Installation of Axle inner oil seals

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
erik70rt
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Installation of Axle inner oil seals

Post by erik70rt » Tue May 30, 2023 5:05 am

Does anyone have a good tip for installing the inner axle oil seals? I read in the manual about using a special installation tool but I don't have one. Perhaps a socket on a long extension?

savmag
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Installation of Axle inner oil seals

Post by savmag » Tue May 30, 2023 6:17 am

What I did during my last axle rebuild was the below. I will give metric sizes but same results can be achieved with inch equivalents.

I used a 2 meter M16 threaded shaft/rod made from steel (not normal iron. Iron is soft and it may break or bend). I cut it at about 1.60 m. I also used

2x M16 wide washers
2x M18 wide washers and
2x M16 nuts and standard washers.

You begin by installing one nut and then insert the threaded shaft through the axle drum side. When the shaft will enter the differential case, you will then stack 1x standard M16 washer and 2x M18 wide washers and secure them with a standard washer and nut. This creates a hand made "replacer" tool. The M18 wide washer (and its inch equivalent) has the correct diameter to fit inside the internal seal outer recess. You hammer the shaft until the oil seal gets in the hole and partially seated. You then remove the M18 washers and install the M16 wide washers which have an external diameter equal to the external diameter of the seal when compressed in the housing. You then hammer again in order to seat properly the seals.

The below drawing may help you understand better through my weird English.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue May 30, 2023 8:16 am

We don't have iron material here; only steel. So any rod you find will be steel.
I used a 2 1/4 inch steel bar and drove the seals in with a hammer. But most people don't have 3 foot lengths of solid steel bar. You could use a pipe too just smaller than the OD of the seal.
BTW your English is fine; better than people around where I live!
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

OldGPW
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by OldGPW » Tue May 30, 2023 2:59 pm

To knock it out I use a wooden broomstick. To install it I use a socket and a short extension. Start it carefully and be sure it's square to the bore; not crooked.
Old GPW.

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Tue May 30, 2023 10:34 pm

erik70rt wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:05 am
Does anyone have a good tip for installing the inner axle oil seals? I read in the manual about using a special installation tool but I don't have one. Perhaps a socket on a long extension?
Another useful advice :wink: :

There is usually a small conical guide fitted either side inside the seal to ensure the axle goes in square so the splines don't cut the seal when refitting the axle.
Make sure the oil seal lip is toward the oil in the differential & lip is greased prior to fitting the axle . Also the axle sealing surface/area is smooth & not pitted.
Yves
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed May 31, 2023 4:41 am

erik70rt wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:05 am
Hello Eric,

Once you get everything clean, installation is pretty easy.
Here are a few pics of how I did it on my 1943 GPW.
I removed the ring and carrier, which can be done without any issues, and just set back in and the bearing caps torqued down again.
No special tools really needed, just this kit, and a small hammer.
seal11.jpeg
First item I got was this set of seal driver disks form harbor freight, about $20, and you use be able to use these in many areas of the jeep.
seal12.jpeg
seal9.jpeg
I also first slid in axle guides,on each side first, to protect the seal when installing the axles.
These go in before the seals, they just slide in.
These are the conical guides that Yves mentions above.
I ordered these from European suppliers, as I couldn't find any here.
Some people use them others don't, not sure of when these came into use, but they do work great, and ramp the axle shaft right into the center of the seal when slowly and carefully inserting the axles back into position, protecting the new seals.
seal1.jpeg
Here is the correct size disk from the kit, 20mm is marked on it.
seal2.jpeg
seal3.jpeg
Just carefully hold it in position once you get the seal lined up straight, and tap it in with the disk.
Just watch you finger when taping !!
Once you get it started, tap around in a circular pattern working it into position.
This will seat the seal right in to where it needs to be.
It really is that easy, and be sure to put the seal in correctly with the taper towards the oil !
seal4.jpeg
I used nos Ford leather seals that are still in perfect shape, and available from sources on ebay,
Ron also has modern rubber seals available, either option should be fine, but many have used the originals.
seal7.jpeg
If using original seals, this side faces the oil, inward toward differential gears.
seal8.jpeg
This is a fresh pack or Ford seals, that will work in the GPW and MB.
seal5.jpeg
Before installing the leather seals, I soak them in gear oil over night, as a recommended practice.

Any further questions, just let me know !!

Good luck !

Best Regards,
Ray
Last edited by 70th Division on Wed May 31, 2023 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

savmag

Post by savmag » Wed May 31, 2023 5:48 am

You were lucky that this method worked for you Ray. This is a nice "must have" kit by the way and a really detailed photographic report!

In my situation unfortunately both seals were so tight on the bore that I could not apply the proper force within the limited space in the differential case, so I had to make this custom "replacer" tool and apply the force from outside the differential.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed May 31, 2023 7:02 am

savmag wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 5:48 am
You were lucky that this method worked for you Ray. This is a nice "must have" kit by the way and a really detailed photographic report!

In my situation unfortunately both seals were so tight on the bore that I could not apply the proper force within the limited space in the differential case, so I had to make this custom "replacer" tool and apply the force from outside the differential.
Hello Savmag,

People have developed different methods to do the same job, and are successful !
You made a great illustrated post as well !!
How are things going in beautiful Greece ?
I have heard of that method being discussed here in the G as well, well done.

After I pulled the axles, and removed the ring and carrier assembly, there was enough room to use the disk and a small hammer.
To remove the old seals, I used a fiberglass broom handle I had laying around.
I tapped out the old seals from each end of the axle housing, and they came right out.
I will also add, if the pinion is staying in position, to cover it with some shop towels to keep any gunk from getting onto it and its lower bearings.
That also helps keep gunk off it, when cleaning out the axle tube housing of old debris and oil sludge that may have leaked through the worn out seals.

Best Regards,
Ray

savmag

Post by savmag » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:52 am

70th Division wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:02 am
savmag wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 5:48 am

Hello Savmag,

People have developed different methods to do the same job, and are successful !
You made a great illustrated post as well !!
How are things going in beautiful Greece ?
I have heard of that method being discussed here in the G as well, well done.

Hi Ray,

Thanks a lot for the compliments regarding my country!! :) The weather here is starting to get hotter by the day and soon it will be the time to start swimming in the sea and sunbathing! May was a peculiar month... some rains scattered all around but ok. Otherwise, everything else is fine and with the better weather the old-timer will enjoy more rides :)
70th Division wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:02 am
After I pulled the axles, and removed the ring and carrier assembly, there was enough room to use the disk and a small hammer.
To remove the old seals, I used a fiberglass broom handle I had laying around.
I tapped out the old seals from each end of the axle housing, and they came right out.
I will also add, if the pinion is staying in position, to cover it with some shop towels to keep any gunk from getting onto it and its lower bearings.
That also helps keep gunk off it, when cleaning out the axle tube housing of old debris and oil sludge that may have leaked through the worn out seals.

Best Regards,
Ray
To share my experience also, I managed to pull out the inner seals with a pry bar. I had to use quite a force. The same applied for the pinion seal. Pried out with a pry-bar and installed it with a big custom driver "replacer" made from hard plastic/nylon compound.

erik70rt
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by erik70rt » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:33 am

70th Division wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 4:41 am

Hello Eric,

Once you get everything clean, installation is pretty easy.
Here are a few pics of how I did it on my 1943 GPW.
I removed the ring and carrier, which can be done without any issues, and just set back in and the bearing caps torqued down again.
No special tools really needed, just this kit, and a small hammer.
seal11.jpeg
First item I got was this set of seal driver disks form harbor freight, about $20, and you use be able to use these in many areas of the jeep.
seal12.jpeg
seal9.jpeg
I also first slid in axle guides,on each side first, to protect the seal when installing the axles.
These go in before the seals, they just slide in.
These are the conical guides that Yves mentions above.
I ordered these from European suppliers, as I couldn't find any here.
Some people use them others don't, not sure of when these came into use, but they do work great, and ramp the axle shaft right into the center of the seal when slowly and carefully inserting the axles back into position, protecting the new seals.
seal1.jpeg
Here is the correct size disk from the kit, 20mm is marked on it.
seal2.jpeg
seal3.jpeg
Just carefully hold it in position once you get the seal lined up straight, and tap it in with the disk.
Just watch you finger when taping !!
Once you get it started, tap around in a circular pattern working it into position.
This will seat the seal right in to where it needs to be.
It really is that easy, and be sure to put the seal in correctly with the taper towards the oil !
seal4.jpeg
I used nos Ford leather seals that are still in perfect shape, and available from sources on ebay,
Ron also has modern rubber seals available, either option should be fine, but many have used the originals.
seal7.jpeg
If using original seals, this side faces the oil, inward toward differential gears.
seal8.jpeg
This is a fresh pack or Ford seals, that will work in the GPW and MB.
seal5.jpeg
Before installing the leather seals, I soak them in gear oil over night, as a recommended practice.

Any further questions, just let me know !!

Good luck !

Best Regards,
Ray
I didn't know about the axle guides. When I pulled it apart, it definitely didn't have those. I have that Maddox set and completely forgot I have it! LOL Duh.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”