Unusual place for a script F on ACM II body

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
JAB
G-General
G-General

Unusual place for a script F on ACM II body

Post by JAB » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:56 pm

I have an October '44 GPW that is pretty original. The ACM type II body tub is different from my Sept. '44 MB in that it is the ACM type II version that doesn't have the suppression ground stud for the choke and throttle cables or for the top bolt on the transfer case. Also, it's not late enough to have the hole for the wiper hose in the cowl bracket and it still uses the firewall mounted fuel pump. What's really odd though, IMO, is that the passenger seat mounting nut plate, which is spot-welded to the top of the hat channel, which in turn is spot-welded to the underside of the body, sandwiching this plate between the body and hat channel, is "F" scripted. I didn't expect to find a script F on an integral part of an ACM II body tub.

-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

JAB
G-General
G-General

Re: Unusual place for a script F on ACM II body

Post by JAB » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:48 am

FWIW, the MB toe board gusset number is 121371 and the GPW is 137515, a difference of 16,144.
Is it possible or likely that Ford was supplying body parts (hat channel) to ACM in the fall of '44?
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Thu May 11, 2023 2:53 pm

Ford gave/sold/supplied certain tooling dies to ACM for the composite bodies. We've seen evidence of that in the (obscured by the waffle stamp) F-stamped CJ2A hood hinges , the seat bracket above, and other features that were carried over from Ford into the production of the ACM type II composite body. Here's another F-scripted seat bracket, but this one is from a May '42 scripted GPW and not from inside the hat channel. Obviously the production of that little bracket spanned most of the jeep production run through two manufacturers. It's the same bracket as what I found inside the hat channel, but this one is the one welded directly to the floor for the drivers seat legs (as seen in the background). And again, the F is hidden by being sandwiched against the underside of the floor. After welding a new cage and installing a new nut I welded it back on to the body, and hid the F, as original.
IMG_1227.jpg
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

conrod6
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by conrod6 » Thu May 11, 2023 10:28 pm

I think all ACM2 hoods had the same 'F' stamped Ford hinge and rear edge reinforcing whether used on an MB or GPW -

Barrie
GPW 101005 DOD 3-2-43 20207773 (actual) Louisville

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Fri May 12, 2023 5:08 am

conrod6 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 10:28 pm
I think all ACM2 hoods had the same 'F' stamped Ford hinge and rear edge reinforcing whether used on an MB or GPW -

Barrie
Yes, well into CJ2A production, thus the waffle stamp to try to obscure it. https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/f-sc ... amp#260360

I also editied my reply to your brake/clutch arm post as the second picture was not there when I replied the first time. All part of the same history/mystery. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=334839
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Bill M
MechTech

Post by Bill M » Fri May 12, 2023 5:18 am

On my Jan 1944 ACM2 tub the firewall studs and the stud on the rear panel holding the tire pump clamp are F script.
Years ago seeing the W-O factory line photo with a GPW marked T84 case on a Willys powertrain is evidence that both manufacturers either collaborated willingly or were directed to assist each other during this time.
Bill
Member of G503 since 1999

GPW-178721 Under restoration.

conrod6
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by conrod6 » Fri May 12, 2023 7:00 am

Hello Jeff, , yes it took me a few minutes to find the second photo !

Barrie
GPW 101005 DOD 3-2-43 20207773 (actual) Louisville

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:53 am

JAB wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 2:53 pm
Ford gave/sold/supplied certain tooling dies to ACM for the composite bodies. We've seen evidence of that in the (obscured by the waffle stamp) F-stamped CJ2A hood hinges , the seat bracket above, and other features that were carried over from Ford into the production of the ACM type II composite body. Here's another F-scripted seat bracket, but this one is from a May '42 scripted GPW and not from inside the hat channel. Obviously the production of that little bracket spanned most of the jeep production run through two manufacturers. It's the same bracket as what I found inside the hat channel, but this one is the one welded directly to the floor for the drivers seat legs (as seen in the background). And again, the F is hidden by being sandwiched against the underside of the floor. After welding a new cage and installing a new nut I welded it back on to the body, and hid the F, as original.

IMG_1227.jpg
Hello Jeff,

I like your documentation and discovery of these F marked brackets on the GPW and ACM2 bodies !!
Well done !!

We should also mentioned it went both ways, with later GPWs coming from the factory with MB radiators, which I didn't know until very recently.
We do learn new things every day :D .

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”