valve spring clips

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
slatgrille
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: valve spring clips

Post by slatgrille » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:56 pm

When I was a lad (15 yo), my dad and I picked up some 'old' spare engine parts from a farmer a few towns over. These parts were to be used on my first jeep...a '47 2A. Not knowing much about differences back in those days ('79-'80), I went and took apart one of the engine blocks we bought....which had all of these clips in the valve train. Even had a 'strange' intake manifold with the carb. mounting at 90 deg.! If I only knew then what I probably had! Both the clips and manifold have long since disappeared. Never knew about serial numbers so can only imagine if I had an MA or civvy block...

The pitfalls of youth.... :cry:

Craig

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:34 am

Story of my life, Craig.
Too young dumb and too late smart.
There are things in my life I wish I had back.
But not everything. 8)
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 46 yrs)
EAA ( 46 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Frankie
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Frankie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:31 am

Those valve springs and the adjusters with separate nut were not just an “early” thing, nor limited to Willy’s. Nor were they always changed on rebuild. GPW second contract still called for them. Was second contract considered early? GPW22192 was rebuilt at some point by the military and the early adjusters were not changed but the springs were not reinstalled. When I found that self locking adjusters were available, I bought some and installed them in 22192.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”