Restoring inside of Jerry Cans for actual use

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.
1stSgtUSMC
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Restoring inside of Jerry Cans for actual use

Post by 1stSgtUSMC » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:44 pm

Hey Fellas,

I bought 6 Jerry Cans ranging from 1950 to 1970 and I want to clean/ restore inside to utilize them for fuel. How do I do it? Can I utilize rust remover and Im done, or do I need to seal the inside prior to fuel usage? What rust reomover do you all recomend? Tango in advance!

S/F

kevin
Semper Fi
1stSgt USMC Active Duty
1952 M38
1966 614M Trailer

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Re: Restoring inside of Jerry Cans for actual use

Post by gerrykan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:22 pm

Kevin,
I would think a gas tank sealer after de-rusting would be better than bare steel that will rust again at some point.
I have no experience with the tank sealers, but a POR-15 product was mentioned in the past.

There have been several methods showcased here over the years for rust removal including(but not limited to): molasses, vinegar, electrolysis, and placing either ball bearings or gravel in the can and rotating it in a portable concrete mixer.

I'm sure others would be interested in hearing the results of whatever method you may try.
Roy

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:30 pm

Gas cans and gas tanks on vehicles were never lined to begin with. But that works best by either keeping the cans dry with the the caps off so moisture doesn't condense inside the can or FULL of fuel. Diesel tends to coat the inside better than gasoline and a can used for diesel tends to not have the same rust issues. I'm leery of tank lining, heard too may horror stories from the hot rod and motorcycle communities. But I'll be honest, I haven't tried any myself.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:39 pm

1st. Sgt., I recently restored 5 Gerry cans and 2 Water cans. ALL had various levels of rust and Diesel Fuel contamination. I tried Vinegar, C.L.R. and Evapo-Rust with these products netting so-so results for my liking. These methods were too slow for me so I moved to a more expedient method, Muriatic Acid. I only needed 1 gallon.
Do you remember the 7 "P" Rule from Boot Camp? Well, You had better Marine!! I made new cork gaskets for all the bungs, I purchased 6 boxes of Baking Soda, 1 gallon of Dawn Dish Soap, a lint brush (looks like a toilet brush only about 5 times larger), a 4 foot threaded handle to put it on, then waited for a sunny Saturday.
I began with two Gerry Cans at once, filled each with 1/2 gallon of the acid and 1 gallon of clear water. Within an hour the bottoms were clean, I set the cans on their sides and even turned them upside down to get the rust off the "roof" and out of the vent tube. After the first 2 cans received this treatment, I opened them and poured the contents into two more cans and repeated this process. The 1st. 2 cans were then neutralized with 1/2 box of Baking Soda and filled to capacity with clear water. After the fizzing stopped, I poured the water onto my grass and began to rinse with fresh water, 1/4 cup of Dawn. I now used the lint brush and was able to scrub almost the entire inside of the 1st two cans with it. I then poured this water onto the grass as well and rinsed the cans with fresh water, emptied them and set them in the sun to to warm.
I repeated this process until all cans were clean inside. I IMMEDIATELY took all cans to the gas station, poured 1/4 quart of Engine Oil in each can and filled them all to capacity. The oil helps to keep the raw metal inside from rusting. When my cans are going to be empty, I make sure not to empty the can completely. So if a can is to sit empty for any length of time, I pour a small amount of engine oil in, close the bung and swish the gas/oil mixture around the inside of the can. I have been using this method for a long time, it works for me and my Gerry Cans are good to go at any time.
I am not a fan of tank coatings as I have experienced failures even after the "So-Called Experts" cleaned and coated them and emptied my pocket of all cash deposits.
Just my 2 cents here, everyone has His own preference. :wink:
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:27 pm

D.R.H. that was an excellent tutorial! I have a few newer cans that I use for diesel occasionally, but most of the collection is for display or in use for waste oil in my motorpool impression. I will be following your directions when I go to put some cans into service.

Thanks
Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:01 am

After cleaning rust out (Lye, crystal drain opener... works) I use Caswell Fuel tank liner. A smaller can for a motorcycle tank would set you back about $40, it's a 2 part epoxy that seals other coatings that fail (POR15), I just ordered a set for $76 to do a MB fuel tank.
They make it in Red, Black and Clear.
When I say epoxy, it's just that, seals pinholes, coats like glass, will not let the gas (ethanol) touch the metal again. Rock hard.
Do not get it on anything you don't want it on. Had it in my GPW fuel tank for 6+ years, no issues at all.

As to rust removal if it's been degreased, I found Evaporust (or Envirorust) to be the best stuff I've seen, changes the rust at the molecular level? Think it's available in Walmart, a Chelating agent.
Or
You could try Electrolysis if you insulated the inserted the sacrificial rod so it cannot ground out on a side, add soapy water and the negative on the rod...positive on the can (check which way the sacrificial electrode should be connected...doing it backwards would coat the tank VS removing the rust). If done correctly with 12V all the metal should come clean overnight with just 12V DC electricity and soapy water.

V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:12 pm

Rustman, thanks buddy! Very nice of you to say. Col. Winget has some very good suggestions too. I have tried the electrolysis method too but I can't seem to make it work just right. I guess that I am stuck having to resort to removing rust the old fashioned way with elbow grease. It must be my "lot in life" to have been made to suffer so. Wow, that kinda sounds a bit like C3PO... :)
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

wc56daveyboy
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by wc56daveyboy » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:07 am

Some of my later jerry cans (one dated 1953 the other 1968)
Have what looks like a pale yellow “liner” inside.
So some were coated I guess

The 68 is darn near perfect; the 53 has small rust areas in the corners. And slight “bubbling” or surface rust here and there. Nothing bad. Just not perfect.

I’m gonna try cleaning the 53 with a bit of muriatic acid and water. Not full strength.
See if I can get the little bit of rust to dissolve
Before using it.

I’ve used muriatic acid in the past with good results, but as others stated, it will immediately rust again on the now bare metal unless coated right away.

As one poster suggested, put gasoline with a bit of oil in the gas. I like that idea; never tried it though.

Not sure if even a bit of oil in the fuel, once used in the engine, will produce a bit of blue smoke when burning?

illini
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by illini » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:51 am

Great info in this thread. I found this can recently. 1945 Rudy. Looks to be in good shape. Just a little bit of surface rust inside as indicated in the picture. Should I leave that part of it alone or do the tips in the thread? Rest of the inside is great, so don't want to take a step backwards in there.

20240220_044515.jpg
20240220_044543.jpg
M151A2 AMG
1952 M38A1 MD23050 Sold

Klaas
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Klaas » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:14 am

illini wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:51 am
Great info in this thread. I found this can recently. 1945 Rudy. Looks to be in good shape. Just a little bit of surface rust inside as indicated in the picture. Should I leave that part of it alone or do the tips in the thread? Rest of the inside is great, so don't want to take a step backwards in there.
That can looks very good. I would try to get some of that surface rust out by fitting some wire wool (or a cooking pan scrubber) on a stick and rubbing the affected area. Hoover out the debris. Then fill it with diesel fuel or a gasoline / oil mixture (as D.R.H. suggests) if you don't use it, or with regular fuel for use.
Klaas
GPW17331 - April 21 1942 - Dallas, "J-dot"
BSA Airborne Bicycle R49171 - 1944

Return to “Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans”