Star washers on body bolts

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Charlie Gaetani
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Star washers on body bolts

Post by Charlie Gaetani » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:54 pm

I own a May 1943 GPW which is not a radio jeep. Should the 14 body bolts have star washers installed or just use the pal nuts and the thick plain washers? Also do the fender bolts need star washers or do they just have a plain washer and a lock washer? When I tore down the jeep I do not remember seeing any star washers on the fenders or the body. Any help is appreciated. I have seen unmolested 44 and 45 GPWs and they have star washers on all the body connections.

Charlie
Charlie Gaetani

Carl Laney
Re: Star washers on body bolts

Post by Carl Laney » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:58 pm

Charlie, the pictures I have of 1944 # 242581 (4x4 Magazine special edition) shows star washers on the body bolts. I have used this book for my GPW restoration and is said to be one of the best restored GPW's. The pictures show a star washing under a flat washing secured by a nut.

Carl
'44 G{W
'42 Slatgrill

Charlie Gaetani

Post by Charlie Gaetani » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:47 pm

Carl, I have the same book and use the photos as references as well and was going to use star washers. However, after reading the judging standards it states that the body bolts only have two thick washers the nut and a pal nut, no star washers. I closely looked over a unrestored 44 and45 GPW and the were both just like the one in your book. Maybe the later jeeps all were configured to be radio jeeps. Thanks for your help but I think I have to do more research.

Many thanks
Charlie
Charlie Gaetani

Jon
Australian Army (Retired) R.A.E.M.E.
Australian Army (Retired) R.A.E.M.E.

Post by Jon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Charlie, look in the SLN G-503 for your model. If it lists the star washers, use them, if not, then don't.
If you don't have an SNL, you can download it for free of the G503.com/JeepDraw home page.
Sorry it's the only copy I have.
http://www.jeepdraw.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; February 1945 SNL G-503 Full or Partial Catalog Download

If you look at that jeep in the 4 x 4 Magazine, it's a coffee table thing, is it value for money....depends on the purchaser.
Ten years to restore, and from what I recall the MD Juan used a photo of that jeep to advertise it's repro tubs.
Nice photos, but I prefer all original, untouched and accurate. By that I mean not every bolt was F stamped, it is on that book jeep.
Not 100% accurate by any stretch of the imagination.
I just did a "Search". look through this one. http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 3&start=75" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some for some against.

JR
Jon Rogers
AUSTRALIA

http://jeepdraw.com JeepDraw Home Page & Drawings
Parts Colours Page http://jeepdraw.com/PART_COLOURS.htm
1944 GPW195611 20531384 ACM-2 17781
1942 MBT 19433W

Charlie Gaetani

Post by Charlie Gaetani » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:32 am

John,
I do have a SLN G-503. I forgot I had it. I will look tonight. Thanks a lot for your input.

Charlie
Charlie Gaetani

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:52 am

I'm wondering if the star washers on tub/frame bolts are a Type I vs Type II suppression thing?

GPW 17963 4/24/42 still has the PAL nuts and original body pads on it and the tub is an early script FORD so it seems to have never been removed...still has the springs on side bolts in fact.....I can see bolts, round washers, lock washers and hex nuts....and unless the star washers are so thin and squashed between the round washers and the frame....there are none. I did not see them on fender-to-tub bolts and I did not see them across the rear panel-to-rear crossmember bolts either. They may be there and under 70 years of paint/crud/etc. but I think at least ONE would have been visible!

I suggest not looking at a manual that was inexistance after the Type II suppression was instituted....check manuals BEFORE that.

I looked at the Ford TM 10-1348 for March 1943 which should cover your GPW...
On page 68 the fenders list for instance shows:
Hex head screw
plain washer
lockwasher
nut

(the fender to cowl lists "special washer" instead of plain washer....but it is a 351370 and not one of the 34939 or 34941 series listed as "lockwasher-external tooth" in the same manual....)
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Charlie Gaetani

Post by Charlie Gaetani » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:51 am

Chuck, when was type 11 supression instituted? When I disasembled the jeep 13 years ago I placed all the bolts, nuts and washers together and did not have any star washers for the body bolts. Also what is the difference between type 1 and type 11 star washers? One more question, were the bolts longer for type 11 supression the for jeeps which did not have radio suppression? Thanks for your interest.
Charlie
Charlie Gaetani

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:57 am

The earliest I have seen type II suppression on a GPW has been 08/02/44 (Paulie's GPW), so I sure would like to know if anyone has remnants of filters on their GPW before then.
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”