Help identifying engine and more

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Father&Son
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Help identifying engine and more

Post by Father&Son » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:49 pm

First time post and very excited to be on this new journey. My son (13) and I recently purchased an MB (we hope), but aren't sure the year and figured the images might help identify more info. I apologize ahead of time if my language is incorrect in identifying parts.

Yesterday we removed the tub and that gave us access to a lot more numbers that may help. If there is a website that I could easily search (there probably is) - I would love that.

I tried to upload photos, but files were too large, so here are the numbers.

Transmission Brown-Lipe Gear Box
Mfd by: Spicer Manufacturing Corp
Toledo, Ohio
Model: 18
Serial: J 355916

Next to Drive Shaft: 635 857 WOF (or CP?)
FAP 1

Side of Drive Box T84J - 1A
W G DIV
???

Cranking Motor (Starter)
MZ 4113

Engine # (behind oil) 544474

Right Side Engine Block 1-22 638632 W5 A NI-OR

Engine Head FIRING ORDER 1-3-4-2
??? CLEARANCE ENGINE COLD
INTAKE-014 EXHAUST -014
WILLYS
JEEP

Engine Head 1-19
639660C
W5

Left side engine block 6

Hopefully these help. As I said, we are super excited to try this project together. Neither of us have much mechanical skill, so that is our investment in learning. The goal is 3 years (while reality is we are ok going much longer)...ultimately gaining knowledge along the way.

Thank you to everyone!
Kevin & Fin

donk_316
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Help identifying engine and more

Post by donk_316 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:17 am

Engine number behind the oil filter on the block is MB544474 ?
Any glove box data plates?
Check for ACM number on drivers side tub gusset (under hood by drivers feet)
Frame number will be on a little aluminum plate by the front bumper on the frame

Those are the 3 numbers that matter

Everything else just dates random bits of the drivetrain. Already you have some late 45 parts and some WOF post war replacements.
GPW 112092 04-30-43 USA 20372531 (orig)

Father&Son
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Father&Son » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:00 am

Thank you for your reply.

There are two of the 3 glove box data plates (of course, the serial # is missing)

The two remaining describe the transmission & transfer case.

Far Right one - not sure it helps.
Transfer Case In: (High)/(Low)
High: 60/33mph
Intermediate: 41/21
Low: 24/12
Reverse: 18/9

Adam
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Adam » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:13 pm

Looks like a 1945 mb engine, cast on 1-22
Engine head cast 1-19 correct for late war jeep

Adam

Father&Son
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Father&Son » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:33 pm

Thanks so much Adam!

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:37 pm

Put where you are; and if close I or another G member will come over and help you. I am in N Western IL.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Adam
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Adam » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:15 pm

J355xxx is transfer case serial number, earlier than engine, there is a date on top of tranny, right rear on top of case.

Adam

cbennett
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by cbennett » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:16 pm

Kevin,

Welcome to a wonderful hobby to share with your son. I am rebuilding a '42 MB with my 11 yr old. They will learn skills that last a lifetime and quite honestly I think today's youth are missing out on.

I have these transfer cases on either side of yours in my small database gleaned from info here on the G503 site:

Serial No. Cast Date
J316990 27 October 1944
J334669 18 December 1944
J355916 YOURS (I'd estimate mid Jan '45 to mid Feb '45 ??)
J375300 14 March 1945
J377267 16 March 1945

I think this might actually be a match to the engine cast in January '45. Adam, do you or any other G503 members have better transfer case data??

Most transfer cases have a date code cast on them. Look for a letter followed by two numbers a space then possibly another number. The letter designates a month. A=Jan, B=Feb, etc. The first number is the day. The second number (if present) is the year.

From Jim Kilbourne's engine data, MB-544474 was probably installed in a Jeep chassis between MB-412XXX and MB-423XXX with a Date of Delivery (DoD) between early Feb and early March of 1945. So there is a possibility that the transfer case is from that same time frame. It will be interesting to see if you find a date code on the transmission. It's stamped on the top machined surface of the main housing where the shift tower bolts. It will be on the passenger's side. These codes are MDDYY with the Month being a letter code like the transfer cases.

Cam Bennett
Willys Script MB-127897 (CHI) flat top grill, DoD 3-16-42

Father&Son
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Father&Son » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:57 pm

Oh! Awesome! Thanks so much for that info. Just ran downstairs to tell my son!

As for the transfer case #... If I am giving you the correct number, I found A438 today when pressure washing. Does that sound accurate?

cbennett
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by cbennett » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:41 pm

Glad to help.

Decoding these things is kinda fun isn’t it!

I’m relatively new to this also and everyone on the G503 is very helpful. Always trying to help each other out.

A438 doesn’t seem right for a date code. It is however a Part number for the clutch bell housing. Was this number on the transfer case or was it on the larger round housing that mounts the transmission to the back of the engine?

The date codes for the transfer case can be in a few different places depending on when it was cast. But most of the time it’s on the rear of the housing between the round cover with 5 bolts and the rear driveshaft. Sometimes it’s hidden behind the park brake bracket.

If my theory is correct you should find either: AXX5 or BXX5. The XX is the day and can be one or two digits. Sometimes the year digit (5 in this case) is not present.

Did you find any stamped characters on the transmission upper housing?
Willys Script MB-127897 (CHI) flat top grill, DoD 3-16-42

Father&Son
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Father&Son » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:09 am

cbennett wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:41 pm
Glad to help.

Decoding these things is kinda fun isn’t it!

I’m relatively new to this also and everyone on the G503 is very helpful. Always trying to help each other out.

A438 doesn’t seem right for a date code. It is however a Part number for the clutch bell housing. Was this number on the transfer case or was it on the larger round housing that mounts the transmission to the back of the engine?

The date codes for the transfer case can be in a few different places depending on when it was cast. But most of the time it’s on the rear of the housing between the round cover with 5 bolts and the rear driveshaft. Sometimes it’s hidden behind the park brake bracket.

If my theory is correct you should find either: AXX5 or BXX5. The XX is the day and can be one or two digits. Sometimes the year digit (5 in this case) is not present.

Did you find any stamped characters on the transmission upper housing?
Took me a bit to clean it up and get back outside to work on, but here are some #'s I found to the right of the round cover/5 bolts. Does this help?
Attachments
Transfer Case 2.jpg
Transfer Case 1.jpg

Scrumps
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Scrumps » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:37 am

Hi,

1. If you add your location to your profile, it will help people help you.
2. Have you looked on the inside face of the drivers front frame horn for the frame ID number? The small silver rectangle in this shot of mine. Image
3. Welcome - I’ve only been here for “one Jeep” but it’s a wealth of info around here.

Scrumps

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”