Help ID jerry can caps US

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.
signsup
banned

Help ID jerry can caps US

Post by signsup » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:17 am

I'm showing a few jerry cans and giving a little talk at our next GA MVPA meeting and noticed that most of my cans have the four loop tabs on the gas cap for removing and tightening. Some of my cans have four bent tabs, no loops and some of my cans have only two bent tabs, not loops. I can't find a pattern for manufacturer or year date to these differences.

Can anyone shed some light on the two tab, four tab, four loop caps?

Thanks in advance.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

Klaas
G-Captain
G-Captain

Re: Help ID jerry can caps US

Post by Klaas » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:45 am

Hi Robert,

Found this old thread: viewtopic.php?t=5537
It gives some (though a bit inconclusive) information about the shape and number of lugs on the screw caps.
I am not an expert on US cans unfortunately and I hope someone who is can give some conclusive evidence.
Klaas
GPW17331 - April 21 1942 - Dallas, "J-dot"
BSA Airborne Bicycle R49171 - 1944

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:12 pm

So if I understand the consensus, the two tab was 41, four loop was remaining war years and some 4 tab lids appear post war or civilian.
So I will dig out a two tab lid to put on my 41 can I have strapped to my April 42 GPW.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:48 pm

Robert,
Since that old(2003-2009) thread it is usually considered that the 2 straight tab cap was used in 1941, but 1941 cans also seem to have had 4 straight tabs with the 2 tab type attaching chain and asbestos gasket.
This was probably a late change, as a tool was sometimes needed to seal or remove the cap, and 4 tabs would have made the job easier.

The 4 rolled tabs seems to have appeared next, with a different attaching chain and a rubber gasket, and remained until post WWII.

The 4 straight tabs reappeared with the later attaching chain and rubber gasket, and I cannot at this time recall the exact time period, but I'm thinking 1980's.
These were used on both civilian and military cans until the end of production.
Roy

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:09 pm

I realize that just because I have one, doesn't mean it is correct. 1951 dated can, four straight tab cap with large link chain and cotter pin attachment. Maybe a lid swap from an earlier 41 can or a much later or civilian can.

I guess for my talk and demonstration, I'll show the 41 can I have with the two tab, small rivet chain and galvanizing indent, the four straight tab lid and then the four loop lids. I'm only discussing WWII cans, so afterwards, …

I've got a spout or two, but no Marine corp can to show with the special spount. Oh, well.

A couple of water cans to show as well.

Thanks for the help.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

Return to “Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans”