Water Can Gasket Material?

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.
Chuck Lutz

Water Can Gasket Material?

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:55 pm

Got the MONARCH '42 water can cleaned up a bit and got some OD on it today. I noticed that one of the lips on the latch was bent out, looking like it had been forced on, so I bent it back straight in a vise. As I was sanding the can down and getting it ready for paint, I removed the gasket as it was looking pretty rough. It had been used for fuel at some point and about 1/3 up the sides the enamel finish was really damaged and some crap was sitting on the bottom of the can.

When I checked the gasket, it was not a rubber, flat type like the gas can has and was not like the flat, cork type one on my 1951 water can. The lid on the '42 can has a lip that sits up and forms a U shaped area where I removed a piece of material that looked like rope or some woven type of stuff. The fuel that had been stored in the can had impregnated the gasket material and left it pretty messed up.

Now.....what kind of gasket should the '42 water/food can have? Where can I get one? What do they cost?

Thanks....

Chuck

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:24 am

Chuck,an appropriate size of rubber O-ring will work,as sealer and anti rattle,but in case you flip open the lid to show the enamelled interior of a food/water can,the cork gasket as originally fitted would look much better,and the newly founded jerrycan dept. of jeep police would be happier :) Should not be difficult to make,too.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

Chuck Lutz

Dang!

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:37 am

Dang it Luca!

Busted already! OK OK, I'll get out the cork and the razor blade and try to make up a gasket that does not include a blood donation.

Return to “Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans”