How to repair a MB/GPW fuel gauge. Lots of pics

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
JAB
G-General
G-General

Re: How to repair a MB/GPW fuel gauge. Lots of pics

Post by JAB » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:37 pm

I just want to add my "THANK YOU!" to Elwood! After all these years this sticky still has good pictures that enabled me to save my original gauge! THANK YOU!!!!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

rick1957
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by rick1957 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:50 am

I recently repaired an original 6v fuel gauge on my ‘44 MB.
Post to post reading 33.4 ohms, left post center 48.2 ohms. Also soldered additional wire from gauge to inside of case for improved ground.
Post repair, as a test, I connected IGN post then subsequently connected the GA post to known good ground. Needle immediately jumps to “F” (is this normal?). I then Installed the gauge in the Jeep and the needle stayed on “E”. HOWEVER, when I began to drive the needle intermittently rapidly toggles between “E” and “F”. I am beginning to lose my mind. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:18 am

I had a lot of trouble with one and finally gave up bought a new one, but I did learn that grounding in very important on these. The case of the gauge must be grounded, even if the wires are hooked up on the back, and the gas tank must be grounded properly. The original ground for the tank is the fuel line. If you install an aftermarket filter with rubber hoses you may have cut the ground if the tank isn’t grounded in some other way.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:10 am

rick1957 wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:50 am
I recently repaired an original 6v fuel gauge on my ‘44 MB.
Post to post reading 33.4 ohms, left post center 48.2 ohms. Also soldered additional wire from gauge to inside of case for improved ground.
Post repair, as a test, I connected IGN post then subsequently connected the GA post to known good ground. Needle immediately jumps to “F” (is this normal?). I then Installed the gauge in the Jeep and the needle stayed on “E”. HOWEVER, when I began to drive the needle intermittently rapidly toggles between “E” and “F”. I am beginning to lose my mind. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Rick,
Here you will find information to fix your issue.
viewtopic.php?p=1848634#p1848634
Yves
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”