Want to take your jeep to Normandy?

Upcoming events, and post event discussions... and gee things in general...
ghiltgen
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Want to take your jeep to Normandy?

Post by ghiltgen » Wed May 02, 2018 7:10 pm

I am looking for 1 or 2 people from the Mid West US to share the cost of a shipping create to take Jeeps to Normandy for DDay plus 75 year anniversary (2019). Full size create can hold 3 Jeeps. Please PM me if your ready to make a commitment to go!

Thank you
ghiltgen
1943 MB SN 226406
Veteran Award, Motorpool Class 2021
GPW 127386
1948 CJ2A
MVPA member 36543

hummermark

Re: Want to take your jeep to Normandy?

Post by hummermark » Thu May 03, 2018 12:03 am

If it's any help the container firms I have used from the USA to uk can get 6 ww2 jeep in a full size container screen folded down they make a frame so can put one above another,6 would bring down cost down to $500 ish each jeep each way.
M1030M1 JP8 diesel
2008 M1113 Humvee
Cushman 53
M10 Achilles
M274 A2 Mule
Matchless g3l
1944 WLA
M1030 KLR 650
Gpa

ghiltgen

Post by ghiltgen » Fri May 04, 2018 9:34 am

Can you pm me with the name of the company you’ve used
ghiltgen
1943 MB SN 226406
Veteran Award, Motorpool Class 2021
GPW 127386
1948 CJ2A
MVPA member 36543

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by DDTrustee » Fri May 04, 2018 9:54 am

Not to HIJACK the thread:

Looking for another person w/ longer vehicle (or two jeep guys to put their behind the carryall in a 40'er) to SHARE A COUNTAINER from Houston to Southampton, UK in April or May for the 75th DD. I'll be putting in a WC26. Will split the cost, load ourselves in Houston. Have assistance at UK for unloading and temp storage for a small fee and expenses. I have a shipping company account already.
PM for information...and discussions....will do this via cellphone....all documentation will be handed by the exporter in Houston with the company I do business with.
reenacting and WWII history

Mantruck
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Mantruck » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:31 am

Hi, where are you shipping your jeep from and what is the dates you are going? I am looking to ship my GPW to france as well for the D-Day 75.

warren

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by DDTrustee » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Shipping a WC26 carryall from HOUSTON to LONDON. I have someone in London that will accept and get them out of the container and hold in a garage for arrival. I'm going to sell the WC26 in Europe after September so will not be transporting it back but you can arrange that with the outbound shipping company if you know when you are through with D-Day deal.

hummermark

Post by hummermark » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:13 am

Hi if anyone wants to sell there jeep after bringing it over from the us to Europe next year (2019) I would be interested in buying it and I pay the shipping.
I can Recive a container or pick up if you ship ro/ro can store till you come over would need good pictures and agree price before.
Would also be interested in 1/2 track with winch also.
Thanks mark
M1030M1 JP8 diesel
2008 M1113 Humvee
Cushman 53
M10 Achilles
M274 A2 Mule
Matchless g3l
1944 WLA
M1030 KLR 650
Gpa

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Did not want to start a SEPARATE THREAD for this....hope you don't mind!?

Post by DDTrustee » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:10 am

I am preparing, planning, and will ship a 40' container to Southampton, UK, on or about the middle of April, 2019 for the D-Day use. I am putting a WC-26 in the container and there will be room for TWO JEEPS or similar or one more carryall, or MAYBE two Dodge trucks...If we have a Dodge in the mix besides the WC26 we will need measurements. Loading will be in HOUSTON, TEXAS. Return will be HOUSTON TEXAS, but he WC26 carryall is staying in the UK for use at BELTRING at the END OF JULY, 2019. You can leave your jeep until then or split the return container and ship some goodies back in the carryall's space. I can do the loading in HOUSTON in April - you will need to get your Jeep/vehicle to HOUSTON for the loading.....a storage unit near the port makes sense for that if you will not be there to help load your vehicle though your presence is not an absolute must. There will be paperwork involved in the shipping but that just includes TITLE, some ownership documents besides those and photographs. MAINFREIGHT will provide some insurance but HAGERTY is probably necessary to drive once the vehicles land in EUROPE....we will have to investigate that this winter.
I also have the ability to unload in Cherbourg but there are greater logistic problems with that because I know fewer people in the Normandy area and the language barrier. Netherlands (Amsterdam) is also a possibility but cost will be higher for the unloading.
I will arrange the shipping with my account at an international container shipper called MAINFREIGHT.
Container cost ONE WAY to Europe is currently in the $1400 range. Split will be 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3. Container rates vary according to the international economy so could go up or down some from that number. I think I can arrange storage in the KENT, UK, area where you can pick up your vehicle....I think we will have to consider a decent gratuity or MV goods trade of some kind to the person or persons doing this for us....I will not be there to unload but a trusted Military Vehicle guy(s) will be....
On the return the container will be transported to the MIANFREIGHT terminal where it will be unloaded. While there is a general timetable for arrivals the usual is plus or minus a day. Unloading needs to be within a week or so to avoid demurrage charges for the container (rental of the container)
send a PM for additional information and we will exchange phone numbers and email addresses for the set up.

Return to “Events”