Hagerstown, MD 12-14 May 22 (old Aberdeen Show)

Upcoming events, and post event discussions... and gee things in general...
W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Hagerstown, MD 12-14 May 22 (old Aberdeen Show)

Post by W. Winget » Sun May 01, 2022 6:55 pm

Have tickets and loaded out trailer this week for the upcoming show next week. It's Thursday through Saturday, the Museum will be open on Sunday as well, but not the show.
Don't know if they swept the ramp for it this year, it would be easier on walking and carts.
Looking forward to getting out of the house and driving North!
V/R W. Winget
Spaces H & I /10 &11.

Not sure why there's no postings about it, one way to kill an event is to not tell anyone...

Link to last years panoramic video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvUEsIeIVzU
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Hagerstown, MD 12-14 May 22 (old Aberdeen Show)

Post by Rustman » Tue May 10, 2022 1:47 am

Mifflinburg Body & Gear will be there in space J12. Well my wife will be there. I have to TDY for work and Rob is moving his house. But she will be there with some trailer products, battery products and some of my own junk I needed to clean out.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Fri May 13, 2022 6:25 pm

Well the wife was there Thursday and today. She won't be Saturday. Sounds like Thursday was ok, but Friday was very underwhelming for vendors. Was it the weather?

Matt

MP45
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by MP45 » Sun May 15, 2022 5:43 am

I was there Thursday all day & Friday until noon. Pretty good turn out of vehicles compared to the last couple Aberdeen shows.
Vendor turnout seemed a bit low in my opinion but it was a good show overall.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon May 16, 2022 10:33 am

I was there Wed - Sat as vendor.
Overall the economy and other events (Findley next weekend) seemed to impact attendance this year. We will adjust and not loadout the heaviest of items in the future. Only made about $500 after expenses for the group, bought about $750 in items from others myself.

Pros:
Good selection, more vendors than last year. (I overheard only 4 spaces were left on Thursday morning, but you cannot make the buyer show up)
Moving up from last years spots made for a better tarmac, or they swept it, either way we had much less loose concrete under us.
Good food
Bank "bus" onsite for those that attend an event without $35 in their pocket :roll:
Fairly constant crowd walking through, some buying, Sat seemed to just be families out for the 'day', not many needing parts or manuals.

Cons:
Slight drizzle Friday
Some vendors leaving Friday, which is what it is...no arm twisting.
Rain Saturday came in around 2PM VS forecasted 3PM, so it shut things down, but the gate still had people coming out to attend well onto 4PM???
Main lane through the site is a little tight, many are inconsiderate and park blocking the exit or entrance ways.
Others drive their vehicles around continuously down the side aisles showing off? or run their site generators for some obnoxious reason.

Overall glad it's done, for us, you either need a niche item everyone wants, or it's just not profitable. Cleaning out 'extras' and takeoff parts, old manuals can only go so far as those in need want to purchase them, and with gas at $4.30 a gallon and the Economy tanking, hobbies will suffer.
V/R W. Winget

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:54 am

W. Winget wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:33 am

Main lane through the site is a little tight, many are inconsiderate and park blocking the exit or entrance ways.

V/R W. Winget
Finally had a chance to sit down and talk with my better half about the show. This was her big complaint. She said she had trouble finding our row to set up because somebody had parked a trailer in front of the signs with the row letters.

I'll go shopping next year if I'm around, but we won't be setting up.

Matt

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:53 pm

What was the reason the event changed location?

Adam

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:21 pm

Never heard the true reason explained, but there were likely several factors which made it untenable for future use.
Of these I can think of the Baseball season usually started around the time of the show and conflicted with both the facility, and hotel spaces. Then perhaps the image of the flea market vagabond 'look' just prior to family sponsored (little league) activities rubbed some sponsors or people wrong? and there was likely a cost associated with usage, i.e. someone was charging for the lot, which gets expensive, and likely had an increasing fee as the area around there grew up with so many hotels and such.be someone from the WAG group would post something once in a while and answer the questions, the last two years they have been extremely quiet about everything to include advertising the event here, etc.
V/R W. Winget

marsq5
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by marsq5 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:30 am

It got moved because Oct rally the truck driving school had rented area.may it moved to original area, museum does not own lot but owner let's it be used
43 gpw P10043
1/4 T Bantam 1943 acm# 51716
1943 gpw 152633 mvps 2019 veterans award
gpw 20460 frame
3 52 m38

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:42 am

marsq5 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:30 am
It got moved because Oct rally the truck driving school had rented area.may it moved to original area, museum does not own lot but owner let's it be used
I think "moved" in this context is not which lot at Hagerstown but that it's in Hagerstown at all. The rally used to be on Aberdeen Proving Grounds prior to 9/11. Then it was briefly in Churchville, lastly for a long while now it's been at Ripken Stadium in the town of Aberdeen. The October show was the first post-covid opportunity to hold an event and they seized on it. The show has been in May and been in Aberdeen or nearby for decades until recently.

Matt

Return to “Events”