1944 Willys MB/GPW

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
JeepRDT
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Re: 1944 Willys MB/GPW

Post by JeepRDT » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:24 pm

Thanks for the info on the steering box rebuild 70th Division. I figured I needed to stay away from Omix.

I ordered the rebuild parts from Ron and just ordered the worm gear from Staman. I'll be working on reassembly next weekend. This weekend I have been working on disassembly and cleaning the parts.

The steering box was filled with red grease which took a while to get cleaned out. The freeze plug was missing so who knows how long it was dripping grease!
steering box 1.jpg
Someone had replaced the sector shaft at some point with a repro one. I think I am going to swap it for one that I took from a CJ-2A steering box that had little wear.
steering box 2.jpg
steering box 3.jpg
I'm not sure what kind of worm gear was in there, but it had tons of wear. I also found that one of the bearing ball cups had a crack in it. All of that will be replaced.
steering box 5.jpg
steering box 6.jpg
Next step is to get the bushings out...

Scrumps
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Scrumps » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:37 am

JeepRDT,

When you have finished, I recommend this as the lubricant:-

http://penriteclassicoils.co.uk/product ... -box-lube/

Scrumps
Dec '42 Willys MB
Aug ‘44 Willys MB
2021 New Defender 90 D250 HSE
2005 Landrover 90 CSW
2024 Range Rover Sport
1967 MGB
Royal Navy Weapons Engineer 1979-2007.

JeepRDT
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by JeepRDT » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:56 pm

I've been busy moving, but now that I am mostly settled time to get back to work on the Jeep!

I did get the steering box rebuilt with a Staman worm gear and it seems to be working pretty well.

I am currently starting the process of disassembly and trying to figure out what pieces are original and what parts are new, repro, CJ, etc.

There is a boatload of bondo all over this thing unfortunately, but the heat gun and a scraper makes pretty quick work at it. I am planning on cleaning up the tub as one of the last parts of this project, so I probably wont do much more scraping until I am ready to work on the tub.
IMG_3128.JPG
Got the fenders and grille off relatively quickly. Almost all of the bolts were replaced when someone rebuilt this in the 80's so they were not too rusty.
IMG_3130.JPG
IMG_3132.JPG
I am curious if the horn is original. It does not look like other Jeep horns that I have seen, but it looks to be about the right vintage. I did not see any markings on it.
IMG_3133.JPG
IMG_3134.JPG
I peeled some of the paint off the hood and it looks like there may be some original olive drab on the underside which is really cool to see!
IMG_3135.JPG
Got the passenger seat out too and the floor underneath was pretty rusty. I am likely going to have to put a new piece of steel there in the future.
IMG_3137.JPG
IMG_3138.JPG
That's all for now. Hopefully I can keep posting my progress on this without so many long pauses in between!

Ryan

JeepRDT
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by JeepRDT » Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:19 pm

Progress Update:

Got the tub removed with the help of my dad and the engine hoist. Looks to be in decent shape on the bottom. Typical rust on the support channels.

Got the engine out as well. Unfortunately it is not the original engine for this vehicle, I believe it is a CJ-2A engine. My current plan it to reuse this engine and put the T-84 back in since I do have that.

The frame appears to be in good shape with no major rust issues.

That's all for now...
Tub.JPG
tub 2.JPG
Frame.JPG
engine.JPG
frame 2.JPG

DWesol
SGT/USMC
SGT/USMC

Post by DWesol » Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:09 pm

JeepRDT,
You are making good progress. Thanks for the update and photos.

No, your horn is not original.

Dont forget to look under the hood for a registration number. Sometimes mechanics painted the numbers on the underside of the hood to make them easier to read when servicing.
Like this:

1942 GPW 55791 DOD 8-12-42 USA # 20144366 (Original)
1943 Bantam T 3 21392 DOD 6-21-43 USA # 0270225 (Original)
Midwest Military Vehicle Association - www.MMVA.us
MVPA 28115
www.MVPA.org/Oshkosh

eod1
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by eod1 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:20 am

Be ready for the sticker shock on restoring on of these WWII Jeeps. Do not let it deter you from doing it.In the end it will be worth it. Are you going for a factory, motor pool or combat restore?
Retired
1/75 RGR Regt
20 years getting paid to take care of other peoples problems
T33 Trainer Jet
1942 GPW SAS Jeep
1944 GPW
MD500 Little Bird
LETS GO BRANDON!!!!

JeepRDT
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by JeepRDT » Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:12 pm

DWesol - I'll keep that in mind before I strip the paint off. Never would have thought to check there!

eod1- I restored a CJ-2A a while back, so I know how expensive it can be. I'm just going to take it piece by piece as money allows. I want to go back to original as possible, but I am not sure if it was a Marine Corps or Navy jeep. Most people have thought Marines because of the hooks on the frame, but I think that could mean Navy as well if I am not mistaken. Anyways probably somewhere between a motor pool and combat resto. Definitely not going for a factory finish.

Started looking at the rear brakes and drums. Unfortunately someone put 11" brakes on it, so thats all going to have to be replaced with 9". I think the hubs are original, so I may try and get those off the 11" drums. I am hoping I don't have to rebuild the rear diff, but I have not taken the cover off yet to take a look at the condition.

Also got the master cylinder out. Looks like a repro to me, but i have not checked on the marking numbers yet.
IMG_3261.JPG
IMG_3271.JPG
IMG_3262.JPG

TR BUCK
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by TR BUCK » Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:46 am

When you replace the 11 inch brakes with 9", I would be interested in the 11' brake setup.

eod1
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by eod1 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:28 am

Here is a link to everything for the brakes but drum.
https://jeep1942.com/?page_id=11640

After Bead blasting and cleaning the old parts on my GPW. I had a lot of metal flaking going on as well. Then painting and buying all the hardware, my time and everything else, the second go around I just bought a set like this. My axles were extremely rusted and the flaking was bad. All the time I spent trying to save these parts was just a waste of time. Now when I look at a axle, if there is a lot of flaking going on I just order a set like this and get on with my build.
Retired
1/75 RGR Regt
20 years getting paid to take care of other peoples problems
T33 Trainer Jet
1942 GPW SAS Jeep
1944 GPW
MD500 Little Bird
LETS GO BRANDON!!!!

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”