MVPA 2022 South Bend Indiana

Upcoming events, and post event discussions... and gee things in general...
Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

MVPA 2022 South Bend Indiana

Post by Rustman » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:48 am

Mifflinburg Body & Gear will be at Tables A-34,35,36. Lower level opposite the vehicle displays at the bottom of the stairs.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: MVPA 2022 South Bend Indiana

Post by Rustman » Mon May 30, 2022 6:34 pm

A week from now I'll be all packed up and getting ready to hit the road early in the morning. Looking forward to the convention.

Matt

82ndrecontbp
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by 82ndrecontbp » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:38 am

Matt - your willard battery covers are awesome. Can't wait to see the new and improved version with all the "fine print" molded into them.

As for the event, something is definitely missing from the MVPA. The convention was even smaller than last year, with fewer attendees and fewer vendors. I can't imagine Iowa in 2023 is going to be any better?
Running an org like this is HARD, so I won't impune anyone's efforts - but makes you wonder what's afoot when directors are resigning. Long-time member, no clue (or care) as to any politics involved. But something is amiss. Hope it improves.

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:24 am

Thanks for the words about the batteries.

As I was a participating judge again this year I have some insight to offer. About half the vehicles that REGISTERED did not show up. About half the vendors that PAID for tables did not show up. I think those had a lot to do with inflation and fuel prices. Last year we had a Weasel from Florida. Patrick did not trailer his M-29C all the way from Florida this time. I was not pulling a trailer and driving half that distance. I still saw a physical increase in my fuel costs of about $200. Coming two or three times as far and trailering vehicles could easily be several hundred dollars in fuel over last year. The next two issues that I think impacted attendance this year are discussed in a thread from last year as to the where and why of the 2022 convention. You can look there for the reasons where and when. But the impacts were felt this time in that this venue is not conducive to this type of event and was generally disliked by many attending in 2021. So it might have been an easier decision to forego this one and wait for 2023. The other is the timing of the event. Again, see the other thread for the why it was when it was. But coming from the East Coast the Reading WW2 weekend was just the previous weekend, this kept all my help away this year that attended with my last year as they were all at the big air show and reenactment, the following week they had to go back to work. For others school was still in session. School teachers and members with school age children in some states and districts were unable to attend for that reason. Next year the event is a week later.

I anticipate 2023 to be a good year for the convention. Being in a venue more conducive to a large vehicle show, being later in the year, fuel prices may or may not come down by then, but if they don't we will all have had over a year to adjust our budgets and lifestyles to make arrangements and squeeze those pennies to attend. The central location will bring in others from further West who did not make the drive to South Bend the last two years. The judging process is advancing and maturing as well. More subject matter experts on individual vehicles are stepping up to make judging sheets and criteria specific to makes and models and moving away from generic sheets. I come away with a good vibe.

Matt

Return to “Events”