Stupidity ruins it for everyone

Upcoming events, and post event discussions... and gee things in general...
Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Stupidity ruins it for everyone

Post by Marty, SoCal » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:56 am

I was forwarded this notice from the President of the MVPA by a friend who still is a member of the MVPA

Thought I'd post it here as I haven't seen it anywhere else and the General Discussion forum is gone and it does effect Events.

December 15, 2020

Dear MVPA Member,

To state the obvious, 2020 has been a challenging year for all us. Lives, businesses, and organizations have been disrupted to a level few of us would have imagined just a year ago. As we have made unprecedented adjustments in our lives, the matters of the day-to-day world—which would have occurred despite a pandemic—continue to happen. That is true for us as individuals as well as organizations such as the MVPA.

The MVPA Board of Directors is addressing a matter which impacts the Association’s relationship with its Affiliates, and which may lead to changes in our Policies, Bylaws, and operations.

In 2019, a MVPA Affiliate was invited to, and did, display historic military vehicles as part of a tribute to veterans at a local event. This is not unusual as many affiliates receive such direct requests in their respective areas, and are free to engage in such events. Like most affiliate activities, this was not a MVPA event, nor was the Association or any of its Directors aware of the event.

Regrettably, at the event a member of the Affiliate and MVPA inadvertently left his personal firearm in his displayed military vehicle. The pistol was loaded and live. Sadly, a spectator child entered the vehicle, found the weapon and discharged it, seriously injuring someone. Certainly, this is a tragedy that all of us wish had not occurred.

Despite no prior notice of, or connection with, the affiliate’s event, the MVPA has been named in the resulting lawsuit. The Association’s attorneys are vigorously defending the claims. The legal proceedings are progressing, slowed by the pandemic circumstances, and the Board is fully engaged in the process.

In the interim, it’s now nearly impossible to obtain insurance coverage comparable to what the MVPA has purchased in the past. Thus, the Board recently informed its Affiliate groups that it is forced to discontinue the MVPA’s affiliate insurance program. These circumstances may require other changes as well. For example, MVPA policies concerning reenactments and firearms, which all members are expected to be familiar with, may be adjusted. Additionally, new policies regarding proof of appropriate vehicle insurance for vehicles displayed at a MVPA and/or MVPA sanctioned events may be put in place. The Board will keep you informed of any other necessary changes.

I’m sure some of you may have additional questions. Under the advice of our counsel, there is nothing further that your MVPA Directors or staff can add at this time. I ask that you please not place the Directors or staff in an awkward position by asking questions that cannot be answered now. Be assured, as we can share more with you, we will.

Thank you for your continued support of the MVPA and the historic military vehicle hobby. As always, we continue to work on other matters of the Association, including the 2021 International Convention in South Bend, Indiana. We look forward to seeing you in South Bend, August 11-14, and hope you all have a safe, healthy, and happy holiday season.

Regards,

Tom Clark, President

Military Vehicle Preservation Association
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

rgmutchler
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: Stupidity ruins it for everyone

Post by rgmutchler » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:19 am

Does anyone know where this occurred. I have google it several ways and kind find no information about it.
RGMutchler
M274A5
M38

rgmutchler
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by rgmutchler » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:07 am

Thanks
RGMutchler
M274A5
M38

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by parker007 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:54 am

Who in there right mind brings loaded gun in jeep to a show!!!!!

sjalbert
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by sjalbert » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:21 am

parker007 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:54 am
I know at least one former police officer that always has a loaded weapon even at venues that explicitly forbid concealed weapons.
Seth
1944 MB 349858, 20620361
1942 MBT 10968 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=149552
1942 MBT 15799, USA 0217497 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=225199
MVPA # 8587
Com / Inst. SMEL
CFII - ASEL
KI5LYB

Collecting Willys Engine Info. Please send me Engine #, Casting Date & Machining Date if known

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:07 pm

I have also received that letter as an MVPA member.
That’s an unbelievable behavior and fault.
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

GPW1263
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by GPW1263 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:29 pm

Careful fellas. A simple oversight does not always rise to the level of "stupidity".

Giving the benefit of the doubt (without additional information) to the person in question this may have been a one-time issue that ended in disaster.

The person may be stupid or he may be a person who had the misfortune of being terribly distracted.

Regrettable? YES! But there are people out there who will cheerfully tar ALL of us with the same brush and no amount of virtue signaling will keep them from it.

vir·tue sig·nal·ing

noun:
the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

So, express your opinions wisely. You may have the misfortune of being the next person labeled 'Stupid'..

Cheers,
GPW1263

GUNNUT in Iowa

Post by GUNNUT in Iowa » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:14 pm

Our society does not teach our children as much about firearms as we should.
1968 M274 A5 Mule
1945 Willys MB

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:39 pm

It's STUPID to leave an unattended firearm, much less a loaded one, where a kid can get it. An open jeep in a public space compounds that.
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Post by Lee Bishop » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:59 pm

parker007 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:54 am
I know several people who bring their concealed weapons to shows. Heck, I've even known re-enactors who wear loaded firearms in their holsters in a few cases in the past (thankfully none I can think of I know today).
But leaving a loaded firearm that anyone can get to at a public event, yeah, not the brightest thing you can do.
Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former US Army Captain and REMF :mrgreen:

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:12 pm

Not defending anyone as there is plenty of blame to go around. The firearm owner had his concealed carry weapon with him. He must drive through a seedy section of Memphis to get to the event. When he got there, he put the weapon in a small canvas duffle bag type thing and buried it under his passenger seat with other canvas. It was not visible, nor inviting. His second mistake was in assuming that today's youth and their millenial parents operate under the same protocols as his generation, where you don't play in other peoples vehicles and you certainly don't go through their belongings in their personal vehicle that you shouldn't be playing in. The weapon was in a closed canvas bag, buried in other canvas stuff under his passenger seat (as I recall). The kid, with his mother watching, was gleefully rooting through the guys stuff.

I'm not judging; merely relating what I recall researching when this happened, mostly to see if I knew the guy.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Ron D
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Ron D » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:49 pm

Tragic. Not even on the same planet as "simple oversight". From what I read about it, the only "blame" belongs entirely to the gun owner. His "mistake" was not keeping control of a loaded weapon, and nothing else. I don't care where the handgun was buried on the jeep, or what neighborhood he had to drive through to get to the show, or what he thought "today's youth" and their parents know or don't know. Even his advanced age isn't an excuse. There is no excuse. It never should've happened. He knew what he was doing and he's responsible for his negligent decision. He made a serious error in judgement and he should be held accountable for it, the same as all of us in the same circumstance. Assuming he had a concealed carry permit he should've left it in the holster on his body where it belongs. Even if this needless tragedy taught him a lesson, it's too bad he'll never legally get a second chance. I hope the victim survived. You want to own a gun? You better understand your responsibility and know what you're doing. I, for one, will thank you for it.

I can sure understand why the MVPA is freaking out over it. Nowadays, the anti-gun nuts will gleefully bankrupt anybody and everybody even remotely connected to things like this. If the MVPA survives, and I hope it does, members better get ready to start signing liability release waivers along with their annual dues increase, as well as at the entrance gates and registration tables of every event or convoy you ever enjoyed. Lawyers got to be paid.
Ron D
1951 M38
1951 M100

GPW1263

Post by GPW1263 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Well, now that we have more info (and assuming that that info is indeed correct) I agree with Ron D - this is not an issue of oversight. He screwed up. An unfortunately, kids are kids. They don't play by anybody's rules. Tragic.

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:34 am

Like I said, I'm not offering a defense for anyone involved.
Gun ownership in general and the act of concealed carry require certain obligations and responsibilities. Having control of your firearm, at all times, being first and foremost.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:26 am

Or this one for those who are not living in the U.S. :wink:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/tennessee-ma ... eball-game

I don’t understand why people are allowed to carry or leave their load firearms unattended during peace time.
During peace time, weapons (not loaded) and ammos should be stored in distinct places so that if you reassemble them together, it means that you have clearly the intent to use the weapon.
That’s how I see safety with weapons.

But of course I’m living in Europe...in peace.
Yves
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

Return to “Events”