8 Miles Per Hour = 600 RPM. Mistake in TM ?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: 8 Miles Per Hour = 600 RPM. Mistake in TM ?

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:01 am

"Forget all that Army training and throw away your Army-issued RPM meter and set your idle by ear"

Is it possible? Sure, but trying to determine at what RPM the jeep stalls out and if that is a problem with the carb or timing..... could use a few meters to help. Like the RPM Meter, a Dwell Meter and a Vaccum Gauge for instance...
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

OldPappy
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: 8 Miles Per Hour = 600 RPM. Mistake in TM ?

Post by OldPappy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:52 am

Not wanting to get in the middle of the P...ing contest, but while all those tools certainly help, most people do not carry them around with them.

Adjustments are sometimes needed far from home.

I was adjusting carburetors, ignition timing, and even valve lash, long before I had the right tools for the job, and even with those tools some additional adjustments are often needed. What the manuals specify is often just a starting point.

I can set point gap close enough to tolerance by just eyeballing it, and can tell whether the fuel mix is too lean, or too rich by listening to the engine. Idle speed is the easy part.

It sure doesn't hurt to know enough to be able to do without the nice tools when necessary.
A.C.Fults
East Tennessee
Shade Tree Mechanic more than 50 years.
None of us are as smart as we pretend to be.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”