U.S. Water Can stenciled markings.

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.
Mike D
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

U.S. Water Can stenciled markings.

Post by Mike D » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:42 am

I have seen water cans marked "W" or "Water" in white paint in photos but how common was red paint? I have a 42 dated can that is marked "W" in red on all four sides.

The lettering was very nicely done and not a sloppy job. The can has never been repainted and the red seems to match the OD as far as aging and fading and nicks/scratches. I stumbled across two '42 dated water cans, one vented Samco, one non vented Caviler at a flea market a few months ago. $10 for both!
Mike DeWeese
10-29-42 Ford GPW #75628
3--43 Willys MBT #24248

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Re: U.S. Water Can stenciled markings.

Post by lucakiki » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:23 am

Mike D wrote:I have seen water cans marked "W" or "Water" in white paint in photos but how common was red paint? I have a 42 dated can that is marked "W" in red on all four sides.

The lettering was very nicely done and not a sloppy job. The can has never been repainted and the red seems to match the OD as far as aging and fading and nicks/scratches. I stumbled across two '42 dated water cans, one vented Samco, one non vented Cavalier at a flea market a few months ago. $10 for both!
Well Mike, I guess you were lucky,and hopefully you did not esitate to part with the tenner. :) They come in handy to show how the pressure relief valve was a 42 thing,and not carried on for long. ( there is just one known exception to the 42 date,but now I cannot remember the post).

As for stenciling, my opinion is that even if after so many years it is not easy to state when they were applied, they are part of the can's history: keping them it is a matter of personal taste.I don't think there is a rule to follow,unless the stencil is too obviously a very recent feature.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

Mike D
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Mike D » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:46 am

Luca,
Not only did I not hesitate but I think I pulled my arm out of joint getting the $10 bill out of my pocket so quick.

Now does the marking of water cans seem to be a PTO thing rather than an ETO thing? Just off the top of my head I don't remember seeing many stenciled cans in many ETO photos but seem to see a lot in Pacific theater photos.

The vented Samco I am repainting(bad paint) and I am going to copy the markings on the red W lettered Cavalier. I leaving the red lettered can original as it also is marked in white hand painted letters " B 10" on both sides.
Mike DeWeese
10-29-42 Ford GPW #75628
3--43 Willys MBT #24248

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

PTO and ETO

Post by lucakiki » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:05 am

Yes Mike , I can relate to that sort of speed! :) When the idea of haggling does not even comes up...Seldom,but it happens...
As for the PTO versus ETO question, all I can say is that there are pictures with white stenciling of the word WATER on a side mounted jerrycan also on ETO. I checked it out when doing that on a friends can.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

Wendy
Santa Cruz Surf Siren
Santa Cruz Surf Siren
Post by Wendy » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:48 am

Hi guys :D !
Nice finds you lucky man Mike! I hope your arm recovers quickly :wink:
Can I ask a related question but not about stencils. What does this vent look like on your can? Is it a little screw-type vent :? ?
Thanks!
Wendy

Mike D
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Mike D » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:00 am

Thanks Wendy. the vent does look like a screw with 2 ears on each side . The one on my can is brass and as you open it it exposes a hole in the hollow screw and it admits air into the can so it pours faster. It staked in so it doesn't screw all the way out and get lost.

http://ww2jerrycans.com/htm/monarch42w-1.htm

The vent on my Samco looks a little different than this Monarch but the location is the same.
Mike DeWeese
10-29-42 Ford GPW #75628
3--43 Willys MBT #24248

SteveJ
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by SteveJ » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:10 am

Ive looked a a bunch of water cans recently (here where its snowing today) :cry: and some had been painted red over the white and had been used at some time for fuel. Unfortunately once used for fuel there is no going back to drinking water. :) I have 42 Cavalier with the vent but it has a little knurled cap but no wings (i think but will have to check) on it for a vent. I also have a 43 cavalier no vent and a 44 cavalier with a non recessed lid and a 44 cavalier with a recessed lid.

As for markings most have the lid painted white. Some have the lid white and a "W" painted on the short side. (These might have been Canadian Markings but I do not know where they originated)
Steve J
1943 Dodge WC52
1986 Armstrong / Harley Davidson MT500 CDN motorcycle

Wendy
Santa Cruz Surf Siren
Santa Cruz Surf Siren
Post by Wendy » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:45 am

Hi guys!
Mike thank you for posting the picture!!! And for the info.

Cheers,
Wendy

Return to “Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans”