Starter Flowcharts & photobucket....reason for Jeepdraw links

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Bob Bell
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: Starter Flowcharts & photobucket....reason for Jeepdraw links

Post by Bob Bell » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:14 pm

David,

I will get the battery checked this week. Been too busy to get to the jeep for the last week due to visitors and other priorities.

However I do have two points I wish to raise. The first is the matter of the rear seal. Artificer states very plainly in his flow chart the following:
Engine is very hard to turn. Check mechanical reasons engine won't turn...crank/piston/s tight
seized, new bad rear main oil seal. Have someone depress clutch. Anything alter?
New engines may be a little tight BUT this should not negatively affect a good starting system.
Yves states that this cannot be so, that is to say, a bad new seal will not impede the starter in turning the engine, yet if it is not so, why does Artificer mention it? I tried to PM him but see he is now banned from the forum.

The second point is the soaking of the rope seal in oil prior to installation. When I was building he engine last year, I carefully followed the video by Metalshaper on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e39dNzVYsP8. He does not soak the seal. So I didn't. After reading others comments re soaking, and watching another very good video which DOES soak the seal in oil, it makes sense to me that it should be soaked. It was the fact that I didn't soak the seal, and then reading Artificer's flow chart, where 'new bad rear oil seal' is included in a list of potential starting problems, that led me to question whether this was my problem.

It is a fact that I am losing oil from the rear seal, and I am resigned to the fact that I will have to pull the motor and replace it, as I can't imagine it will 'heal' itself, even as it becomes soaked in oil.

So I am interested to hear from others as to how essential the 'pre-soak' is and also an explanation of ' new bad rear main oil seal' as it appears in the context above.
Thanks,
Bob
Bob Bell

1946 CJ2A 36116
Have owned dozens of flat fenders over the years including 1945 CJ2A 10011 which I sold in 2002.
First 4WD was an Austin Champ in 1965, and then a GPW UK license number HRO 443, sold in 1974.

Bob Bell
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Bob Bell » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:00 pm

Great news!
The brand new battery is bad. I fitted the new replacement - it was under warranty - and the engine turns over nicely. Still leaks oil at the rear seal and I see oil coming from the front seal also. Still having problems timing the motor. I took the capstan winch off so I could turn the motor by hand to check the point gap, which, of course, turned out to be gapped correctly.
Bob
Bob Bell

1946 CJ2A 36116
Have owned dozens of flat fenders over the years including 1945 CJ2A 10011 which I sold in 2002.
First 4WD was an Austin Champ in 1965, and then a GPW UK license number HRO 443, sold in 1974.

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:28 pm

Bob Bell wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:00 pm
..... Still having problems timing the motor. ....
Bob
Assuming the valve timing is correct, try this method;

https://oldjeepcarbs.com/thread/29/time ... ming-light
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Bob Bell
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Bob Bell » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:20 pm

Thanks JAB - I'd love to try this IF ONLY I could get the motor to run!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the flywheel is 180 degrees off, which doesn't help either.
Bob Bell

1946 CJ2A 36116

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”