Pressure Testing?

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.
USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Pressure Testing?

Post by USAFpj » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:30 pm

I have searched through previous topics, but have not seen how you guys check for pinholes or seam leaks prior to purchasing/selling a can?

If the TM stated that a can needs to hold 15lb steadily, has someone made an apparatus that holds a schrader valve and confirms its worthiness to actually hold fuel without making a mess? Perhaps a cork plug, but wouldn't 15lbs of air push the plug out? Maybe sacrifice a replacement lid to install the air valve?

I have about (30) cans that I would like to be confident in telling a potential buyer that they are 'good to go'... :wink:

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Pressure Testing?

Post by Rustman » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:27 am

I've done it with a gas tank I was repairing. In that case I fitted a Fernco around the filler neck and then went to PVC. For a jerry can you could probably use a rubber test-ball pipe plug like this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/CHERNE-3-in ... /100160348 But for the cost you could also fit a valve to a replacement cap.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

Sargent Resorator
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sargent Resorator » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:28 pm

I would weld a 1/4" pipe collar to a gas can lid. Dill a hole and fill it with air. You need a regulator and pressure gauge. I would not go above 5 psi. Use a soap/water combination spray the container to check for leaks. Very dangerous if you go to 15 psi.

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:48 pm

Sargent Resorator wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:28 pm
I would weld a 1/4" pipe collar to a gas can lid. Dill a hole and fill it with air. You need a regulator and pressure gauge. I would not go above 5 psi. Use a soap/water combination spray the container to check for leaks. Very dangerous if you go to 15 psi.
I missed the suggested pressure by the OP the first time around. You are 100% right. You only need a couple of PSI to do this. 15 will make your jerry can round.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

Return to “Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans”