Is this head appropriate?

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Ocracoke01
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Is this head appropriate?

Post by Ocracoke01 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:28 pm

Jeep Friends,
I have recently posted an inquiry about using a Willys head on a GPW engine, then found the GPW engine block has several cracks in the top. Now this is not an issue since I cannot use the block. I have found a Willys block and the Willys head is back in play.

Chad Hightower did a video on "truing" the surface of a M38 "Go Devil" head, casting number 800376 which he said dated the head somewhere around 1944/45. I have one just like it, and mine has the following casting information:

W 5
8 - 48

When I compare my GPW head with the Willys head they appear to be identical. Can anyone convince me not to use this Willys head on my "soon to be purchased" Willys engine? I yield to your vast technical knowledge.

Ron "Ocracoke01"

dpcd67
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Is this head appropriate?

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:54 pm

You have an M38 head, in 51 and 52.
Of course, they are interchangeable with WW2 heads. But would look funny on a WW2 jeep to anyone who knows, which out there in civilian land, is no one.
And it says 6-48 on top, which is the compression.
Last edited by dpcd67 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Ocracoke01
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Ocracoke01 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:04 pm

Thank you for the prompt reply. I am not concerned with someone looking and saying "ooh that is the wrong head". I just want to get the old girl running and enjoy pulling up beside the "fake" jeeps of today - lol. Your reply has helped a lot. Hope to pick up my "new" block block soon. Look for more questions.

Ron "Ocracoke01"

dpcd67
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:08 pm

Ok, then the only configuration difference is that it will have a water pump bypass outlet in the front which you can plug, or if you have a water pump with the port in it (most new ones have it), you can install the bypass elbow hose. Otherwise, drive on.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Charlie
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Charlie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:59 pm

You’re sure the block is scrap? I found several cracks in the top of my block and was told it couldn’t be fixed, then someone on the G told me about ‘lock and stitch’. Found a good old fashioned machine shop who did the job, block repaired.
Charlie

1944MB - MB341432
1943 MBT

Ocracoke01
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Ocracoke01 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:41 pm

Charlie,
Thanks for your reply. We discussed your option. The worst crack is at the front of cylinder one, connecting the cylinder and the water jacket nearest the cylinder. This is at the point where the block wall is at its thinnest. If my new block pans out I believe the expense will be worth it in the long run. Thank you for taking the time to read and offer a suggestion. This is why I am so impressed with the "G".

dpcd67
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:13 am

Not sure where you are but Abrahams can fix most anything; they are the best automotive machine shop in the world, evidenced by the fact that people send them engines from all over; currently they are repairing a Packard flathead V12 from Australia. They have a web site.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Ocracoke01
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Ocracoke01 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:12 pm

dpcd67 -

I am in eastern North Carolina. Thanks for your Abrahams suggestion. I will look him up.

Yes it does have the " water pump bypass outlet in the front" and it is already plugged.

Spent the day stripping parts using the electrolysis process. Have been doing this for years on other items. Real time and energy saver. Reduces the hands-on prep before painting. Removes the paint without using the harmful stripping liquid. Hook the wires properly, mix the solution thoroughly, plug the battery in and sit back and wait.

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”