Help getting bell crank out

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
RobertEarl
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Help getting bell crank out

Post by RobertEarl » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:21 pm

I am trying to remove the bell crank off of the front axle. I cannot drive the pin that holds the shaft out. I beat on it for at least 10 minutes and the
head only move about 1/32 inch. I can not get a good straight shot at it as the diff cover is in the way. Any thoughts that might help?

Reb

dinof
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Help getting bell crank out

Post by dinof » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:59 pm

I would heat up the metal around the pin for a few minutes and then give it a try. Worst case scenario is that you would have to drill it out. you do have to be careful though, when drilling not to remove any material around the pin.
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43

Scott Schiller
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Scott Schiller » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:32 pm

Like Dino said, heat is your friend, also, be sure your driving the pin out from the correct side. This part is difficult sometimes, soak in penetrating catalyst for a few days.
Here is a vid I made on the subject.
https://youtu.be/cke6TgHM_3M

Oilleaker1
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Oilleaker1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:02 am

Been here and done this. Mine had a previous owner bang on the tapered pin from the differential cover side until they had effectively peened the tapered pin end wider in the hole and locked it in place. The only way I could get it out was to drill into the center of the tapered pin from the drivers side. You then tap the drilled hole with a tap. Place a larger sized nut over the pin to provide a surface for a "puller bolt" . Then carefully screw a bolt that is the same thread as your tap into the drilled hole. Maybe a few washers on it. It uses the threads to act as a puller. It is not a easy task while under the front of you Jeep. Drilling the pin is also a religious experience. Slow and easy is the ticket. John
Automotive Archeology

Scrumps
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Scrumps » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:27 am

Hi,

I used a socket over the large end of the cotter , a ball bearing in the recess of the small end and a large welding clamp over the two as a large press. It moved the cotter just enough to drift it out afterwards.

Scrumps

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Try this one-
http://jeepdraw.com/images/HOW-TO-R&R-B ... APR-15.pdf
Hope I got that right.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 45 yrs)
EAA ( 45 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:10 pm

I recently went thru this pain. It took a long time. What finally worked was using a very long bar, big hammer, and heat. Removing the diff cover would have been a big help but i'd already changed the oil and gasket and didn't want to undo it.
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

KiwiMB
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by KiwiMB » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:01 pm

Folks,
be careful with heat, this is a steering component and in this instance heat may not be your friend. Get yourself a 2 leg bearing puller. Slide a hardened steel washer over the shaft, hook the legs of the puller over the hardened washer and apply pressure on the shaft with the forcing screw. Viola!

Ian
Ian J
New Zealand
1941 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC 53
1953 M38A1 Nekaf

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”