Jeep Willys MB

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Dper
G-Civilian

Jeep Willys MB

Post by Dper » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:40 am

Hi!
First of all, I'll introduce myself:I am Portuguese and I lived for a few years in Switzerland where I bought my Jeep Willys that I took 3 years to restore it. For almost a year, I returned to live in Portugal.
Now, I want to legalize it in Portugal but the authorities of this country ask me for an official document declaring the date of the first entry into circulation of the vehicle. I have an aproximative date between October 1 and October 15, 1943 but nothing official. There would be someone who could tell me that official entity could issue this kind of statement that I need so much ???
Thank you in advance for your help.

Dper

savmag
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Jeep Willys MB

Post by savmag » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:18 am

Hi Dper,

I think that the authorities are asking what is the first date of vehicle circulation as a "normal vehicle". This date can be probably located on the Swiss vehicle registration certificate.

If the Portuguese authorities are asking for the official date of construction which may indeed be somewhere between 1 and 15 of October 1943, then I do not believe that there is any official body which may certify the construction date as the original Willys Factory is no longer in existence.

Good luck with all the formalities and take good care of your jeep.

dpcd67
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Jeep Willys MB

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:39 am

Perhaps mean the first entry into Civilian circulation; (Military vehicles are not in "circulation" as in, the commercial market) like any other car or truck. I would just give them a date; what does it matter? Tell them it was sold as surplus on the civilian market in 1948.
I now see you are looking for some "official" agency to verify when it was made: ain't going to happen. Get a notarized bill of sale showing some date, from the seller.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”