Ford GPW 1942

Post your jeep photos, Pre or Post restoration. Bragging Photos etc. Also LIFE jeep photos.
aamir567
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Ford GPW 1942

Post by aamir567 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:09 am

Dear Friends

I restored this GPW in 1990. Although i tried to restore it at it original specs but still i changed few items like Wheel Rims etc.
I want ur expert commets on this GPW.

Thanx

Aamir Malik

It is always Man behind the wheels.

REG
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by REG » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:17 am

It's another Jeep rescued and loved, well done!

Any more photos?

Are you looking to put it back to original specifications?
REG

"Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten."

aamir567
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by aamir567 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:26 am

I would like to know that which parts r original n which parts needs attention.

I have action pics too, which i will post later.

I used to drive this Ford GPW 1942 on different offroading tracks. I am more than satisfied with the performance.

Kindly guide me , how to put Roll cage & seat belts so that the original look remains the same or it looks cool.

aamir567
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by aamir567 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:31 am

aamir567
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by aamir567 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:32 am

iron duck atelier
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by iron duck atelier » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:59 am

It's another Jeep rescued and loved, well done!
:? :shock: :roll:
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

Albert Einstein.

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:17 am

well, depending on when in '42 she was built, it may have come from the factory without a blackout drive light. Only one (driver's side) would have been installed later. It probably didn't come from the factory with provisions for the fuel can either.

The lift rings on the front bumper are from either an M38 or an M151, and the extra off-road lights aren't original.

The rims (you already mentioned it) are from an M151 jeep, and I'm surprised that they fit.

The seats should be covered in OD canvas, and wonder if the frames are correct.

Now, if you want to restore it, that's one thing, if you want to put a roll bar in it, that's another. A roll bar isn't right. The U.S. Army didn't put roll bars in jeeps at all until much much later. I wouldn't be able to begin to tell you how to put it in to make it look right, as it wouldn't be right. How you'd make it look "cool" is strictly up to you, but I've seen several of these modified with roll bars, and never thought any of them looked cool. Seat belts were also never installed by the Army. They can be done, but require adding reinforcement and extra holes.

aamir567
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by aamir567 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:16 am

I also participate in 4x4 rallies.
Rally organisers demand is to have seat belt & Roll cage

I dont want to D Shape my Ford GPW 1942 by installing bad shaped roll cage

Kindly guide me any website or picture

Thanx in advance

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:30 am

Aamir...unfortunately you have to really butcher your jeep to install a reliable roll-cage on it....you can't bolt it to the TUB ane expect it to work on the trails in your photos....it needs to be attached to the frame...

My suggeston is to buy a Mahindra and modify it and keep your relatively original WWII jeep as-is and take off the stuff not original to it.

There is the story of the guy who (against the suggestions of others) installed a V-8 and better Dana axels in his WWII jeep, a different transmission and transfer case, he lifted the tub to get clearance for HUGE tires, added huge shocks, a roll cage and then when he went out he twisted the frame so badly he had to replace the frame....in the end after he rebuilt it TWICE, he did not have a WWII jeep anymore he had a tub with a roll-cage, a bolted in set of Recaro seats, no rear seat, a V-8 and different driveline, a Chevy power-steering column.....but he painted it GLOSS OD if I remember correctly.

He ruined a decent GPW/MB to learn what he was advised on more than one occasion because he thought it was "cool"....

Now the jeep in your photo is doing quite nicely going up the track with a full load....if the Off Road club requires a roll-cage...then find a CJ or Mahindra and modify it....the WWII jeep just does not have the bones to handle all those add-ons.....it will do the job, but not with all the modifications off-roaders seem to "need"....

Hope this is not too harsh a post, but if you leave it as it is.....it has a certain "curb appeal" even the biggest, baddest Off-Road vehicles will NEVER have....your jeep helped to win World War II.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

aamir567
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by aamir567 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:54 am

Thanx for the detailed advise
I am also very much concerned about the butchering of my Ford

I live in Pakistan n in Pakistan there r no Mahindras available.

So its better i should not participate in rallies

erikofnorway
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by erikofnorway » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:21 pm

Nice to see that WW2 jeeps are being cared for world wide!!! As Chuck so rightfully pointed out, putting a rollcage or bar on this GPW would be all wrong!

Chuck, you may know that Mahindra, being Indian, may possibly not be the vehicle of choice in Pakistan. :roll: Not more than Tupolevs are the aircraft of choice of U.S. Airlines...

Aamir, do you have a photo of under the hood?

Erik
1943 Ford GPW #97472 "Hootin Annie"
1963 Volvo L3314N Feltvogn #2020 "UNIFIL-954"

aamir567
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by aamir567 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:45 pm

Good to know that u ppl r taking keen interest in my Ford GPW 1942.
I dont have under the hood pics , but i will definetely upload more pics soon

Thanx

Tony W
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

roll cage

Post by Tony W » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:26 am

G,day Aamir, Dont wreck your great jeep with all those add ons , you already have the coolest jeep in your club.

Tony
Australia

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 am

Aamir,

I think it's not a bad thing that you are using your jeep as you see fit. It's good to know that at 65+ years old, they will still 'wheel pretty good.

I agree with Chuck and the others too, about adding a roll cage not being the best thing for the originality of the jeep. I wonder about this too...

If you are hitting trails that are truly bad enough to need a cage, the rest of the jeep may not handle them either, and you, the driver will not be the only "part" of your jeep prone to becoming "broke". I can't imagine these frames taking too much abuse before they twist, and the axles and housings are very frail to today's standards either.

If you wheel your jeep carefully on trails that you and it can hanlde, there's not a need for a cage.

If you insist on a cage, switch your frame to a MD Juan frame and then weld up your cage on the OUTSIDE of the tub. It'll look funny, but it will give you some added protection against body dings and act like rock sliders too. Then come up around the tub and overhead for the crush protection for you.

Just a thought if you HAVE to do all that stuff. You probably do have the COOLEST jeep in your club!

aamir567
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by aamir567 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:52 am

I restored it in 1990. It took me almost one year to restore.
I am using my Ford GPW 1942 on extreme offroading on its original specs.
So far so good. My Ford GPW compete with all the 4x4's in our club ( Islamabad Jeep Club ) Pakistan.
Its performance is also up to the mark.

Rally organisers some time ask for Mandatory Roll bar & Seat belts.

I think i use it for Offroading events within our club n should not take part in competetions where roll bar is Mandatory.

Aamir Malik

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”