Clutch Thrust Bearing

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
artificer
banned

Re: Clutch Thrust Bearing

Post by artificer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:08 pm

Armyspecial wrote:Ok, started the Jeep tonight, the noise was stilll there but went after a few moments. I assume this was the result of the Oil making its way into the bushing? There is no noise now, so have i just fixed the problem for the moment, but it will return? Richard
Exactly when was the noise there....with the clutch pedal right out vehicle in N?
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Armyspecial
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Armyspecial » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:51 pm

As i let the clutch out when in gear so when load was put on the clutch plate.
44 Ford GPW 197755 REME Rebuild - British No 53 YH 48 Hood No M6015520 (Actual)
42 Ford GPW 52726 Hood No 20132506 (Actual) DOD 4TH AUG 42 (Ex NAAS Oceana)
44 Bedford MWD
http://www.omvc.moonfruit.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Thanks, you are on the right track....so you haven't split the two as yet?
Last edited by artificer on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Armyspecial
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Armyspecial » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:09 pm

John, split the two what?
44 Bedford MWD

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Engine & Transmission...

Armyspecial
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Armyspecial » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:18 pm

No. If you read my previous post I have tried the lubrication suggestion first.
44 Bedford MWD

chrisnwmsu
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by chrisnwmsu » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:01 am

I know this is an old post BUT

Armyspecial, I am wondering what ended up fixing your problem. I am having the same issue right now. I am not sure if it is the TO Bearing or the pilot bushing. I am close to drilling a hole in the TO bearing and pumping some grease in to see if that is temporary fix for a while.

I have a video of mine that I can send or text if anyone is interested in helping.

thanks
Chris

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:20 am

to summarize....
1) NOISE can come from the disk or incorrect clutch finger adjustment or a bad T/O bearing or the flywheel bushing.
2) The flywheel bushing MUST be lubricated before installation
3) The flywheel bushing is SUPPOSED to be reamed to size after installation or it may bind on the main gear
4) If the main gear and bushing are binding, the squeeling may be from the bushing turning in the flywheel or from the dry main gear turning in the bushing.

If you suspect that you forgot to properly lube the bushing/main gear....you should try to jack up the rear of the jeep , remove the insp. cover and get some OIL on the main gear AHEAD of the T/O bearing. It is a longshot but we did it with Dave's jeep and it worked. Otherwise pulling the T-84 out and getting a little oil in the bushing and/or a bit of GREASE on the tip of the main gear is the next option.

however....checking to see if the T/O is dragging on the clutch fingers when idling in neutral should be done FIRST. Also, watch the action of the T/O and clutch with a good flashlight while someone presses the clutch pedal down when idling in neutral to see if that causes the squeeling or if it only occurs when in gear and shifting.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

chrisnwmsu
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by chrisnwmsu » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:59 pm

Chuck. I sent you a private message.
Chuck Lutz wrote:to summarize....
1) NOISE can come from the disk or incorrect clutch finger adjustment or a bad T/O bearing or the flywheel bushing.
2) The flywheel bushing MUST be lubricated before installation
3) The flywheel bushing is SUPPOSED to be reamed to size after installation or it may bind on the main gear
4) If the main gear and bushing are binding, the squeeling may be from the bushing turning in the flywheel or from the dry main gear turning in the bushing.

If you suspect that you forgot to properly lube the bushing/main gear....you should try to jack up the rear of the jeep , remove the insp. cover and get some OIL on the main gear AHEAD of the T/O bearing. It is a longshot but we did it with Dave's jeep and it worked. Otherwise pulling the T-84 out and getting a little oil in the bushing and/or a bit of GREASE on the tip of the main gear is the next option.

however....checking to see if the T/O is dragging on the clutch fingers when idling in neutral should be done FIRST. Also, watch the action of the T/O and clutch with a good flashlight while someone presses the clutch pedal down when idling in neutral to see if that causes the squeeling or if it only occurs when in gear and shifting.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:06 pm

Remember, the Clutch Pilot Bushings are made of graphite impregnated bronze, they need no lube except for the little dab of grease indicated by the manuals when first installed.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:23 pm

Twenty years of long hot summers may cause a flywheel bushing to lose some of its' ability to lubricate the bushing and the main gear. In addition to that, it is soft enough to be distorted when installed and if so, it may bind on the main gear and cause noise, heat and wear.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

chrisnwmsu
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by chrisnwmsu » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:29 am

Chuck Lutz wrote:Twenty years of long hot summers may cause a flywheel bushing to lose some of its' ability to lubricate the bushing and the main gear. In addition to that, it is soft enough to be distorted when installed and if so, it may bind on the main gear and cause noise, heat and wear.
I spent some time on the M38 this weekend. I adjusted the linkage to the correct lengths. I jacked the rear up and used 3 in 1 oil. I lubed it up 4 times with about 8 drops each time. I let it sit for 2.5 days. I put it back on the ground and left the inspection cover off. I fired it up. Let it warm up and took it for a drive. NO NOISE!!!
I am not 100% sure what it was, linkage or oil, but at this rate I don't care.
I drove it for 40 minutes and it did not do it once!

I appreciate the guidance! One thing I love about the jeep world is everyone is willing to help each other.

Jeep ON!

Anrew
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Anrew » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:43 am

Does anyone know what the bearing number is so that I can order a new one before taking the old one out?

Thanks in advance
Andrew

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:48 pm

It's easy to find on Ron's parts site; 635529 https://www.vintagejeeps.com/search.asp ... term=throw

A-2013 is the actual Aetna brand part number.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:42 pm

Where are you going to get your clutch from? or going to reuse the old one? fork may have wear on it along with the throw out bearing carrier ears.

Adam

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”