Fuel pump diaphragm

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Bart1015
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Fuel pump diaphragm

Post by Bart1015 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:27 am

Hello all,

I am trying to rebuild two fuel pumps. At this point, I only need the diaphragms that are comparable with the new fuels.

Does anyone sell just the diaphragms?

Brett
1942 VEP GPW, J-2 winch, BC-659, 1919a4
1945 GPW, 1943 MBT
1967 M151a1/M416 - Sold
www.ToThePointPolygraph.com

artificer
- R.A.E.M.E -

Re: Fuel pump diaphragm

Post by artificer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:26 am

The WW2 Jeep diaphragm fits many vehicles & vice versa.
https://classiccarbs.com.au/index.php?_ ... -900.199D-
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:24 am

Can't help without net digging, but I bought a few a couple of years back after looking on-line at some fuel pump re-builders sites. They sold carb kits and fuel pump diaphragms made for ethanol treated fuels.
I'll see if I can dig or maybe locate the box or two at the house later tonight failing that. I think AC models are the basic background for searching.
V/R W Winget

Edit: 1st what's Ron selling? I'd go there and support him if at all feasible, especially with his Christmas sales discounts. (only full pumps and some mounting gaskets, I checked)
2nd, not saying this is the correct model (I would need the civilian replacement part number to make it easier and that's Joels Forte)
Anyway here's one source of what appear to be pretty through kits, I saw Mule, M715, many CJ variants, but this one seems early Willys and CJ-2, so it may be close (No one buy this based on posting it here till it's confirmed, it's only an example) to the right one :?: :?: :?: .Looks like this one may be for the two stroke (Vac and Fuel)action though when looking at their photo with two diaphragms. Someone may surf through and ID the best kit if they had a pump apart recently.
http://www.then-now-auto.com/product/fu ... chevrolet/
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Bart1015

Post by Bart1015 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:32 pm

Thanks Artificer, that exactly what I was looking for.

Brett
1942 VEP GPW, J-2 winch, BC-659, 1919a4
1945 GPW, 1943 MBT
1967 M151a1/M416 - Sold
www.ToThePointPolygraph.com

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

Post by The Fireman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:00 pm

A year or so ago, I got mine from Terrill Machine Company in Texas

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Terrill- ... 1277346119

The diaphragm as has been noted before is the same as a chevy six cylinder.

Don't remember how much it cost with shipping, but it has worked great.

Frank
The Fireman
NRG

artificer
- R.A.E.M.E -

Post by artificer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:17 pm

A most important aspect is not to use NOS diaphragms & to flex the diaphragm when fitting.
i.e.fit the 6 body screws lightly & fully lift the operating lever & when in that position, tighten the screws with your 3rd hand unless you mount in the vice [recommended]. Doing this allows the return spring which governs fuel pump pressure to operate fully & alleviates possible tearing of the diaphragm on start up.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”