YOUR GI CAN

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.
Ben Dover
Gee Addict

YOUR GI CAN

Post by Ben Dover » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:55 am

There's a reason for those 3 handles, those of us who have had to lug a full one a mile or two (or three) have figured it out. The Outside Handle allows the full can to tip outward at the bottom so as not to rub against your leg.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

DodgeMan
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Re: YOUR GI CAN

Post by DodgeMan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:39 am

Had to run a mile over hill and dale with two jerry cans full of water in basic training. Arms felt like they were 10 feet long after that. Another run was two people carrying one jerry can, using one outside handle each.

Ben Dover
Gee Addict

Post by Ben Dover » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:47 am

Somebody's gott gas 'em, I used to use a 2 -1/2 M-49 to gas up trucks in the field, makes it a lot easier.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Fernmelder
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Fernmelder » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:13 pm

There's also the original German military logic for the three handles, courtesy of Wikipedia:

"The Wehrmacht-Einheitskanister, as it was known in Germany, was first developed in 1937 by the Müller engineering firm in Schwelm to a design by their chief engineer Vinzenz Grünvogel.[4] A similar design was used in 1936 during the Spanish Civil War,[5] where they had a company logo for Ambi-Budd Presswerk GmbH. Among others, the Wehrmacht had specified that a soldier should be able to carry either two full containers or four empty ones, which is the reason the triple handles were fitted. To achieve the required filling and draining speed, it was fitted with a large spout and flip top closure. A hole in the closure retainer made it possible to fit a securing pin or wire with a lead seal. The rectangular shape made it stackable. The indentations ensured a full can would not be severely damaged when falling from a vehicle, while a dip coat of paint on the inside protected it from corrosion. "

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:04 pm

Fernmelder wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:13 pm
There's also the original German military logic for the three handles,courtesy of Wikipedia......
Yes Fernmelder, your's is the correct answer.

The three handles also allow the cans to be easily passed between soldiers, as the receiving soldier can grab an unused handle.
One handle would likely require the can to be sat down before passing to the next soldier.

The two outer handles also aid stability in stacking one can upon another in the vertical position.

I was not there when the Germans invented the jerrycan, but I doubt that the Wehrmacht was concerned about approving the can type based upon the fact that it did not rub the soldier's pant leg while carrying.
Roy

Return to “Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans”