Adding additional leaves to new repo set?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
signsup
banned

Adding additional leaves to new repo set?

Post by signsup » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:29 am

Spring Salad on my 42 GPW need to be replaced. I'm not the jeep police, so the repo set from OMYX/ADA was what I purchased. Fronts are identical 8 leaf setand rear are identiicle to each other, 9 leaf packs. I was surprised that the fronts are arched approx. 2" lower than the rears, but I am sure they are correct.
Appears that there are enough threads on the long bolt coming through the center holes on the leaves to hold an additional leaf. Since I've got spring salad anyways, I could find an extra leaf to add to the bottom two so that I don't have to mess with the leaf clamps. Just clamp the packs, remove the center nut and fit in an extra leaf. Paint the whole pack and install.

Does this bring anything to the table?

Would adding just one leaf to the drivers front help jeep lean? Since a 10 leaf pack was a late war option, should I look into getting a longer bolt and adding two leaves to the drivers front?

It's only a day's work, after painting to replace the packs, but I might as well do what makes sense to address some spring issues while I'm at it.

Any of this make sanse?
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

Fabrizio
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Adding additional leaves to new repo set?

Post by Fabrizio » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:49 am

That might help lean (or reverse it!) but that also sounds a little bit risky to me.
You would end up with totally different stiffness on the front left and right.

They are supposed to be asymetrical from factory (front left being « tougher » to support the engine offset weight), but playing with extra leaves does not sound safe!
GPW #3606 “LIBBY”
"Jeep is America's only real sports car." - Enzo Ferrari

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:11 am

The set I purchased are identical fronts, no different for left or right, so other than the TRS, the springs will be identical. If I were to add a leaf, what I am hearing is to add the same amount to each front to keep them "balanaced". Even though I was under the impression that they were unbalanced from the factory due to the offset engine alignment.

I'm so confused....
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:33 am

They were originally but new ones, I doubt if the repros are any different left to right. .
I have mixed and matched new and old springs without issues. I also have used an angle grinder to make new springs look like GPW angled side springs.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:34 am

Install them as-is and see what you get before "fixing" something that maybe ain't broke!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:53 am

Well, that's no fun...
but it makes sense. I'll take some before and after photos and measurements and the new packs look like with no mods.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

hawkers finest
G-Private
G-Private

Post by hawkers finest » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:17 am

The left spring had the same amount of leaves in it as the right spring Wetherby it was early or late the later jeep having one extra leaf per side , but hey always had the same amount. What determine left and right was a letter L on the lowest leaf this was to let whoever fittest the springs know it was left or heavy duty spring, unlike the right spring which was standard .BE CAREFUL ADDING AN EXTRA LEAF IT WAS NEVER DONE IN THE FACTORY , I WOULDN'T FIT DIFFERENT SPRINGS ON AN AXLE COULD BE DANGEROUS

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”