Ron Fitzpatrick Barrier III Red Oxide Primer

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Ron Fitzpatrick Barrier III Red Oxide Primer

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi everyone!

So today I actually I want to take a moment to talk about the primer paint that Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts sells. The primer, Barrier III Red Oxide Primer paint, is I believe, only available in spraycans at the moment. At least I did not see a gallon option on the website, but check with Ron to be sure. I prefer spraycans because they are convenient and easy to use.

Back in May, Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts and the TeamG503 Facebook page (Haines Garage) held a contest for two cases of Barrier III Red Oxide paint in spraycans. To enter the contest you just had to like and share the Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts page. I entered the contest and was very surprised when I found out I was one of two winners. Each winner received one case of Barrier 3 Red Oxide primer, with 12 spraycans in each case. I have heard about this primer a lot, and I was really wanting to get my hands on some to try it, so the timing could not have been better.

The cans were shipped and delivered promptly, and I can say that I was very impressed with the case upon receiving it. When I opened the case, the first thing that popped into my mind was the word "Quality", because the cans look great! Actually I almost don't want to use them because the cans look so good. :D

The can is beautiful! Is the primer inside going to live up to my impression of the can?
g1.jpg
Ron's primer
g1.jpg (160.29 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Now I had intended on using some of it shortly after receiving the case, but the weather was not conducive to cleaning metal or applying a primer. So the anticipation has been growing to get something done and test out that primer! Today the weather semi-cooperated and I was able to get out one of those beautiful cans to see if they really lived up to what I had been hearing. Now last night I watched a clip of the primer being used by Scott Schiller on the TEAMG503 YouTube channel, since I wanted to make sure I did not use the can the 'wrong way'.

The familiar G503.com logo boosted confidence
g2.jpg
good logo
g2.jpg (114.99 KiB) Viewed 1380 times

Thanks to the TEAMG503 YouTube video I watched, I knew what to do to make sure it hopefully, came out looking as nice as the stuff Scott painted. Took the plastic cap off and turned the spray nozzle to align with the black mark on the can that Scott Schiller mentioned in the tech clip I watched. I also made sure to follow the instructions he gave in the video to clear the nozzle and ensure the mixed primer was coming out before applying it to the part. Definitely watch the video of Scott doing it, I know you are thinking 'How hard can it be to use paint? I have done it so many times', well I have painted with spraycans before but reviewing what Scott did allowed me to make sure I was ready and familiar with this primer.
"Peep" was the name used by the Armored Force for the 1/4 Ton truck early in WWII.

'42 Peep's Motorpool

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Ron Fitzpatrick Barrier III Red Oxide Primer

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:16 pm

Before getting the primer out, I prepared the part I wanted to prime. Again, the tech clip on the TEAMG503 Youtube channel explains how to prepare the metal before priming it for paint.

I had a tool box lid that needed some work, it may not be pretty anymore but it is 76 years old and earned it's keep.
g3.jpg
g3.jpg (239.11 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
It even has the script 'F' that seems so common on the TEAMG503 MB :wink:
g4.jpg
mark
g4.jpg (121.37 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
Last edited by '42 Peep's Motorpool on Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Peep" was the name used by the Armored Force for the 1/4 Ton truck early in WWII.

'42 Peep's Motorpool

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:20 pm

The sky started to get overcast again, which made the cleaned lid look darker and dirty. So while the pictures did not come out the best, the rain held off and it was time to prime!

Now I have painted with spraycans since forever, and I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth and easy it was to press the nozzle on the can. Wasn't too stiff to the point my finger was going purple, and it wasn't jerky, it worked very smoothly! Believe me, that impressed me since painting is about control and if it does not come out smoothly and evenly, it won't apply (in my experience) smoothly or evenly.

The primer applied, so far so good
g5.jpg
g5.jpg (167.41 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
Last edited by '42 Peep's Motorpool on Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'42 Peep's Motorpool

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:24 pm

Now I had asked around and Scott told me that I would be happy with how quickly it dried. Today the conditions were not the absolute best since the humidity was high and it had rained earlier. I did not know what to expect of the primer given the higher than usual humidity. The primer went on nice, but the overcast sky made it difficult for me to tell how well I had applied it. Only drying some would tell me how that worked, and tell me if this primer was really as nice as people have said.

About 10 minutes later it was looking like this
g6.jpg
g6.jpg (104.75 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

'42 Peep's Motorpool

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:35 pm

After it was dry enough to examine carefully, I looked it over and evaluated my thoughts on the product Ron has. I can genuinely and honestly say that while I did not have low expectations to begin with, it pleasantly surprised me with just how nice it turned out. The service with Ron Fitzpatrick has always been first rate, and the cans looked awesome when I got to see them in hand. The can I used performed flawlessly, and the can exceeded my expectations in terms of how well they worked and looked. The primer applied effortlessly, and evenly. This stuff lived up to the hype in my opinion. I will use this primer exclusively on the '42.
g7.jpg
g7.jpg (122.53 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
Although I was fortunate to win a case, the price for a can is I believe about $7.50 a can + shipping (check with Ron for details) which is very reasonable in my book. Most of us are on a budget with a restoration like this, I am on a budget and I think everyone I know who is restoring one is on a budget. The price Ron asks for the primer is very reasonable and competitive in my opinion.

My only regret, is that I did not have this a few years ago when I started! I'm thankful it's available now when I need it for the sheet metal parts though!

'42 Peep's Motorpool

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:03 pm

The video I watched is on the TEAMG503 YouTube channel, and the specific video is called "Barrier III Red Oxide Primer Stripping And Priming Body Panels On A 1943 Willys MB Team G503"

'42 Peep's Motorpool

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm

I have used this primer from Ron now as well for some small parts. If they can get it in gallons, I would be a buyer... I liked it.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:56 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm
I have used this primer from Ron now as well for some small parts. If they can get it in gallons, I would be a buyer... I liked it.
Absolutely! Fantastic stuff, I just cleaned and primed another part with it today. Part came out wonderfully, did not get photos because more storms moved in. This will be great to use on the tub once it's ready.

'42 Peep's Motorpool

m3bobby
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by m3bobby » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:59 am

Can you let us know the result after spraying the top coat and what type of top coat you used? I’ve got Rons top coat and find it works better on some primers than others. The best primer I’ve found so far and appears very similar to this stuff is the VHT primer. I’ll certainly be buying a crate of this the next time I’m in the states.
Ford GPW 6008, in slow process of restoration.

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:21 am

m3bobby wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:59 am
Can you let us know the result after spraying the top coat and what type of top coat you used? I’ve got Rons top coat and find it works better on some primers than others. The best primer I’ve found so far and appears very similar to this stuff is the VHT primer. I’ll certainly be buying a crate of this the next time I’m in the states.
Hi!

Yes I plan on ordered some cans of 33070 from Ron this month, and will post the results. The TeamG503 videos on Youtube show the topcoat applied, but I want to try it myself, and besides I need a topcoat. :D

'42 Peep's Motorpool

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:03 pm

33070 ordered from Ron Fitzpatrick, can't wait to try it out! Will update when I receive it, and hopefully the weather will be good then. :D

'42 Peep's Motorpool

Beers
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Beers » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:01 pm

Peep, if you like cans of Ron’s 33070, you ought to try the gallons, thinned with some Xylene (providing you have a gun and compressor of course). Goes on super easy, dries in no time and has a great uniform finish. It’s a pleasure to paint with. Paul
1943 MB 213301 DOD 2-22-43

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:12 pm

Beers wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:01 pm
Peep, if you like cans of Ron’s 33070, you ought to try the gallons, thinned with some Xylene (providing you have a gun and compressor of course). Goes on super easy, dries in no time and has a great uniform finish. It’s a pleasure to paint with. Paul
I use a lot of the 33070 gallons as well from Ron. I really like it. I use Xylene when I can find it as it's banned in CA for the chains. Home Depot and Ace don't carry it any longer. The mom and pop stores still can carry it, however.

If Ron gets the gallon cans of the primer. I would be all set.
Zeph

Beers
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Beers » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:21 pm

zepher11 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:12 pm
Beers wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:01 pm
I use a lot of the 33070 gallons as well from Ron. I really like it. I use Xylene when I can find it as it's banned in CA for the chains. Home Depot and Ace don't carry it any longer. The mom and pop stores still can carry it, however.

If Ron gets the gallon cans of the primer. I would be all set.
Yup, totally agree. Rustoleum rusty metal primer works really nice but I would use Ron’s primer in a heartbeat if the gallons were available.
1943 MB 213301 DOD 2-22-43

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:54 pm

Just received a shipment this week from Ron:

Zeph

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”