4th contract for Ford Louisville Plant

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: 4th contract for Ford Louisville Plant

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:16 am

I don't believe that the Farley book which gives you exact numbers per month data will be helpful as Tom was unable to find any data to support his contentions and his research was actually to the contrary. Go with Tom's FACTORY data. Without the contract data and how many GPWs were ordered each month and how many each factory produced each day, Farley would have to use some other means to chart out production figures.

Ask him where he did his research to arrive at serial numbers, USA numbers, production figures. Did he visit the Ford Benson Library or???
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:17 am

Chuck
If you read my post I only suggested that Donk speaks to John. I didn't suggest he just takes the information from the book. Again as I posted John did a lot of research. And that may include something that may help. As to just where those sources came from i'm not sure. Nevertheless despite the tremendous amount of effort Tom has done. Surely he is not the only person who's taken time to look at archive material.

regards Nick

donk_316
G-Major
G-Major

Post by donk_316 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:15 am

Thanks Nick I got your message and I’ll follow up.
Tom has been working with me on the side with this issue and it looks like there are a couple gate keepers of information and none are willing to share with each other so you need to touch base with each person and then put your own info together..

The next step for me is this fabled June contract hard copy held by one person who has PMd me what I needed but my Jeep isnt on the June list as it should be so right away it’s more of a hunt for filler information at this time.

I have found evidence of other GPWs that are out of sequence by up to 3 full months. I still don’t have enough evidence to show that this Jeep is one of them.

If anyone wants my copy of the 300+ GPWs I’ve tracked down in XLS I’m more than willing to share. The list grows daily. Found a massive list to migrate into mine yesterday.. mostly DoD info
GPW 112092 04-30-43 USA 20372531 (orig)

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:53 am

Hey Donk your more than welcome. I hope that John can help you. I think a heck of a lot of research has been done taking up much time and no doubt cost. So in a way it's understandable that some are a little reluctant to share this knowledge. Taking that into consideration your offer to share the info you have amassed is much admired and indeed appreciated. It will be interesting to hear what your final conclusion comes to.
regards Nick

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 am

donk_316 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:26 pm
hey Seth :)

History is still being explored with this old girl as I know nothing more than the last few months never mind years or decades. Once I get home and I can get into this forensically then I will have much more to go on.
…………………...
………..
The tub is stamped 171445 which is a GPW assigned tub due to it having all the Ford hinges and doors. That tub was built in Sept-Oct.
………..
I've looked up tub numbers once or twice, but don't recall ever seeing a list or spreadsheet that matches (approximate, or otherwise) numbers, dates, and brands. Does such a list exist? Sure would make things easier if it did, and if it does, did I miss finding it in my searches?

Thanx!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

donk_316
G-Major
G-Major

Post by donk_316 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:20 pm

JAB,
a single list doesn't exist but by combining a few lists into a single DB I can pin point a Ford body / transition / ACM1 body / transition / ACM2 body time line as they all overlap and intertwine.

Tell me what you're looking for, GPW number or tub number and I can give you approximate information and surrounding GPWs for information.

Adding a single new GPW /ACM body to the growing DB makes it that much more accurate.

Deep trolling of the internet is an amazing tool. Everything and anything every typed, mentioned, attached or pictured onto the web is still there, somewhere. Its the search and putting it all together in one place that makes me go cross eyed.

I found a list of another couple hundred GPW and DoDs to add... each one manually... Geez.

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:54 pm

I was afraid of that.

I've got 121371, which is an ACM type II MB that IIRC when I looked it up is a Sept. '44, (or was it '43?, that's why I asked about the list) and 255889 which appears to be a later '45 MB without the fuel filter on the firewall.
This was my source; https://rdrnl.home.xs4all.nl/4UWPBodynumbers.html
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

donk_316
G-Major
G-Major

Post by donk_316 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:15 am

Sorry Jab, in a different country now and making my way back to North America so I missed your post.

So you have tub
type 2 121371 Aug - Sept 1944
(type 1 would be March - April 1943 and 100% MB for sure)
type 2 255889 June - July 1945

If you need help IDing the tubs let me know.

I’m gonna be in my hotel room tonight with the music on and deep diving again. Found another rabbit hole that needs me to put it all together.

Frustrating as I know some people already have done some of this but back when things weren’t digitized.

If you have hard information on this contract or other GPW info I’ll pay you for your Databases.

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:56 am

Both are type two, thanks for helping.

I wish I had hard info to share, but if I did I would never accept payment for it!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”