops
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Spring Support Bracket Wear

Post by sprprops » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:43 pm

Is this even worth worrying about? The holes are still round. Was thinking of cutting the welds and rivets and installing new ones.

Mike Kelly
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Spring Support Bracket Wear

Post by Mike Kelly » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:38 am

I've seen those spring mounts with horribly worn holes . I think that the original design of the spring mounts was a weakness on the G503 chassis .

That one looks like it might be ok . You could run a weld over the worn area and grind it flat again. Try a new bolt in the holes to check for a loose fit . The correct hole size is 9/16" . Just be aware that some of the repro bolts are smaller in diameter than they should be, I have some that are 5.550" these are a loose fit .

Mike Kelly

Post by Mike Kelly » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:07 am

Some more information. If you do decide to remove the originals from the chassis and buy new repro mounts , I have found that the repro spring mounts (MDJ) are approx. .100" wider than the original specification. That discrepancy might create a problem in the long term .

Ian Fawbert
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Ian Fawbert » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:21 pm

Another option is to cut out the worn area- drill a hole about 3/4” hole or similar.

Make up a new ‘coin’ with the correct sized hole in it for the spring bolt and weld it back in.

That way you don’t need to worry about the welds and rivets and loosing the original look too.

Hope that makes sense.
Australian Jeep Investigator
MB: 131175
GPW: 11730.
GPW: 225290.
Aust trailer: GMH 3- #211
http://www.vintageengines.net

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”