Rare Can Bracket Found

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.
AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Rare Can Bracket Found

Post by AZ Jeff » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:24 pm

Howdy Folks,

Recently, a friend in the Phoenix, AZ area bought a pile of WWII Ordnance-related stuff. In this pile was one of the rare stamped steel "skeleton" type WWII can brackets. I recognized it immediately thanks to a worthwhile $40 investment in Becker and Dentzer's "Jeep Bantam-Willys-Ford" reference book. On page 161 they show a period photo taken September 17, 1944 of a U.S. jeep being loaded into a Waco glider. The jeep has one of these brackets mounted on the bumper. In the photo the strap appears to have a large British type frame buckle (like those found on their web gear) -- could this be British made for U.S. use?

Construction is stamped and spot welded steel with reinforcing ribs throughout and plenty of voids to keep it light and conserve metal(?). Bracket strap footman loops are riveted on. It has been postwar overpainted in tan but shows WWII O.D. where the strap once was. I can't post a pic here but if someone else wants to, I'll send them digital pics of this critter.

Very cool and destined for the back of my '44 MB!

Jeff Q.
AZ
'44 MB

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:56 am

Congratulations,Jeff! As you said that kind of bracket is quite uncommon,something that you Americans often define as a conversation piece!And all the guys I know in Italy have only seen it in Becker's book.
I wonder if there are many WWII pictures where it is shown.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

Return to “Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans”