Car Show Advice

Upcoming events, and post event discussions... and gee things in general...
'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Car Show Advice

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:53 pm

Hi everyone! 8)

So I thought I would ask the seasoned members of the 'Gee' for advice on organizing a car show. I'm trying to help a non-profit that wants to put on a car show (any cars I guess). I mentioned some basics, I don't think they want to do judging (may not have the ability or experience to do that, or they may simply not want to). I suggested categories (antique, special interest, etc) would still work, but let's hear some advice and ideas I can pass along!

I was only asked about it today, so I haven't had a chance to find out specifics of what they can (or want) to do, or what space they have to work with. I know without details it is difficult to really give specific advice, but any and all appreciated.

Start sharing your experience/advice in organizing/running a car show. :)

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Car Show Advice

Post by parker007 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:31 pm

your location is important.

Ed Roberts
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ed Roberts » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:22 am

Parker007 is correct. I'd be happy to advise you once you get some particulars known. Ask them for the big parameters first. What do they hope to accomplish? Money, or exposure, community health or what? Finished vehicles or works in progress? Check on the size of their organizing committee. The larger it is generally the less efficient it will be. Who is the shot-caller? Do they have their own resources available, such as funding, advertising and local business support? Do they expect participants to pay to show a vehicle? Typically, except for a nominal fee, that is a non-starter. Will they cover a participants meal, fuel cost etc? One very important consideration: There are a gazillion "non-profits" out there, and not all are to everyon'e's taste. Where does the money go, and what percentage actually gets to the "good deed". Are they a 501c3 IRS group?

All of that is where I'd begin. Notice I say "begin".
Good luck and would like to hear more,
Eddie
V/r Eddie
1942 GPW #5739 "Sentimental Reasons"
MVPA & MVCC

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:52 pm

Don't neglect Event Insurance to cover the organizers and participants. Each displayer should have their own insurance to cover their own part, but it's advisable to have a single event blanket policy for accidents and idiots.

ALthough I am not a lawyer, I would set up an LLC as the organizer, otherwise your house and personal items are up for grab when things go south. Most don't, but when they do it tends to be a catastrophy. I also tend to be a mega-pessimist!
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:48 pm

Hi!

Good advice!

It's a weekend, so I haven't been able to get a lot of hard information on what they want exactly.

They are located in western Arkansas, and have never held a car show of any kind -that I am aware of- in at least the previous 10 years, perhaps never?

They would like 'antique' cars, or probably just older ones in general (since definitions of 'antique' vary by state, with some as recent as 25 years ago, and others older), so probably something like pre-1985, focusing on the usual '20s, '30s, '40s, '50s, '60s, '70s, cars mostly, but that's strictly my guess.

I will inquire to find out more, bear with me. Much appreciated gentlemen! 8)

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:24 pm

Here we go gentleman, some specifics:

I talked to the head -the President of the local organization will call the shots.

Here are some details on what they are, and hope to do:

"It’s a women’s service organization doing it as part of our fundraiser to support our community outreach programs like skills classes for foster youth and our preservation of the oldest surviving building in our downtown (and I think actually in our town now).

There will be a couple of us organizing the car show part. No entrance fee. Just classic cars (no projects unless special permissions).

We hope to make some money but we also are having a shopping event with local businesses inside. The plan for car show is to bring the men out with the women to spend some money at our vendors to help small business and help us."

Return to “Events”