Drum park brake cable

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Bluebell
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Drum park brake cable

Post by Bluebell » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:18 pm

Hi Guys, I have an April 1942 Willys which I have upgraded the park brake to the later drum brake. (I went to a dana 18 with a 1.25 inch intermediate shaft. The rest of the Jeep is rebuilt as issued) I assume this is the set up found in a French M201 Hotchkiss jeep? Can someone advise me of what brake cable is used and how it is routed? I have already bought one ( ebrake cable, MB, GPW, CJ2A up to SN 183498 part no. A15149/640353) I assumed this would be the correct one, but this cable would appear to be at least 1 foot too short. I say that because I assume the correct cable would pass from the cane (right side of engine) under the bell housing and go past the right side of the gearbox mount to line up with the long handbrake actuating lever that comes out of the park brake backing plate. I welcome any helpful comments that might help me solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Drum park brake cable

Post by Adam » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:32 pm

2a or late mb cable, if the same, would fasten to the side of the bell housing, passenger side, later bellhousings have a boss there,

cable end bolts to the crossmember. your later T case probably has a long arm, if it came from a jeep with brake cable running on Left side of engine and tranny. u need the short arm on the bottom of the T case bearing housing as on the 2a's. Some long arms have a hole in the middle too that a cable can be hooked to.

Adam

Bluebell
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Bluebell » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:54 pm

My arm has the extra hole.

Bruce W
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Bruce W » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:30 pm

The long arm with the extra hole in the middle is wrong and will not work. It is for a CJ5. I don't know what the extra hole is for, but it is not there to allow the arm to work on older jeeps. The angle of the arm is wrong, and the extra hole will be 2-1/2" from where it needs to be to work in a CJ2-A or a late MB/GPW. If you want this thing to work, you'll have to find the correct arm.
BW
G Trp 2nd Sqdrn 3d Armored Cavalry Ft. Lewis 1970-71. 43GPW(Sarge?) 47CJ2A(Teddy) 47CJ2A(Rusty) 47CJ2A(Zak) 48CJ2A(Lefty) 48CJ2A(Uncle Linden) 53CJ3B(Bulldog) 88XJ(Pluto) NE CO

Bluebell
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Bluebell » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:00 pm

The cable I bought for the CJ2 has the right ends. Sleeve at the top and threaded rod for clevis at the bottom it just needs to be about 14 inches longer. Im not sure how a #A15149 works for an MB because the cable exits the firewall at the top in an MB however the CJ that uses this 42 inch cable exits the firewall lower down, which compensates for the otherwise too short cable. Is there a longer cable available for any other model with the sleeve at trhe top and the thread rod at the bottom? What do the Hotchkiss M201 jeeps use?

Bluebell
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Bluebell » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:12 pm

So, in reply to Bruce. If what you say is correct (and I am not doubting you) which cable is used and how does it mount at the bottom end?
With the long arm (which I have) there is plenty of travel, and the cable could go to it from the left side of the gearbox main mount (above the steel adapter plate. The problem here is that I dont know anything about any of the postwar jeeps and I was thinking that the Drum type park brake was a fairy common upgrade.

Bluebell
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Bluebell » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:30 pm

This photo I found on the net is supposed to be Hotchkiss and I note the cable runs through the crossmember.
Attachments
C67E2776-A04A-4DA4-B916-D995D2D94E70_1_201_a.jpg

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”