Stupidity ruins it for everyone

Upcoming events, and post event discussions... and gee things in general...
Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Stupidity ruins it for everyone

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:39 pm

GPW1263 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:16 am
Choice. That's one of the things that should be respected when we discuss all this. I know I'm gonna be in trouble with someone the moment I press the SUBMIT button but I'm gonna do it anyway.

Cheers
GPW1263
You make a very good point....just where does it stop? I belong to several car clubs and organizations as well as the MVPA.
I do have to say that the MVPA has by far the most restrictions of ANY organization I am familiar with or belong to. Our local car club has three shows each year. Our club belongs to a counsel of car clubs that puts on a huge swap meet....think 800 plus vendor spaces sold and 15,000 plus spectators, for a one day event.
Wheel chocks and such safety choices are strictly up to the owner. NON of the venues, sponsors, cities, clubs or organizations require ANYTHING. Not even our insurance carriers. 8) These things are not even a thought. Our local car club has one official rule....no drugs or alcohol at our events. We discourage burn outs, reckless driving, or other dangerous stuff, but we can not control any one once they leave our premises.
I am glad we live in the midwest. :D
So...with that said.....whatever we do will never be enough for some. There will always be a nay sayer, nit picker, loop hole finder that will find a hole to walk through and drag the rest of us under. No matter what we do, there will be something we miss. I agree, the more we try, the more it exposes the responsible to danger. So what do we do.....? I have no answer. :cry: :twisted: :twisted:

As to joining a group, I DO have strong feelings that we should. There IS strength in numbers. A small group is MUCH less likely to prevail than a larger, well funded group. Thirty or forty small, unorganized groups just do NOT have the clout that one larger, well organized group does. I too wish the MVPA would lobby better, respond better, organize better, and most of all let us know what is going on better. Yeah....the legal types want us to keep a low profile and keep us in the dark. I understand...but hate it.
If it was not for the the very brief (and NON informative) blurb put out by the MVPA, AND THIS TOPIC ON THE G, I would know NOTHING about this. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

So do not blow this topic away on this site!
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

lepercolony
banned

Post by lepercolony » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:00 am

I'm a newbie here and not a member of a national or state mv club or group. But I did notice that the legal team representing the family that is suing is Morgan and Morgan, a widely advertised personal injury law firm. So, IMO, it's all about the money. Still doesn't make sense to me why your national organization is being sued when they knew nothing about it or had anything to do with it. Just going after the deep pockets, I guess.
B.R. Phillips
Fairbanks, AK

warbrds
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by warbrds » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:11 am

The guy never, ever should’ve left a loaded firearm out of his physical control.
He is responsible for this and needs retake firearms safety classes and own up to what happened
And then maybe, maybe, be allowed to have a firearm

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:14 pm

MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

warbrds

Post by warbrds » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:57 pm

Does not change the fact he screwed up big time
And with his background he should have known better......

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:53 pm

Mark Tombleson wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:14 pm
This is all I could find.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/05/charles-mcfarland-jr/
Thank you Mark for the factual report. There is one thing your story brought out and astounds me.

This occurred in May of 2019 Why in the name of all that is holy....why are we just finding it out now :?:

As a long term member of the MVPA and supporter, I feel betrayed that this has been kept "out of sight" of the organization until now. I am finding it harder and harder to support an organization that won't lobby in my (our) behalf, seems to want to hide things from the membership and gives the appearance of not listening to it's members. I KNOW that in the past they have done many good things and WERE moving in good directions. I no longer know this.
Please prove me wrong!

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:36 am

I don't know why you are just finding out about it now as it was a very common posting across a wide range of MV related forums and social media at the time. Why would the MVPA make any statement at the time? They weren't involved until they were named in the suit. Any lawyer will tell you that most times you should just remain silent so as not to implicate or involve yourself.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:00 am

D Pizzoferrato wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:36 am
I don't know why you are just finding out about it now as it was a very common posting across a wide range of MV related forums and social media at the time. Why would the MVPA make any statement at the time? They weren't involved until they were named in the suit. Any lawyer will tell you that most times you should just remain silent so as not to implicate or involve yourself.
Good question. :D I don't do social media. period. I don't do 24/7 surveillance of MV sites, except the G503 and G838 sites, and only a couple of topics there. I have a life and can not watch things all day on the computer. I also check the MVPA site about once a week or maybe two weeks....nothing seems to change there. :roll:

OK, you make a valid point, but I just don't follow most sites. Those I do follow did not let me know that the event had happened. I would have thought the MVPA would have, or maybe should have, made a small statement that SOMETHING bad had happened at an affiliate event, just as a "news" item. If they did, I sure missed it! Others I do keep in touch with also missed it. So....it is/was a surprise. I still support the MVPA, but I AM ticked off about not knowing.
As to he legal angle...... :twisted: .....I mostly understand.....but hate it.

BTW, just when DID the MVPA get drug in? Might mitigate my feelings some. :D
Long time MVPA member #555

RCASSIN
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by RCASSIN » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:45 am

I think no one cared until the law suit was filed... maybe that just happened?
2000 USMC Kawasaki KLR 650
42 WLA Harley
41 600 Zundapp
41 M-20 BSA
76 Condor
42 Diamond T Halftrack
42 Scout car

warbrds

Post by warbrds » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:02 am

The guy is totally responsible for what happened, no one else

pidadillylily
banned

Post by pidadillylily » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:06 pm

I thought there was a post on this thread early on that linked a news story that described the details. I also thought there was a post that actually linked to the court docket and filings that listed all the people and entities involved and dates. But both of those posts have "disappeared". Hmmmm...

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:30 am

May I ask if there are good news from the poor woman sent to the hospital in a critical state?
Yves
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

Tim Shanteler
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tim Shanteler » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:28 am

Yeah, that's what kidda got lost in this whole thread...
Tim

1945 WC-57 81674456
1944 WC-52 81750129
1945 MB 430629
1943 Ford GPW133609
1943 Ben Hur 0347395 (Gertstenlager)

southerncomfort
banned

Post by southerncomfort » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:30 am

Apparently she has recovered enough to retain an attorney. No updates on her condition or the legal charges against Mr. McFarland, Jr. Presume court cases are way behind due to COVID.

Tim Shanteler
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tim Shanteler » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:43 am

Thanks for that update.
Tim

1945 WC-57 81674456
1944 WC-52 81750129
1945 MB 430629
1943 Ford GPW133609
1943 Ben Hur 0347395 (Gertstenlager)