How fast can you drive a Jeep?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Joe Gopan
Gee Addict

Re: How fast can you drive a Jeep?

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:41 am

What symptoms does your Jeep exhibit at 40 MPH? Is it noise, loose steering, vibration, lack of power? Do you experience the same effects when riding in 40's to 71 4 Cylinder Jeeps belonging to others?
What does your Jeep do that makes you not want to drive it over 40 MPH?
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Ron D
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Ron D » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:34 am

twinflyer17 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:30 am
I figure that gives my tailgaters the proper heads up that I'm not going any faster 8)

Agree. But it's not the tailgaters that are likely to kill you (they've already seen you). It's the clowns that are going to hit you from the rear doing 60+ and didn't see you because they were playing with their phones, or the other clowns that'll pass you in the race and then slam on the brakes.......

For those of us using common sense, I believe Army regulations to this day restrict tactical vehicle speed to 45 mph MAX (conditions permitting) and have been for decades........ :D
Last edited by Ron D on Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ron D
1952 M38
1951 M100

dpcd67
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:37 am

WHAT???
Everyone is talking about the dangers of driving jeeps at high speeds with other crazy drivers on the road. None of our jeeps exhibit the things you describe, up to 60 mph at least. The speed limit is so you can survive, not because the vehicle won't go.
Jeeps are death traps, only slightly safer than a motorcycle, when you get hit, which around here, is frequently (motorcycles I mean).
Obviously your insinuation is that everyone else's vehicles are crap, compared to yours.
Up in maine you only have to watch out for moose.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:23 am

dpcd67 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:37 am
Jeeps are death traps, only slightly safer than a motorcycle, when you get hit, which around here, is frequently (motorcycles I mean).
I respectfully disagree. At least on a motorcycle you have a helmet (smart riders, at least) and when hit head on you can be thrown off the bike. Getting hit head on in a jeep is terrifying to think about...especially with no seat belt, a big steering wheel in your chest, and a glass windshield. I think it's safe to agree that both motorcycles and jeeps are dangerous (I have both), but I personally feel much safer on a motorcycle than in my jeep...
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:46 pm

Where ever you are in the world, there are always idiots on the road, no matter what vehicle you are in , you are not entirely safe. Another problem here in England, is the amount of un-insured drivers on the road, and believe me there are a few. Reading the feedbacks on this thread, i stated 40MPH max speed, and with the photos Yves posted, its just dropped to 35MPH. So if your behind me ,sorry but you will have to be patient.

YLG80
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by YLG80 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:22 pm

Mark Jesic wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:46 pm
... its just dropped to 35MPH.
Hi Mark, that's my preferred cruise speed, up to max 40 mph.
And believe me, I have as much flies in the teeth than the one who is driving @ 60mph++. :D
Most of the time, as you know, I'm driving with the windshield down :lol:

BTW, nobody is speaking about taking a roundabout with a jeep.
These day's, there are so many roundabout here in Belgium! We just follow what they are doing in France !
A very dangerous "pleasure" which makes you sick! :mrgreen: .
Yves
Ford GPW 164794 1/4T 12-7-43 - Frame# GPW*239762*
ACM I body#198443
Restored as 1st Army 759th LT B21
ON6YD(ex YB1AUH)

Joe Gopan
Gee Addict

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:14 pm

Some G Members may remember the Jeep being flipped during an ever tightening power turn here on G-503.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

dpcd67
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:35 pm

Our state does not require motorcyclists to wear helmets, and none do. They are called "Organ Donors". Good points on them, vs jeeps, though.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Ron D
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Ron D » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:40 pm

Although I generally detest government infringement of freedom by making helmet (and seat belt) laws that counter Darwin's Law, there are two rules I learned about motorcycle riding a long time ago:

1. If you ride eventually you'll fall.
2. If you have a $10 head wear a $10 helmet.

Thankfully so far I've only experienced #1 because I invested a lot more heavily in #2. :D Those days are in my past now. Crazy out there today.

There are plenty of clowns here driving without insurance too. Where are the cops (before the accident, not after) to weed these dead-beats off the road?

If you insist on driving a 75 year old truck past it's intended design limits with all these clowns, then good luck! But I hope I'm nowhere nearby when it happens. Because eventually it will. Dang it, did I say that out loud? :shock:
Ron D
1952 M38
1951 M100

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:53 am

I think some of us have been watching too many movies where they drive and throw jeeps around like maniacs, the Rat Patrol springs to mind. Yes i have done this in the past, but not now im older and wiser, and my jeep is very precious to me.

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:07 am

dpcd67 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:35 pm
They are called "Organ Donors".
I probably shouldn't laugh, but... :lol: :lol: I'm going to start calling motorcycle riders this when they don't wear helmets, because it's very true!
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

horrocks
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by horrocks » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:21 am

I've turned a jeep when goofing around. Due to my rare ability to fly I didn't end up underneath it, but was sitting on the ground just beside the point where it landed square upside-down, engine briefly still running. It was an interesting sensation, but not one that I would care to repeat.
Toby

Willys MB 3/13/42 127415
Willys MB 1/9/45 404620

dinof
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by dinof » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:18 am

I was 16 years old driving into an intersection at 50 mph, when a kid made a right turn in front of me in a van. HE rolled onto his side and I skidded sideways for 30 feet. To this day I can't understand why I didn't roll over. It should of by all means and if it did, my and my 2 friends would surely of been killed. To this day, at 59, it still haunts me. The driver of the van, was high on marijuana. My jeep was fixed, and ran good after the repairs...

Not the jeep I have today. Much different. Raised a bit, Chevy 327, you get the drift......
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:36 am

Sean, motorcyclists have to wear helmets over here, by law. I was talking to a nurse i know a while back, she told me that extra trauma surgeons are on duty in the summer months especially on Sundays, when most bikers go for a run. They were also given the name "organ donors", but the surgeons gave them this name. So guys with all the scaremongering on this thread, is it still wise to drive a jeep ??? YYYEEEESSSS. :D

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:08 am

Good topic here. However those who advocate driving at a high rate of speed (for a jeep) are convinced their jeep is as "good as the day it rolled off the line". I have no problem with that approach but I doubt that there are even 10% of those who have restored their jeeps to that level that would even consider driving 60MPH like the speedo goes to.

There are those who do "rebuild" their jeeps, which to me isn't the same as "restore" them...the difference being that if you rebuild one you just fix what is wrong and cosmetically return it to factory looks as opposed to "restoring" them which I think would mean you evaluate every last assembly, part, nut and bolt and replace them with NOS or suitably "restored" items. This gets down to the components in the steering system for one. Another would be to toss out the old U-joints and springs/shocks no matter how they perform for instance.

There is a definite line between a rebuilt and restored jeep and that alone might make a big difference in your willingness to drive over 45 MPH in your jeep.

It goes without saying that a jeep is a loser when it comes to getting t-boned or rear-ended because you can't be seen or someone behind you is distracted and their 6,000 lbs of mass collides with your 3,200 lbs of jeep. Just take a look at any new car and see what has developed due to accidents and fatalities....head rests to prevent broken necks, ABS brakes, turn signals, disc-brakes, BRIGHT headlights and taillights, seat belts, front crumple zones, a body construction like a cage and let us not forget the airbag in the steering wheel, on the dash, one the front pillars and those above your heads above the side windows.

You wanna run with the Big Dogs then get something in their class....meaning high speeds in your jeep are a bad idea. Based on 1930's technology, the jeep is outclassed on the roads these days which are so crowded and being used by idiots. In fact, the modern pickup truck you tow that jeep with probably has a much higher rate of survival in an accident and mile for mile on any road over say about 40-45 MPH. Heck, the road system now compared to when the jeep was designed wasn't going to allow for much over 40-45 MPH. The world's first freeways were the Autobahn roads the allies found so accommodating. It was Ike who called for a similar system to be built in this country, the Interstate Highway System.

So I don't think the jeep was ever designed for the freeway/Autobahn speeds we have today. Why would anyone think that even a totally "restored" jeep would be just fine for driving at speeds on them is beyond me. Here in CA the minimum is 45 MPH when the max speeds are 65-70 MPH or a reason. Unless you have a chase car with lights, blinkers, flashing yellow rotating beacons, etc like over size or wide load or heavy loaded vehicles do you just don't belong out there.

Like I said..."Where's the fire?", just take the rural roads and enjoy the ride instead of the white-knuckle experience on the freeway when driving at 60 MPH and having every vehicle except maybe Grandma pass you and many give you the finger.

...but hey, its your jeep and your life, so go as fast as you want if that pleases you.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”